Water based v solvent

Keifer smeaton

Double Actioner
hey everyone just have a question about using waterbased and solvents based paints. I would like to start some custom work on motorcycles, helmets, guitars etc. what is the reason you would use solvents As opposed to water based. Is it just preference or is it to do with durability? I only have Createx wicked and illustration at the moment, can these be used for automotive work or should I switch to solvent?..Thanks

Why does it seem all the newbies just want to ask questions and not make a proper introduction so we know more about them like how long have they been airbrushing , what equipment do they have .
To answer your question it is most use water base mainly due to over all cost , With Urethane you have to (or should have if you value you health ) a spray booth, Spray mask rated for the paint you're using and know the laws in you area for spraying urethane.
While with Wick you can get by with just a good dust mask mainly to keep over spray out of your lungs.
But when you clear coat them it will most likely be a urethane clear to hold up to the elements .
Now be a good lad and run along to the introduction section.
https://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/
76D29BE6-B2B6-417C-9257-D194AE83EB90.jpeg

Why does it seem all the newbies just want to ask questions and not make a proper introduction so we know more about them like how long have they been airbrushing , what equipment do they have .
To answer your question it is most use water base mainly due to over all cost , With Urethane you have to (or should have if you value you health ) a spray booth, Spray mask rated for the paint you're using and know the laws in you area for spraying urethane.
While with Wick you can get by with just a good dust mask mainly to keep over spray out of your lungs.
But when you clear coat them it will most likely be a urethane clear to hold up to the elements .
View attachment 60045
Thanks
View attachment 60045
thanks for the warm welcome Mr Micron appreciate it . I have been airbrushing for a few years on and off but have decided to fully commit to it. I have done a lot of pencil work but I rather airbrushing for wider range of applications. I’m currently using cheap equipment like and eBay compressor with no tank and a fengda dB airbrush for €20 it’s not the best but gets me by for the time being. So basically what you are saying is I can use either but it’s the urethane clear that will hold it all up ?

Depending on where you live it may actually be illegal to spray solvents unless you are in a commercial spray booth
And like mr.micron said, solvent/urethane is bad for your lungs - as well as anyone nearby / pets / wildlife and you should be using an appropriate respirator instead of a mask

Thanks

thanks for the warm welcome Mr Micron appreciate it . I have been airbrushing for a few years on and off but have decided to fully commit to it. I have done a lot of pencil work but I rather airbrushing for wider range of applications. I’m currently using cheap equipment like and eBay compressor with no tank and a fengda dB airbrush for €20 it’s not the best but gets me by for the time being. So basically what you are saying is I can use either but it’s the urethane clear that will hold it all up ?
Most of my clearing I farm out to a local body shop mainly due to it is. cheaper then building a booth. I do have a small item booth for motorcycle tins ans such but the bigger stuff goes to him.

Mr M and Jackie have got you covered on the main differences. A lot of the time it comes down to personal preference too. I have used both waterbased and Solvents and have found the Solvent to be much easier to get flowing nicely through the airbrush. They tend to cover with fewer passes too. Clean up is very simple as thinners or gun wash just melts the paint and carries it out the nozzle, so I have had far less issues with any small bits of dried paint in the nozzle. But everything they have said about the extra equipment needed is absolutely true. There is added expense and complexity there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggest difference for me, non existent tip dry w solvent and I can use prepsol without wiping off shading and details. Suppose i ought to get used to a good intercoat, just have a personal thing against building a lot of layers and i find myself avoiding intercoat un-necessarily.

Reasons I would choose solvents over water-based: Solvents spray better, lay down better, flash faster, cover faster and overall cuts down my time on any individual job.

Reasons I switched to water-based: As others have mentioned above, the stuff is pretty toxic.

It's only a matter of time before government regulations phase out solvent-based paint completely. You might as well learn the water-based systems now. Water-based technology has come a long way in the last decade and continues to improve. Custom automotive work is what I do and I've been doing it for more than a decade now using water-based paint. It's a little bit slower, but the end result is the same comparitavely.

Back