Which Airbrush

Ttxela

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Ok, I'm starting to get more serious about this whole business.

My 16 quid ebay airbrush is, I suspect, not going to cut it much longer. Every little problem I have I'm starting to view it suspiciously and wonder if the issue is me or the cheap brush. Also it's looking terrible as a fair proportion of the chrome plate has come off and spilt paint has stuck pretty firmly to the exposed base metal.

I can't afford anything too pricey at the moment but reckon I could stand something around the 100 pound mark. I think I've narrowed it down to the Iwata Revolution or the Paasche Talon. The Revolution has the merit of being what I used when I did the beginners course at the Airbrush Academy, on the other hand the Talon has gold bits and a cool picture of an Eagle!

I think also the Talon has an unusual hose connection size although some I've seen look to come with a hose.

Anything else I should be considering? Any recommendations?

Cheers!

the Paasche airbrushes are not what they used to be some 20 or so years ago my recommendation would be the iwata as you have already used it before

I purchased and returned 4 Talons, before I kept the 5th, and I only kept it because I didn't feel I could keep sending them back. I purchased a set that came with three different sizes, and in each one at least one, if not more of the sizes did not work properly. The one I did keep, one of the sizes is unusable, as the nozzle mounts so far off center that I could use it to spray around corners. Even the included fan cap will spray off center enough that paint will build up on one of the "ears", and it will spit a blob every few seconds if I am not paying attention. It does look good, though...

My Talon works fine, but I don’t use it at all, it looks nice but I will use any other airbrush any day, it is to heavy, to big, to noise and to out of balance that I dont like using it, but it is awesome for primer and clear!![emoji2371]

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I have both the Iwata revolution and the Paasche talon , the talon gave a me a good 10 hours spray time before it started to act up and it turned out the nozzle was dead as in split nearly in 2 I didnt drop it I didnt abuse it all I did is what I always do while cleaning a airbrush : turning the needle and carefully pulling it back
I never bothered to buy a new nozzle for this airbrush and it is sitting on a shelf as a reminder never to buy one again no matter how good they look
I only use the revolution for large coverage or for paint that needs a 0.5 nozzle and this brush has seen some abuse over time but it is still going strong with the original nozzle and needle it came with

I have never tried a Revolution but I do have a Talon. It works well for me too. Once you understand them that is...lol.
It cost me about the same as what you want to spend...(Pounds/Canadian) What I liked was the 3 sizes. The only thing I didn't get, was a fan cap. I actually just bought one. The talon can be like a fire hose with the #3 set up. I am going to start doing my bases with it. I hope what @DaveG just said about them is not true for all of them...lol
I Have a Sotar for detail, the Talon as a detail and coverage brush, and also a Patriot 105 with the superfine conv. (which is the same as the #2 in the Talon)
I use the Talon almost every paint session...

I have read enough reports to figure the Talon can be hit or miss - I have seen some work done with them that is really nice. I'm not exactly new to airbrushing, so having to sort through 5 of them really turned me off to the brush. I figure if I can get a brush from the early 40's to work like new, a brand spanking new brush should be a breeze. I tried for a bit, and decided that the Talon is just not for me. There are better choices out there.

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Iwata-Eclipse.html

30 pounds more if you can squeze it. Eat bread and milk for the whole month. -.- I buy from aircraft and I love that store.

105 pounds straight from japan, shipping is free
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANEST-IWATA-MEDEA-Airbrush-HP-CS-Eclipse-0-3mm-1-3oz-10ml-HPCS/113218459043?epid=1565329445&hash=item1a5c5895a3&enc=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&checksum=11321845904313838d2d3eb0464599ecdf394fc1144b&frcectupt=true

Just an idea.

Edit: Jackie, I don't have a clue, why link is so long...

Just to confuse things further LOL.
https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Mr-Procon-Boy-WA-PS-274.html#SID=3195
I don’t have this brush, but have another from the same manufacturer. So far all of the feedback I’ve heard from all of their brushes is really good. And only £5 over the budget. The quality of the brush I have is excellent and in my opinion is on par with the Iwata brushes I also have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a gsi/Mr hobby/ procon boy. I'd go 270 or 289 over the 274

But @SiRoxx s link would be your supplier for any of those.

Anyway think revolution on steroids. As any of these will feel similar but are definitely a step up.

OK, well you chaps have thoroughly put me off the Talon - and it looked so pretty...:rolleyes:

I've just ordered the Iwata Eclipse CS, a bit over my self imposed budget but it does also look shiny :thumbsup:

Ordered in the end from Airbrush Academy, a bit more expensive than the ebay link but I know where Mick is if I have any problems :thumbsup:

OK, well you chaps have thoroughly put me off the Talon - and it looked so pretty...:rolleyes:

I've just ordered the Iwata Eclipse CS, a bit over my self imposed budget but it does also look shiny :thumbsup:

Ordered in the end from Airbrush Academy, a bit more expensive than the ebay link but I know where Mick is if I have any problems :thumbsup:
That’s a fine choice. The CS is a fantastic brush that will serve you well for years. Plus Mick is a decent bloke too LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back