W500 and Clogging

Mat

Double Actioner
Hi peeps not been on for a bit and not actually AB'd for a few weeks as a few family probs and my back's been bad again : But I'm back again haha....Right now to my point how many peeps have tried the Createx 4012/W500 with Wicked paints???? and what did you think of it have you had any tip dry or the likes????, as I have managed to get a Wicked Primary set with some of the W500 and I have had nothing but clogging on my tips I have run the same reductions through both my Kromes and got the same results does anyone else get this at all ??? :) and have they gone back to 4007 reducer ???

Hi Mat, I started to use the W500/4012 Reducer a few weeks ago and I actually prefer it to the usual reducer; yes I still get the occasional tip dry but no where near the amount I used to get. The weather recently has been incredibly hot in my neck of the woods and this has affected the airbrushing and the paint, so I put a few drops of the Wicked Transparent Base (0200) into the paint with the reducer W500/4012 and this has helped tremendously ( for every drop of reducer I also added a drop of the transparent base). I think the advertising states that it can increase paint flow, so it may be worth a try; certainly worked for me.

I had to tweak it a bit and play with the ratio, when I changed from the Iwata Eclipse to the Iwata Hi-Line I use but it worked very well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Trem ;) after complete frustration I went back to my home made reducer which is what I have used since starting ABing and I was totally amazed it was like a revelation so I asked a friend about the W500 and he said he gave up and went back to 4007 so I told him of how my home made reducer went and he sounded impressed enough to go out and get what I used as he said that when he was using the W500 with his Iwata cup full he'd actually pick the tip 40 to 50 times and after he tried the one I use he was amazed he only had to pick the tip once he said he aint ever going back I loved using the Wicked with even with the W500 as it's just so smooth it feels completely different to the Createx I have used since starting ABing and with the way the Wicked performs now with my reducer I am chomping at the bit to get back on my AB and get painting it just goes on and on till my cup is empty lol ;) I am not sure if many people use their own reducer and have found this as well if not jump on the bus

I have got some trans base and I know what you mean about the heat lol I'm in Manchester it makes a ruddy change to get some kind of a summer in the sunny old UK lol ;) but I will give the trans base a go with the W500 and see if it helps as I brought an extra 3 60 ml bottles with my Wicked set and I just thought to myself, great i have all these now and it seems there not working lol but I'll give it a whirl as it's supposed to be a bit cooler tomorrow and Monday lol so it may help haha

Again thank's for the info Trem it's very much appreciated ;)

Hi Mat, I started to use the W500/4012 Reducer a few weeks ago and I actually prefer it to the usual reducer; yes I still get the occasional tip dry but no where near the amount I used to get. The weather recently has been incredibly hot in my neck of the woods and this has affected the airbrushing and the paint, so I put a few drops of the Wicked Transparent Base (0200) into the paint with the reducer W500/4012 and this has helped tremendously ( for every drop of reducer I also added a drop of the transparent base). I think the advertising states that it can increase paint flow, so it may be worth a try; certainly worked for me.

I had to tweak it a bit and play with the ratio, when I changed from the Iwata Eclipse to the Iwata Hi-Line I use but it worked very well.

Hope this helps.

I started a thread about the W500 a while back. I love almost all of it's properties ( which were in the old reducer, but this does it better), it helps with drying, it's quicker, and cures harder, it keeps the paint mixed better, can apply more paint without craters. But I was disappointed with the tip dry. I don't have much trouble with tip dry anyway, but I'd read that it was supposed to 'virtually eliminate' it and I didn't notice any difference to the old reducer. I have noticed that now the write up says improves tip dry compared to the w100, so maybe they changed the wording. I still thinks it's good and well worth having for all it's other good points. But if you only want it to reduce tip dry, then you're better off adjusting your paint mix and airpressure.

Hi Squishy, have you tried the Wicked Transparent Base (0200) mixed with the W500? If you have I would be interested to find out what you thought about it. I have just started a portrait and the subtle changes in tone and blend are far easier and 'subtle' since I started to use the 0200, given me a much needed boost in confidence.

Also, it certainly helps to reduce the dreaded tipdry that bit more.

I would always recommend the use of transparent base when using any paint as it increases the the control you have over your saturation. It makes it a slower process but you have the chance of stopping before you go too dark for instance. I am glad that you have found this out and that its increased your confidence. Keep on AB'ing

Lee

Thanks Lee, just like many newbies, I am too impatient to see the end result and continually cannot resist going too dark, too early; but the transparent base is the key for me I feel.

I think the W500 was a flat out response to Trident paint hitting the US market.
It smells the same, performs the same for medium to large stuff, and sucks the the same for fine detail.
I was personally disappointed since I can always add window cleaner to my mix myself if I want and not have to pay $30 a liter for it.
The other thing that I don't like is that it makes a safe product unsafe so I have to wear a cartridge mask.
There has been some talk of having to let the mix sit for 20 min before using it. Hell, I can't do that! This is my recreation jam, not f%#kin work. If I can't just grab whatever color I like on a whim and go for it then, no.

PLEASE NOTE: I recognize that these are my experiences of said product and that others may enjoy it. If my comments seem like a rant, then that is probably an accurate assessment, and it comes with the pre-cursor of having thrown a bunch of money away on sample kits that didn't live up to shameless product descriptions - with thanks, Tee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Squishy, have you tried the Wicked Transparent Base (0200) mixed with the W500? If you have I would be interested to find out what you thought about it. I have just started a portrait and the subtle changes in tone and blend are far easier and 'subtle' since I started to use the 0200, given me a much needed boost in confidence.

Also, it certainly helps to reduce the dreaded tipdry that bit more.
Hey trem, to be honest I haven't played with the trans base at all, will have to give it a go sometime.

Back