For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Who's your Favourite

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by jord001, Mar 15, 2020.

1. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Good morning my Airbrush Family, I've been doing a bit of thinking lately (dangerous I know) but anyway i'll get back to whats on my mind while I remember..

SO who is, are your favourite airbrush artists or normal artists whatever their art discipline.. I have a few in my useless information filled crammed brain but would like to further my knowledge with the wonderful works that are created by great artists around the world.

I was also thinking, (twice in one day this is getting serious) If I brought some artwork, who would I like art from? What would I want?

So here's a few of mine in no particular order, there's not many at the moment but I'd like to know more.

Rod Fuchs

Steve Leahy

Mike Lavallee

Craig Fraser

Blake McCully (Cross Eyed Airbrushing)

GODMACHINE

HR Giger

Mike Learn

Salvador Dali
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    SiRoxx and doc1 like this.
  2. jord001

Sorry peeps Site decided that it wouldn't let me add the pics after it had uploaded them in the thread above so I've put them in this thread so you can see some examples. I'm currently looking at a Godmachine book off his site and Steve Leahey has some reasonably priced prints.. These are a few of my personal favourite / inspirational artists..

Rod Fuchs
    e6114df6bba32e244238ea20d0c1fcb7.jpg

Steve Leahy
    iE6_KHoI.jpeg

Mike Lavallee
    mike lavallee.jpg

Craig Fraser
    b58d434cf37f5172b77e6a7eb1e67d91.jpg

Blake McCully (Cross Eyed)
    1178.jpg

GODMACHINE
    KING+OF+THE+ROTTEN.jpg

HR Giger
    Rm-xzSgX1aKj62WiX-vxWg_1974.jpg

Mike Learn
    mike learn.jpg

Salvador Dali
    "The temptation of St Anthony"
    Site wouldn't let me add the Dali pic even though it only had 8 pics ... sorry

Not forgetting the Great artists just on this Forum who luckily we get to share great ORIGINAL art with via Paint Pal. I'd have some of your works too in a heartbeat.

Lee
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    SiRoxx and doc1 like this.
  3. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Staff Member Mod Very Likeable!

Nice idea Lee, it’s a tough one to answer too.
    I guess my favourites airbrush artists are Craig Fraser, Scott MacKay and Giger. I really like their styles in general, of course Craig and Scott do a lot of Automotive work that appeals to me and they’ve both done some awesome Giger inspired Biomech work, so it all ties in. Cory St Claire would also be on the list, I dig his hyper real style. Close to photo realism, but pushed. It’s tough to describe.
    I think as far as Scott and Craig are concerned I’m drawn to the amount of information they’ve both given away over the years as much as their work. Sure they have done a lot of paid classes and that’s great, but they also share a lot that has no cost attached too. So I admire their contribution to the community as much as the art they produce.
    I also like some Comic Book artists. Jim Lee, Alex Ross and Todd MacFarlane are up there with my favourites. Tim Sale drew (in my opinion) the greatest Batman Graphic novel “The Long Halloween”. The story is great, but the art is phenomenal!
    I know you’re familiar with the airbrush artists I’ve mentioned, but I’ll find some pictures of their stuff for other folks reading this thread.
    jord001 likes this.
  4. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Staff Member Admin

I like all of them for their styles as well as Lorenzo Sperlonga , Gerald Mendez, Corey Saint Clair, amd many more.
    To pick a favorite I really do not think I could say off Being early years where Boris, Frazetta, Rockwell , Picasso and Giger.
    I like certain things I see in all of there work and I pull from all of them while trying to make my own style.
    SiRoxx and jord001 like this.
  5. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

For an artist not from this forum my pick would be Gerald Mendez . Always great original pieces from him
  6. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

For me, Giger... he remains second to none.

Other painters (but not airbrushers, as far as I know that are important to me): Gottfried Helnwein, Juan Gimenez, Peter Elson, Wayne Barlowe, Jan Uldrych, Chris Foss, James Gurney, Roger Dean, Drew Struzan, Frank Franzetta, Enki Bilal ... and so many more.

As for the classic painters, apart from Dali (still very important!), I also recognize Max Ernst, Francis Bacon, Ernst Fuchs, Beksinski as base influences.
  7. jord001

Yeh I agree wholesomely about the info that Scott and Craig have divulged over the years. I really like the work of Godmachine who is a comic style artist from England, specifically Cardiff, Wales I think.. Just brought one of his books in fact. so what piece would you buy if you could? What would you have? Who by?

