What airbrush setup should I get? (specific goals mentioned)

You really probably wont need the lube, the iwata blue stuff has no business being anywhere near an airbrush (Sorry Iwata, its rubbish) I haven't tried the clear one, or read any real reviews on it. If your brush is properly maintained you shouldn't need it. a tube of Chapstick will suffice for 90% of your needs

The spray out pot and filters you can get the identical unit for half the price... I know because I've both genuine and generic and you'd be pushed to pick the difference with the last version when they didn't have Iwata embossed on the jar, V1 were just a frosted glass jar with a brand name sticker on it lol
View attachment 59674

Frisket is very personal and if you want to practise then the self adhesive book covering or I believe those in the US have access to "press and seal"
which I have heard many people successfully use this.
View attachment 59673

Coast airbrush,
brush, hose and compressor and 300ft of 6" wide masking tape.
View attachment 59672

As for the ETAC paint, it will depend on what surface you plan on using to decide if you should go Private Stock or EFX. I use the EFX and only need to use water to clean my brush afterwards.

@basepaint and @Ronald art both use ETAC exclusively so they would be the advise I would listen to.

Hopefully this has helped some :)
Second this statement LOL. You really won’t need the lube. Although it seems like a good idea, Iwata airbrushes don’t need lubricant to function properly. If it feels like you need to lube something, it means something needs cleaning. I have the Sparmax clean out pot, which is very similar to the Iwata, but about half the price. Everything else looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really probably wont need the lube, the iwata blue stuff has no business being anywhere near an airbrush (Sorry Iwata, its rubbish) I haven't tried the clear one, or read any real reviews on it. If your brush is properly maintained you shouldn't need it. a tube of Chapstick will suffice for 90% of your needs

The spray out pot and filters you can get the identical unit for half the price... I know because I've both genuine and generic and you'd be pushed to pick the difference with the last version when they didn't have Iwata embossed on the jar, V1 were just a frosted glass jar with a brand name sticker on it lol
View attachment 59674

Frisket is very personal and if you want to practise then the self adhesive book covering or I believe those in the US have access to "press and seal"
View attachment 59673

Coast airbrush,
View attachment 59672

As for the ETAC paint, it will depend on what surface you plan on using to decide if you should go Private Stock or EFX. I use the EFX and only need to use water to clean my brush afterwards.

@basepaint and @Ronald art both use ETAC exclusively so they would be the advise I would listen to.

Definitely helps a lot!
I'll defintiely get the cheaper chemical pot. I'm still in that, "well Iwata makes good airburshes, therefore all their products must be good!" mentality.
I'll also try that Glad Press and Seal. If it doesn't work then at least I didn't drop a lot of money on it.

As for paint surface, seeing as I will be using airbrush, acrylic and watercolor, I was thinking illustration boards or hot press watercolor paper taped down on a wooden board. I don't know how thick paper has to be for the airbrush paint to not bleed or warp the paper. I'm not really sure what the difference between private stock and EFX is...

Definitely helps a lot!
I'll defintiely get the cheaper chemical pot. I'm still in that, "well Iwata makes good airburshes, therefore all their products must be good!" mentality.
I'll also try that Glad Press and Seal. If it doesn't work then at least I didn't drop a lot of money on it.

As for paint surface, seeing as I will be using airbrush, acrylic and watercolor, I was thinking illustration boards or hot press watercolor paper taped down on a wooden board. I don't know how thick paper has to be for the airbrush paint to not bleed or warp the paper. I'm not really sure what the difference between private stock and EFX is...
I hear you, I like anything with Iwata written on it as I’m a fanboy lol, but sometimes you are paying a premium for the name alone. In terms of surface, really anything is fine to get started. Lots of folks will print out a work sheet, put it in a picture frame and paint on the glass. You can then scrape or wipe it clean and reuse it. In the US poster board is a cheap practice surface that gets used a lot too.

