What would you do.. Airbrushes and Ebay

Leakyvalve

Mac-Valve Maestro!
I have got and get most of my airbrushes from Ebay. And as anyone who does this knows, people seem to be full of crap when they are describing what they are selling.
Sometimes I can spot the problems. Others, like how clean they are, I just assume they filled it up with cement and let it sit for a couple years and I'm gonna have to clean it up.

So I'm curious what you guys would do in this situation. I picked up a "used couple of times" NEO N4500. I wanted to review one because they do have some attributes that make me think they are actually a diamond in the rough.
Anyways, it showed up and looked physically fine, No paint buildup, needle moved. While disassembling it I went to qtip swab the nozzle and I could feel it dragging. So I grabbed my Iwata magnifier and sure enough, it was damaged. I messaged the buyer nicely, explaining how everything was good, but the nozzle and asked if he might split the purchase price of a new one. It was a no go, he had no idea the nozzle was damaged. Uh huh. It sprays like crap dude.
My question would be, do you (1) say Ok and move on ,(2) Hammer him with a negative (3) Give him a neutral
Used does not mean un-usable. An airbrush with a damaged nozzle is like an engine with a broken crankshaft.

@DaveG I know you've bought ALOT of airbrushes from Ebay, what is your expectations from the seller and knowing what they are selling?
Nozzle damage.jpg

That is tough. I am pretty non confrontational, I would probably just not leave feedback, so option 1.

I get the feeling most of the airbrushes on ebay are sold by people who bought an airbrush, tried it once, got frustrated then let the airbrush sit for years and then decided to sell it. I usually expect a used airbrush to be very dirty and to likely have a bad tip and needle.

(2) Hammer him with a negative If there is an option to get money back I would also contact ebay support. I don't use e bay,so I don't have a clue for e bay, but if I have problem I ask nicely, and if he thinks I am an idiot I go full force until I get my money.

business is business and selling is a business.

I noticed that kinda behaviour fix issues with online buying very fast...

Last edited:
@DaveG I know you've bought ALOT of airbrushes from Ebay, what is your expectations from the seller and knowing what they are selling?
View attachment 56918

Yes, I have purchased quite a few from Ebay - First, I almost always assume that the sellar knows absolutely nothing about that airbrush, or any airbrush in general. I will occasionally ask for additional photo's if I am uncertain about what I am looking at when they post them on Ebay. And, here's the biggest one - I always assume that I will need to either repair the needle, or replace and repair needle and nozzle. So, I look at the cost of replacing the parts, and factor it into the asking price on Ebay, and estimate what would be the max I would pay to have that sample of brush. This means that I miss out on, or pass on far more brushes than I buy, because others will bid a price up higher than what I think the brush is worth, if I also need to add the cost of needle and nozzle on top of it. It can be hard to let them go when you are so close to making a purchase - but, I find I have less regret this way.

Truth be told, I have gotten many more that needed nothing but a good cleaning versus those that I had to replace parts on, so it has worked out pretty well for me. There are a few others I paid perhaps a little more for knowing they were probably not perfect, just to have them in my collection. Many of my Wold's fit that category, as parts are very hard to come by, but I have gotten a few by going after them this way, that are basically new/old stock.

You can try to message the sellar and ask them if they knew the brush was damaged, or inform them that it was. Most will have no idea what you are talking about, but some may be willing to offer a refund to cover the cost of replacement parts. If they stated ahead of time the brush was untested, you will most likely be out of luck - as they told you up front it was a crap shoot. I have only had to do this once with a brush that was obviously damaged in shipping, and the sellar did right by me, without much fuss.

I would try communicating with the sellar before deciding what kind of feedback to leave - look at some of their other feedback, and see how others have felt dealing with them. You can usually get a sense of how they have treated others - particularly if there is neutral or negative feedback. If it seems to be a pattern with them, and they are non-responsive to concerns you have about your purchase from them, then go ahead and leave feedback that is honest about your experience. Some negative feedback says much more about the buyer, than the sellar. I have found that most sellars I have dealt with have been pretty nice people, and I have dealt with many...

Last edited:
Ok, I re-read the original post again, after coffee - did the original add say it was tested, or untested? It matters. Ebay wants sellars to be honest - so if they claimed the brush was in good working condition, it should be. If they made no such claim, well... maybe you assumed... where you should have not. Did you ask questions BEFORE your purchase? It helps A LOT to do so, especially if the purchase turns out to be a bust later. Did the add state that the sellar does or does not accept returns? If it states up front that they do not accept returns, it amplifies your risk, and you should know that before spending money. Did you check their feedback BEFORE purchase? Their feedback history can help in determining who you want to deal with ahead of time.

