What would you do.. Airbrushes and Ebay

Used just a few times , as we know doesn't translate to good, great , or perfect condition.
Just means used a only a few times. lol

In this case I think you made the the assumption they wanted you to make.

Was it even new when they got it?

Just playing devil's advocate here.

There's A LOT of people I wouldn't buy an airbrush from even if it were " used only one time"

Ebay's went through ALOT of changes throughout the years, to get rid of the guys/gals that think it's a Yard sale ad, and can lie and weasel sell their junk as if it were new. They have categories for a reason. If you're not sure, then sell it as "for parts only". But "used" under Ebay rules, means it's supposed to work.

But that don't mean there aren't just as many scam buyers. Imagine a guy orders a Micron, changes the head unit to one from a Master, and sends it back saying he changed his mind, or it don't work. Imagine how long it would take for that to ever be discovered. That crap can happen all over the place.

If I pushed the issue, I may actually get a full refund, but I don't care at this point. Nozzle and needle are already on their way... slowly.

Ebay's went through ALOT of changes throughout the years, to get rid of the guys/gals that think it's a Yard sale ad, and can lie and weasel sell their junk as if it were new. They have categories for a reason. If you're not sure, then sell it as "for parts only". But "used" under Ebay rules, means it's supposed to work.

But that don't mean there aren't just as many scam buyers. Imagine a guy orders a Micron, changes the head unit to one from a Master, and sends it back saying he changed his mind, or it don't work. Imagine how long it would take for that to ever be discovered. That crap can happen all over the place.

If I pushed the issue, I may actually get a full refund, but I don't care at this point. Nozzle and needle are already on their way... slowly.
any tips for the ones looking to buy on ebay?

Any issue automatically favors the buyer.

Just have to file a dispute. Then they'll have you send it back and you'll get a full refund.

Just have to be prepared to lose the return shipping money on anything you buy.

Any issue automatically favors the buyer.

Just have to file a dispute. Then they'll have you send it back and you'll get a full refund.

Just have to be prepared to lose the return shipping money on anything you buy.

I'm forced to offer return shipping in order to be part of their rated seller program.

There's a lot of reasons hardly any individuals selling anything there anymore.

You used to have to use a filter to find anything new.
Now you need a filter to find anything used.

The whole reason you can get killer deals at all is because of the buyer beware factor.
It's kind of the whole spirit of auctions.
No matter where the auction is.

Now they're forcing every seller to be Walmart and what's available at what price on eBay generally reflects that.

Warranty's and return policies are what drives retail pricing.
If i want a guarantee, ill pay retail.

Obviously, blatently mis representing is different.
If they said it was new in the box or showed nozzle pics that weren't that nozzle or a spray test that wouldn't be possible w that damage or even said it was in perfect condition then I'd feel different.

Last edited:
Just bring it to to attention of the seller. If you did not know it was busted he might give you a partial refund.
I've been lucky with 3 Eclipses I got off Ebay. All around $70 with shipping and they all work perfectly. Some dried paint in them but after a good clean they were perfect.

I have got and get most of my airbrushes from Ebay. And as anyone who does this knows, people seem to be full of crap when they are describing what they are selling.
Sometimes I can spot the problems. Others, like how clean they are, I just assume they filled it up with cement and let it sit for a couple years and I'm gonna have to clean it up.

So I'm curious what you guys would do in this situation. I picked up a "used couple of times" NEO N4500. I wanted to review one because they do have some attributes that make me think they are actually a diamond in the rough.
Anyways, it showed up and looked physically fine, No paint buildup, needle moved. While disassembling it I went to qtip swab the nozzle and I could feel it dragging. So I grabbed my Iwata magnifier and sure enough, it was damaged. I messaged the buyer nicely, explaining how everything was good, but the nozzle and asked if he might split the purchase price of a new one. It was a no go, he had no idea the nozzle was damaged. Uh huh. It sprays like crap dude.
My question would be, do you (1) say Ok and move on ,(2) Hammer him with a negative (3) Give him a neutral
Used does not mean un-usable. An airbrush with a damaged nozzle is like an engine with a broken crankshaft.

@DaveG I know you've bought ALOT of airbrushes from Ebay, what is your expectations from the seller and knowing what they are selling?
View attachment 56918
I only buy new unless it is meant to be collectable. With a collectable it will not be something that is no longer in production, and likely have no parts readily available. I have an auction closing in a couple hours, and may be buying a paper weight for all I know.

Back