What Is The Best Way To Print Large Reference On Multiple Pages?

Darren

Needle-chuck Ninja
Can anyone tell me the best way to print a large reference on multiple A4 pages to fit a specific output size?

I have used "rasterbator" before and it works well but you cannot specify an output size so it takes ages of guess work to get somewhere close, I do have photoshop but do not know the easiest and quickest way to do it with that software.

Any help would be appreciated.

I can tell you how i do it - working with Photoshop. There are two ways that keep it very simple. I always make my art the size I need as a final project on photoshop. If I want t 20"X30", I make my computer file 20X30. I may not save it this size, but for output, I make it the size of my final.

Option 1 is to use the rectangular selection tool, and draw a marque a little smaller than the size of the output paper. If you can print A4, draw a box that is maybe 1/2" smaller on each side then the A4. Move the marque to the upper left hand corner of the art, and then select print. There is an option to print selected area only - choose that option. Print. Move the marque to the left, leaving a little overlap with the area you printed first, and select print again. Make sure the print selected area option is still checked, and print. Keep moving the marque until you have covered the entire piece of work.

The other way is to make the artwork the size you want. Use the marque to draw a box a little smaller than your A4. Select copy, and then paste to a new window. Move the marque and copy the next section, and then open another window, and paste. Continue making new windows until you have copied pieces for the entire image.... print each piece at 100%, then assemble the prints.

I can tell you how i do it - working with Photoshop. There are two ways that keep it very simple. I always make my art the size I need as a final project on photoshop. If I want t 20"X30", I make my computer file 20X30. I may not save it this size, but for output, I make it the size of my final.

Option 1 is to use the rectangular selection tool, and draw a marque a little smaller than the size of the output paper. If you can print A4, draw a box that is maybe 1/2" smaller on each side then the A4. Move the marque to the upper left hand corner of the art, and then select print. There is an option to print selected area only - choose that option. Print. Move the marque to the left, leaving a little overlap with the area you printed first, and select print again. Make sure the print selected area option is still checked, and print. Keep moving the marque until you have covered the entire piece of work.

The other way is to make the artwork the size you want. Use the marque to draw a box a little smaller than your A4. Select copy, and then paste to a new window. Move the marque and copy the next section, and then open another window, and paste. Continue making new windows until you have copied pieces for the entire image.... print each piece at 100%, then assemble the prints.
Thanks for the info, I didn’t realise there was an option to print selected area, that sounds like the ideal way, I will give that a go.

Im not sure if its an option on all software but there is often ‘banner’ as a layout option. Just select the size you want it to end up, It will automatically give a small overlap on each page when you print.

All of my paintings are in A0 format (around 85 x 120 cm).

If you’re working close to a substrate this size, it is difficult to get the proportions and division of the painting right.

What I do is to sketch the picture first and then scan it, and then print it out like this: I open the picture in Microsoft Paint. In “Page Setup”, I use the following settings (Fit to 4 x 4). This will divide the picture into 16 A4 pages. For smaller formats, you could choose 2 x 2 that will result in 4 A4 pages.

1.png
All I need to do is to cut off the margins (my printer cannot print with zero margins) first and put the things together on the substrate.

Last edited:
All of my paintings are in A0 format (around 85 x 120 cm).

If you’re working close to a substrate this size, it is difficult to get the proportions and division of the painting right.

What I do is to sketch the picture first and then scan it, and then print it out like this: I open the picture in Microsoft Paint. In “Page Setup”, I use the following settings (Fit to 4 x 4). This will divide the picture into 16 A4 pages. For smaller formats, you could choose 2 x 2 that will result in 4 A4 pages.

View attachment 62705
All I need to do is to cut off the margins (my printer cannot print with zero margins) first and put the things together on the substrate.
Thanks for the info, I am using a Mac so not sure if I can do the same as I obviously don’t have Microsoft Paint.

Not so related to this topic, but still use full info. You can install win on your mac

With Boot Camp, you can install Microsoft Windows 10 on your Mac, then switch between macOS and Windows when restarting your Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

So basically you are not limited to just mac os if you have windows laying somewhere around.

I have used that a few years back and it was the best but unfortunately the developer has not updated the software in so long I am unable to install it on my Mac as it is incompatible.
I know... I've used Microsoft now for so long (in the office) so i forget to be ashamed of not using a Mac :)

Back