I did not read the original add for this purchase - but there is a lot that can be included in them, that will determine your options after purchase. In a worst case, you may consider opening a dispute with Ebay. They do have a money back guarantee. Your issues will be with the wording of the original add... If is seems that you are simply suffering from buyers remorse, you will most likely just be out of luck, and cash...

I consider the needle and nozzle wear items on an airbrush - they are usually the first part(s) to be damaged - so when buying used I always assume the worst for them - if you are not, then you are just asking for trouble later.

Last edited:
You have to assume the seller knows nothing about ABing. If it sprayed at all, then to him that probably means it worked fine. The fact that it is damaged and unable to perform to the expected level, is another ball game. The seller may not have the skills or knowledge to know the difference. Or they might have known very well. Without asking specific questions before buying it will be hard to prove. I think I would put this one down to experience, but next time ask how well it sprays and if needle or nozzle are OK. If it turns out they are damaged after the seller says they are OK, then you have evidence to back up any claims. Also look at the cost of possible spares, factor it in, then see if the brush is still worth it.

@DaveG
The NEO is a cheap airbrush to begin with and it's not about the money, it's more annoyance than anything. You know, you watch the tracking, get excited when it arrives, and then the big let down.

If this was a Micron I paid $400 for, I would be way more hot under the collar and definitely done some questioning.

I've sold quite a few airbrushes on Ebay. Every one of them I sold as if I was selling it to me. No paint residue, polished needles, lubed...perfect working order. If I didn't like the airbrush, I said that, too.

I'll probably leave a neutral. Let others know it's a crapshoot.

Did you pay with paypal? If you did then you have options.
Did the description say it was in good working condition? Its obviously not but if they said that you have a valid issue.

I would contact them again and give them another chance.

If you paid with paypal they could gift you some of your purchase price back (half the cost of a nozzle) Depends how much you paid for it though.
If they totally refuse you can tell them you are contacting paypal, this may work..
If they still refuse, contact paypal and tell them the problem, they usually get it sorted pretty quick.

You wont be any worse off which ever you choose. Factor in the main spares for the next one.

eg: (I brought a brand new heater for screen printing, £150 it blew up after 20 mins and didnt reach temp before it blew, after several emails back and forth asking for a replacement and they refusing I contacted paypal and i got a full refund and kept the heater. Managed to fix it cheaper than a repair man.)

Lee

When I've brought DeVilbiss super 63's in the past from eBay I always assume I will have to replace a nozzle at least and if that means its going to cost more than I want to pay then I don't bother bidding on it.

Lee

Did you pay with paypal? If you did then you have options.
Did the description say it was in good working condition? Its obviously not but if they said that you have a valid issue.

I would contact them again and give them another chance.

If you paid with paypal they could gift you some of your purchase price back (half the cost of a nozzle) Depends how much you paid for it though.
If they totally refuse you can tell them you are contacting paypal, this may work..
If they still refuse, contact paypal and tell them the problem, they usually get it sorted pretty quick.

You wont be any worse off which ever you choose. Factor in the main spares for the next one.

eg: (I brought a brand new heater for screen printing, £150 it blew up after 20 mins and didnt reach temp before it blew, after several emails back and forth asking for a replacement and they refusing I contacted paypal and i got a full refund and kept the heater. Managed to fix it cheaper than a repair man.)

Lee
I also have good experience with paypal. As soon one company tried to screw me, solving issue with paypal was easy.

As above, i'd factor in the potential for replacing needle/nozzle for any 2nd hand purchase.

gonna add here, that even though Ebay uses Paypal to transfer funds, they do not take kindly to someone sidestepping Ebay's policies and practices. If you cut Ebay out, and just go through Paypal for remedy, it is possible you could loose your right to purchase through Ebay in the future. So, if I was going for a cash remedy, I would do it through a dispute on Ebay, then go to Paypal directly if I was not successful there.

gonna add here, that even though Ebay uses Paypal to transfer funds, they do not take kindly to someone sidestepping Ebay's policies and practices. If you cut Ebay out, and just go through Paypal for remedy, it is possible you could loose your right to purchase through Ebay in the future. So, if I was going for a cash remedy, I would do it through a dispute on Ebay, then go to Paypal directly if I was not successful there.
You will always be successful as the buyer making a dispute w eBay.
IME they honestly don't even bother to look at what the issue is.
Regardless of a seller's return policy or stated condition or any other factor eBay pretty much enforces an all returns must be accepted policy when it comes down to it.

