Which airbrush do you use?

Which Airbrush Do You Use?

• Total voters
How do you find using it??? I was looking at one of these airbrushes as a possible next one.

you do realise that @Cordyk wrote that 4 years ago lol !! he's probably already killed it and bought another one since then.

on the plus side, everyone who owns one proudly holds them high as a great all round work horse that just keeps going and going and going

you do realise that @Cordyk wrote that 4 years ago lol !! he's probably already killed it and bought another one since then.

on the plus side, everyone who owns one proudly holds them high as a great all round work horse that just keeps going and going and going
That's pretty funny. I didn't even notice that.

That's ok, its nice to bring these types of threads back to life, we've had a lot of newbies lately (including you) who would benefit from this info.

There may be a little confusion re the models. and some models from 2012 may no longer be available

as per the Chicago airbrush site.....
Eclipse HP-C, is the go to work horse that everyone seems to love
HP-C plus is one of the high performance range - I have HP-Bplus which gives me headaches to the point I wouldn't recommend them to newbies.

I use anHarder Stienbeck infinity, an Iwata Hp-Ch, sotar and a Paache vl

That's ok, its nice to bring these types of threads back to life, we've had a lot of newbies lately (including you) who would benefit from this info.

There may be a little confusion re the models. and some models from 2012 may no longer be available

as per the Chicago airbrush site.....
Eclipse HP-C, is the go to work horse that everyone seems to love
HP-C plus is one of the high performance range - I have HP-Bplus which gives me headaches to the point I wouldn't recommend them to newbies.
Absolutely. There is so many airbrushes on the market and from face value, look very very similar. From a newbie point of view, I think the knowledge about airbrushes from the experienced people that have been using them for years and had several different types over the years, to me is just as important as the technique behind airbrushing. You can have all the technique you want but if your equipment is rubbish then your airbrushing won't be as good as it could be and vise versa. You can have the best equipment but if you don't have the right technique, then you're not getting anywhere.

you're right, there are some guys that do amazingly detailed work with the HP-C+ and then at the other end, someone with a micron couldn't paint the side of a barn (that would be me at this point)
but if you have a 'rubbish knock off brush' then you cant expect miracles.
Once you get the your muscle memory sorted out, there is then paint choice, all the theory of colour matching, grey scale, creating textures. The equipment is only part of the story

...I have HP-Bplus which gives me headaches to the point I wouldn't recommend them to newbies.

I would not recommend any of the screw in nozzle models to anybody. That is the Neo, Revolution, HP or High-line. They are a pain to clean and they will snap off the nozzle.

I seriously have no issue with the nozzle size/type for cleaning or being fragile. I just can't get the thing to flow consistently without clogging or blocking, yet I have no trouble with the CM-B !?

I seriously have no issue with the nozzle size/type for cleaning or being fragile. I just can't get the thing to flow consistently without clogging or blocking, yet I have no trouble with the CM-B !?

I assume you is referring to your HP-BH nozzle giving you grief, as you know I has the same brush, I also had the same problem, the nozzle comes as standard with no seal, because of this sits really far back in a head compared to other brushes, I applied the tiniest slither of ptfe plumbers tape to create a small seal and since then it works just as good as me micron, in fact I live working with it, the only problem I actually do have is my trigger is too short and hard to control because I swapped the trigger round with me micron, the HP-BH trigger is actually taller than the microns trigger but otherwise fits exactly the same, I need to buy a new trigger for HP so I can leave the other in me micron;)

Now you've said that I do remember you suggesting it before - I'll see what happens on the weekend

My main workhorse is the Iwata HP-C+ and I have one coming the HP-CH.
You like using the HP-C plus??? Really considering this brush. How does it go with the finer detail stuff??? Any information would be a huge help for me.

You like using the HP-C plus??? Really considering this brush. How does it go with the finer detail stuff??? Any information would be a huge help for me.

Yeah I do like it very much. Actually it's my first 'real airbrush' if i may say it.;) I started with cheap china airbrushes and move up to Iwata. Honestly I haven't tried it for detailed stuff? (am still a beginner..lol) but it does really and exceptionally well with what I am doing right now. I'm planning to have detailed works someday that's why I have one coming over these few days.:) hth

Yeah I do like it very much. Actually it's my first 'real airbrush' if i may say it.;) I started with cheap china airbrushes and move up to Iwata. Honestly I haven't tried it for detailed stuff? (am still a beginner..lol) but it does really and exceptionally well with what I am doing right now. I'm planning to have detailed works someday that's why I have one coming over these few days.:) hth
YEah thanks. I'm in the same boat you were. I'm just starting out and currently using a cheap Chinese airbrush but it's just not giving me fine detail stuff and having a few problems with it. Looking at getting a 'real airbrush' so I can move forward with my airbrushing and dial in some skills peoperly.

YEah thanks. I'm in the same boat you were. I'm just starting out and currently using a cheap Chinese airbrush but it's just not giving me fine detail stuff and having a few problems with it. Looking at getting a 'real airbrush' so I can move forward with my airbrushing and dial in some skills peoperly.

If your having issues with your cheapy, first give it a real good clean, then thin your paint until it's almost entirely water/reducer and just work with lower pressure and more layers to get to the opacity that require, this should be a quick fix to keep you practicing until your new brush arrives;) I used cheapies for over a year with bearable success, whilst I would definitely not recommended them ever, they can be made to work in an emergency, mine always worked better with serious over thinning.

I haven't used this model but it is very similar to the HP-CS, which I prefer as it has a .35 nozzle so a little more versatility, and the self centering nozzle, which really is much easier to work with and no risk of snapping threads of in your brush etc. The Hp-c plus does have the option of swapping out to a .2 nozzle I believe which would then make it an out and out detail brush. Apart from that the two brushes seem pretty much the same and I love my hp-cs.

I Also have a micron cm-c .23 and it is the best, I'm not sure putting the detail nozzle in the hp-c plus would compare for quality and performance, (I am happy to stand corrected by anyone who has one) but that alongside my hp-cs covers me for painting anything, pretty much any size. However having the dual option in the hp-c plus would be way cheaper, and I reckon still a great option.

personally I wouldn't pay the extra for an onboard mac valve, I bought an external quick connect one, so now ALL my brushes benefit without extra $$

your opinion bud and i respect that.. anywho, i had a bad experience with quick-release coupler w/ valve ? i ordered one and it was leaking:sus:, they send me another one and it's still leaking:mad:... so i just requested for a plain quick-release...:ninja: so that's why I had the CH..;)

Back