Wicked and acetone... general question.

Kim McCann

Mac-Valve Maestro!
I used Wicked for years, but became increasingly unhappy with it and switched to Illustration colors, which seemed to work much better.

Well, ran out of black late night the other night so I went to grab some of my old wicked black. It was doing that weird thing in 4012 where it got sandy and had chunks form. That there was the reason I stopped using it. Some specific bottles would react funny with 4012. Not all, and there was no rhyme or reason to it.

Well, it was "borked" anyway, so I wondered about trying some other things to see what would happen. Alcohol didn't seem to work, tried some ammonia, nope... Finally tried putting a drop of acetone in it.

Immediately the chunks dissolved and it became silky smooth. Did a test spray, and it was like magic. It was back to what it used to be like way back when I first started to use it, and why I had loved it.

So, I found a trick to use up my old paint.

But it got me thinking... Does anyone know why this worked? Was there supposed to be a bit of acetone in the original Wicked paints that might have been removed for some eco regulation or something? Also, I want to increase the cross linking time for erasing, so adding a touch of glycerin as a retarder seems to work, but I'm wondering about any effect to durability or light fastness with the acetone mixed in.

So far it seems fine, but I thought I'd ask the big brain of the interwebs if maybe I shouldn't be doing this, or if it might interact with clear coats, or intercoats or anything else I should be aware of.

Anyone know about the effect of acetone on Wicked paints?

Createx is phasing out 4012 and replacing it with 4013. One of the ingredients changed from a supplier, and is no longer stable in solution. Something about new shipping regs caused the change in the materials... 4012 can be a bit(# - working great one day, then causing paint to seed and break the next. The 2-Butoxyethanol (a type of alcohol) in 4012 is being replaced with Isopropyl Alcohol in 4013 ;).

Now, on to acetone ;) - the reducer 4020 is the same as 4012, but it has @10-15% acetone added by volume. You should have no problem adding small amounts of acetone.

Last edited:
Createx is phasing out 4012 and replacing it with 4013. One of the ingredients changed from a supplier, and is no longer stable in solution. Something about new shipping regs caused the change in the materials... 4012 can be a bit(# - working great one day, then causing paint to seed and break the next. The 2-Butoxyethanol (a type of alcohol) in 4012 is being replaced with Isopropyl Alcohol in 4013 ;).

Now, on to acetone ;) - the reducer 4020, is the same as 4012, but it has @5% acetone added by volume. You should have no problem adding small amounts of acetone.
I got some 4013 and I have to say I like it, but it didn't make much difference with my old wicked paints, but is noticeably better for Illustration colors. Just a single drop of acetone worked a miracle on those. Hence my curiosity.

I didn't know that 4020 had acetone in it. That os good to know. May order some for my older paints. Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Back