I sold a motorcycle engine a few years ago I knew to be running.

I listed only as a rebuildable core that turned over freely since other parts of the bike were gone that would allow me to bench run it again for a buyer.

The buyer snapped a few bolts off and then drilled into the cylinder head several times in poor attempts to remove the bolts.

I was still forced to issue a refund so long as the buyer returned the motor.

Their intantaneous response without ever reading anything when there is a dispute raised is to simply demand the seller issue a full refund as soon as they receive the returned item.

Does not matter if the buyer smashed it to bits with a hammer.

Once the seller receives the item back eBay will then credit them the price if they file a police report about the damage.

However, id tend to be like everyone else and just assume the seller has no idea....unless they go out of their way to say and show it's excellent.

Used only a couple times ...almost new does not mean squat with an item that could be damaged by ignorance or just not caring without ever even being used at all.

For myself I'd echo what was said about it swinging on the language used in the description. If it said "as-is", "untested", etc. I'd assume any repair/refurbishing costs are my responsibility up front. If it says "good condition", "ready to use" or other such, then that'd be false advertising, and problems would be the seller's responsibility.

HOWEVER, one area where I differ from what others have said is that IMO the seller is always responsible for their description. If they don't know enough about airbrushing to tell if an airbrush is damaged, then they shouldn't be making definite assertions. If they choose to say it's in great working condition when it isn't, that's always on them. Either they knowingly overstepped their knowledge, or they were Dunning-Kruger about how much they understood, or they knowingly lied. In all cases the bottom line is they are responsible for the claims they choose to make. They could've chosen to say "as is" or "may require some work" or "untested" or any number of conservatively honest things, and instead they chose to overextend themselves. That was always their choice, and their responsibility.

That said: be nice when you first contact the seller. Make it easy for them to graciously admit it if it was an honest mistake on their part. If they refuse to rise to the occasion, don't bother fighting with them personally over it, just skip straight to contacting Ebay. Do not allow their responsibility to become your stress.

I only buy on sites like Ebay if I can pick up the item in person and see /test it before I hand over any cash

Here was our message exchange.

Hey thanks for the quick shipment. I do have a bit of a problem. I am a bit of an airbrush nerd and was buying this to do a review since there was so much contradictory information out there.
I always clean and inspect a used brush. Everything seemed good till I looked at the nozzle. It has damage, photo provided. Now I'm not assuming you knew about it. Airbrush probably wasn't performing well and maybe you upgraded.
I'm hoping we can at least split the cost of a new nozzle since the rest of the brush is in great shape including the needle. A nozzle is ~$12. Let me know if that seems fair or not?
Thank you,
Leakyvalve

I really don’t know what to tell you. I sold the item ‘as is’, used. I did not know of any damage and I sold it in good faith.

Description from ad: Iwata Neo N-4500 airbrush used just a few times.

Ebay has a specific definition of USED. It has to function. Anyways, I'll probably leave a Neutral when I feel like it.

Hey thanks for the quick shipment. I do have a bit of a problem. I am a bit of an airbrush nerd and was buying this to do a review since there was so much contradictory information out there.
I always clean and inspect a used brush. Everything seemed good till I looked at the nozzle. It has damage, photo provided. Now I'm not assuming you knew about it. Airbrush probably wasn't performing well and maybe you upgraded.
I'm hoping we can at least split the cost of a new nozzle since the rest of the brush is in great shape including the needle. A nozzle is ~$12. Let me know if that seems fair or not?
Thank you,
Leakyvalve

I really don’t know what to tell you. I sold the item ‘as is’, used. I did not know of any damage and I sold it in good faith.

Ebay has a specific definition of USED. It has to function. Anyways, I'll probably leave a Neutral when I feel like it.
I wouldn't worry about for 12 bucks. I would eat that cost. But if I would suspect seller thinks I am an idiot it would make me ''mad'' and I could not help my self to show him otherwise lol

Just cause of principle, nothing more,nothing less.

Thank you,
Leakyvalve

Used just a few times , as we know doesn't translate to good, great , or perfect condition.
Just means used a only a few times. lol

In this case I think you made the the assumption they wanted you to make.

Was it even new when they got it?

Just playing devil's advocate here.

There's A LOT of people I wouldn't buy an airbrush from even if it were " used only one time"

Back