For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Using a Fibre Pen for scratching Hair/fur

Discussion in 'Getting Real!' started by beanpoleuk, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Rick Martin

Rick Martin Detail Decepticon!

I think it made me do a better job yesterday. Going to practice another one today
  2. Micha der Wolf

Micha der Wolf Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

It works!
  3. PogArt

PogArt Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I’ve just went through your keen tutorial Steve...
    Silly me!
    I’m using the same fibre pen for many months,but I have never used it your way?!
    This advice,will let me work with the fibre pen, even more superior to what I used to do ;)
    Thank you for sharing your great ideas Steve ;)
  4. Ricktarsprayer75

Ricktarsprayer75 Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

Thought id join in.
    For all british brushers hobbycraft sells these fibre pens. I bought a 2mm pen earlier this year.
    Not used it much though as ive been airbrushing on thick paper which is impossible to erase or scratch on.
    When i started airbrushing i bought 5 a2 sketch pads of varying weights and tooth or smoothness. I learnt straight away this type of substrate just sucks the paint into its3lf and lines easily look fuzzy. Ive had more success with bristol board as its a bit harder. I can erase to a degree with this paper but scratching is almost impossible as its easy to rip a top layer of paper. Obviously this is due to the paint going into the paper rather than sitting on top.
    Ive since bought some 4g, yupo and 6mm mdf with a tub of gesso.
    ive only used the 4g and yupo on a couple of pics and theyre amazing for scratching. The 4g is harder to work with in my opinion as its harder to erase as the paint cures.
    Yupo has its own problem as its too easy to remove so care must be used.
    Not tried gesso/mdf yet.
    On another note ive found that liquid mask will only work with yupo as it seems to eat into the other substrates, even the 4g. At least the brand i have does.
    I assume gesso/mdf will be ok with it.
    Hope this helps someone who doesnt already know this........b4 they shell out 8n a load of unsuitable paper
    JackEb and retiredgarnham like this.