What is Docking a needle to size ?

Spritz

Triple Actioner
Hello all,

I have been looking at Iwata airbrushes, and noticed that the higher priced ones have a note for needle - nozzle size conversion options. It goes something like this "If converting on your own, the needle must be docked to size". If anyone knows what this means, I would love to hear it explained in detail, read a detailed write-up on it, or better yet, if someone knows where there is a good detailed video on how to do it, I'd love to see it.

Thank you in advance , for any help with this question.

Mike

While I can't say for certain, I expect it refers to the whole needle/nozzle/aircap combination. If you change the needle you need to change the nozzle and the aircap to match.

As above! I personally think it’s a bad idea to change needle sizes, everything gets confusing and you end up wondering what size needle and nozzle you have! Speaking from experience .!!!

Thanks for the reply Mark,
Oh I know you need to change the set so to speak ,with like sized / matching parts.

But that word docked and the way they use it, almost seems like it refers to lapping the parts to match them perfectly, or some similar process to custom fit the needle. With their, for a lack of better phrases " high standards and performance" you would think they have some special process to match the needle to nozzle , that makes it spray so well, not just a simple parts swap out. They do claim the airbrushes are hand assembled and each is tuned by airbrush professionals. That's why I was figuring the Docked needle was a special matching process. If it is, I want to know how to do it and do it correctly. If it works for Iwata, maybe it can help a different brand AB... know what I mean ? Maybe it is as simple as you say, but if it was, why not just say " Needs to be replaced as a set " ? Anyone purchasing a couple hundred dollar or higher airbrush would know what "a set" is. But the phrase "The Needle Must be Docked to Size" just seems to mysterious to be that simple...OR maybe my brain is fried being awake this late hour...:tired:

I think I'll make me a new rule. Never read specs or purchase anything when I'm up past my bed time. Kinda like never go food shopping when your hungry, you always buy too much and most of it not on your list to get. :eek:ops:

I must be tired, even I can now see I've been babbling through this whole reply..... I'm going to bed before I really start sounding weird.

Mike

Other than crazy different sizes you would never know what part you have! My .18 needle fits fine into the .23 etc
I here the word docking and think of some nasty jokes

"docking" is used to refer to the cutting of the back of the needle to fit the application. Some bushes do not offer a through path clear out the back of the handle for the needle, and some needles will actually hit the back of the handle as they are installed onto the brush.

An example would be that you can use a V2 Micron needle ina V1 brush, but you can not use the longer V1 needle in a V2 Micron without docking the needle to length. The V1 Micron has a though hole all the way through the handle and needle stop, while the V2 Micron does not. If you try to install a V2 handle over a V1 needle without "Docking" you will drive the needle right through the nozzle.

I’ve beat myself up not knowing what size needle I have in my spares box.....
In the V2 Iwata's, it seems to me the taper is the same between .18 and .23 (same needle). Not so in the V1. You can mark your needles with a small file, dremel, anything that will abrade the metal. Put a single mark on the back for .18, 2 for .23, 3 for .3, etc... or, I wrap tape around mine and leave a small flag sticking off the back of the needle, and write what it came from.

Last edited:
In the V2 Iwata's, it seems to me the taper is the same between .18 and .23 (same needle). Not so in the V1. You can mark your needles with a small file, dremel, anything that will abrade the metal. Put a single mark on the back for .18, 2 for .23, 3 for .3, etc... of I wrap tape around mine and leave like a small flag sticking off the back of the needle, and write what it came from.
You Sir, are a genius

I had to cut a needle so it would fit, brought an infinity needle to use on one of my super 63's and it was too long so after cutting it to the same size as the 63's needle it fitted great and worked well until I got some genuine DeVilbiss ones.

Lee

"docking" is used to refer to the cutting of the back of the needle to fit the application. Some bushes do not offer a through path clear out the back of the handle for the needle, and some needles will actually hit the back of the handle as they are installed onto the brush.

An example would be that you can use a V2 Micron needle ina V1 brush, but you can not use the longer V1 needle in a V2 Micron without docking the needle to length. The V1 Micron has a though hole all the way through the handle and needle stop, while the V2 Micron does not. If you try to install a V2 handle over a V1 needle without "Docking" you will drive the needle right through the nozzle.

Thank you DaveG, I would have ever guessed that's what it was. This mystery is now solved for me.

The needle taper is also something I did not know, so I'm learning about things I didn't even have time to question yet... talk about getting schooled in a hurry... Thanks again Dave... you da bomb.

Back