View attachment 59674
I see you don't use bottom feed much :D

There is a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, like huge Dragon cake difference lol

WP_20190703_002.jpg WP_20190703_001.jpg

That moment, when you all giggly waiting for Jackie's turn lol

On a serious note, Had issues when my side feed was connected to a hose. And whenever I wonted to put it in to holder I needed to turn the cup, so paint wouldn't spill out.

So I had enough of that and I took that piece which you get with airbrush regulator and I elevate that piece so I don't need to turn that cup any more. The second one I used just like regular airbrush holder.

I didn't like if my airbrushes are close to the end of the work bench. I still remember how @Dimitris dropped his micron and I am very scared not to do the same with my airbrush. So I tried to fix things with what I have at home. I took the ones you get with regulator.

WP_20190703_005.jpg WP_20190703_006.jpg WP_20190703_007.jpg WP_20190703_003.jpg WP_20190703_004.jpg

On a serious note, Had issues when my side feed was connected to a hose. And whenever I wonted to put it in to holder I needed to turn the cup, so paint wouldn't spill out.

So I had enough of that and I took that piece which you get with airbrush regulator and I elevate that piece so I don't need to turn that cup any more. The second one I used just like regular airbrush holder.

I didn't like if my airbrushes are close to the end of the work bench. I still remember how @Dimitris dropped his micron and I am very scared not to do the same with my airbrush. So I tried to fix things with what I have at home. I took the ones you get with regulator.

View attachment 59680 View attachment 59681 View attachment 59682 View attachment 59684 View attachment 59683
Is that a Gargoyle painting I see in the background? (Sneaky).

Yep :p
I try to paint it from time to time, I kinda started bicycling LOT so I didn't go all bananas on gargoyle :p But I do paint it from time to time. I posted somewhere my progress though. This was the last update I made to forum, but I am further with gargoyle though :D
https://www.airbrushforum.org/threa...thing-up-pffffffffffffffff.21954/#post-343961
For some reason I seem to miss a lot of threads that get posted, and didn’t see this. For what it’s worth Buddy, I think you’ve got a really cool looking texture on that piece. But I’m also glad your having fun with the bike!

For some reason I seem to miss a lot of threads that get posted, and didn’t see this. For what it’s worth Buddy, I think you’ve got a really cool looking texture on that piece. But I’m also glad your having fun with the bike!

I am home now, cause rain caught me :D

I do enjoy my bike, I needed some adventure in my life. I hope I will not catch a tree on a way lol

View attachment 59674

View attachment 59673

Coast airbrush,
View attachment 59672

I don't use much etac any more mostly golden high flow now

UPDATE!
First off thanks to everyone for the replies! Everyone has been incredibly helpful with tips and making me feel more comfortable with this new medium.

I have the airbrush supplies! Iwata HP CS, Power Jet Pro compressor, threaded hose and E'tac PS paints. Yes I bought all of PS series paints. Art is my hobby so that's where I spend my extra money.

I'm excited but haven't used it yet. I'm a bit nervous as it's a new realm of art and new very expensive equipment. I've learned how to disassemble the airbrush, very easy. I've been reading the compressor and airbrush manuals over and over and more or less understand the how they work. I've been watching cleaning videos and have a routine planned out so I don't ruin the equipment or stumble during a session.

One final concern I have is paint thinning. I read that E'tac is good to use right out of the bottle but you still might need to thin it. I've read that you can use water mixed with alchohol but I'm not entirely sure if I should do that or get a bottle of acrylic thinner. On USAirbrush where I bought the paints, there is a section for chemicals to add tot the paints but I really don't understand what they despite the product description. Don't know if it even has to be the same brand. I'd really like start practicing but I want to make sure everything is addressed so I'm not stopping midway through a session and come to find out I forgot to buy something.

yyuuy.JPG

Attachments

• yyuuy.JPG
    yyuuy.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 5
Looks like my art space lol...Glad to see I'm not the only one "creative" with the surroundings..
I cleaned up my area Thursday. Today I'm like dang what happened, I just cleaned and organized all this crap!

Back