@JackEb yes Gerald does some great stuff, @Mr.Micron I forgot Boris and Frazetta, I have several books and dvd's of theirs, how could I forget them . @Franc Kaiser we would never have guessed you are a Giger fan. You must have a similar way of thinking as your art just seems to flow. Another I shouldnt forget Roger Dean, Yes album covers and others. I have them on vinyl..
    Its been a long week..

I'm trying to decide what I would like to get if I could ( I could never afford an original ) and by who.

Lee
    SiRoxx likes this.
  8. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Staff Member Admin

Well I have originals from Boris and Rockwell and a couple of signed prints from Giger. Books I have a pretty good collection from a lot of different artist.
    During my military days I would spend long flights drawing everything from the other troops on the planes to what ever popped in my mind while stuck in a plane for 14 to 20 hours. Which is where I started collecting books from artist. But unlike riding a bicycle you do forget how to draw if you do not stay with it so between still learning to airbrush I am also learning to draw again.
    jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  9. SiRoxx

That’s a great choice, Gerald Mendez is a phenomenal artist and also gives a lot back to the community.
    jord001 likes this.
  10. SiRoxx

I think which one would you buy is the million dollar question. Between them, they’ve produced thousands of pieces. I’ve had a quick poke around their pages and have some photos saved, so I’ll post some up soon.
    jord001 likes this.
  11. SiRoxx

From Craig Fraser
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From Scott MacKay
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Franc Kaiser, jord001 and doc1 like this.
  12. retiredgarnham

retiredgarnham Triple Actioner

Favourite artist of all time, Diego Velazquez. An old Master I know but in his day (died 1660), knew a thing or two about paint and for me showed how realism could be achieved with just paint "mixed using extremely toxic substances" ,brushes made of basic materials and a lot of expertise. Followed closely by Rembrandt. Same era, but if portraiture is your thing then he is your man. Not forgetting Renoir. As far as genre painting is concerned then he has to be the painter that can capture the moment and create a story out of anything. Not a single airbrushing artist in sight, but in fairness Iv'e never really looked at these artists before. If anyone can point me in the direction of artists ( airbrushing obviously) that create paintings purely on genre painting or original works, then I will certainly give them my attention.
    Franc Kaiser, jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  13. Airbrush Dreams

Airbrush Dreams Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Jesus Christ because no one can’t do what He has done! The Heavens declare His Glory and the Earth His handy work!!

You know I had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    doc1 and jord001 like this.
  14. jord001

I quite like the Craig Fraser stuff @SiRoxx do you have any other pics of his stuff that you think are good? I saw a Frankenstein one that I liked.. Trying to get some inspiration at the moment, really want to paint but cant get any oomph to go do it.

Got my Godmachine book, wow its heavy and i wanna have a look at the pics inside but I don't wanna break the seal. lol Thinking about buying another so I can have one I can look through.. I was looking at a limited edition Book and extra's but its out of stock.

gm+book5.jpg

Lee
    SiRoxx likes this.
  15. SiRoxx

I’ve been checking out God Machine, some really cool stuff. As far as Craig’s stuff goes, his gallery from the KKAS website has some amazing stuff.
    http://www.gotpaint.com/2as/gallery/gallery.html
    Scott MacKay is doing a bunch of live feeds this week and last night piece was really cool! It’s green skull and fire. He would be streaming from Boston World of Wheels but it’s been cancelled obviously. The video is on Facebook and he finished up by saying he’s looking for only $100 plus shipping. That’s an amazing price for an awesome piece of artwork. Anyhow, he posted the reference used for the stencil and the whole video is a tutorial. That could be a fun piece to try.
    jord001 likes this.
  16. jord001

Is there a link for the feed ? I'd like to watch him. Not really seen a lot from him.

Lee
    SiRoxx likes this.
  17. SiRoxx

I’ll see if I can find a link from Facebook. If not I’ll just tag you in the comments. He did a Dragon piece last night.
    jord001 likes this.
  18. SiRoxx

I’ve sent you the feeds on FB messenger. The first one had some issues, but the dragon feed is clear and smooth.
    jord001 likes this.
  19. jord001

Thanks Si, just seen them, will have alooksy in a few after my first coffee

Lee
  20. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

The Russians for me. All of them. I'm tired of the work from all the usual "Airbrush Getaway" crowd.
    jord001 and SiRoxx like this.