Would a CM-C+ be wasted on a newbie?

F

fatbobrider

Hey guys as you know i have only been on the forum and airbrushing for a little while, my question is as per the thread title.
opinions please.

Depends if you stick with it or not. And If you have the cash to pay for parts if you break something. It's a great airbrush, no doubt, just expensive.

if your gonna learn..learn with the best..but for god sakes....learn how to take of it properly......not the hard way like i did....

Thanks guys my reasoning behind the question is that i would rather learn with what i will be using 90% of the time. cost wise it doesn't worry me as this is something i have always wanted to learn, as when i was an apprentice mechanic i went and bought a $4000 sidchrome tool kit, as quality pays for itself over time.

From what i have read from this forum is that every brush has a learning curve , so i would rather learn the brush i'll stay with. as for parts hey whats a few $$$ more for our beloved hobby

well unless all you are going to be doing is fine line details, there are other brushes to consider. Most of us have more than one brush. They all have their uses. Try spraying out a large area with a fineline like a micron and it will take forever. I would say go with a .2mm or .35mm iwata if you are into paying a lot just based on a name and start with that as it is something you will always use. Each of my airbrushes has specific "jobs" to do lol. On a side note, since you say sidchrome tools, I'm deducing you live in australia (im a mechanic I know my tools hehe) Strange that it would be considered quality tools when IMO the subsidiary companies that manufacture that brand are stanley tools and here in the states they are junk for anything other than home use. This goes to state, that just because something is touted as the best, isn't always the case. Use what YOU want to use, not what everyone else uses. You are only hurting yourself if you stick to just one "brand" and airbrush. well thats just my 2 cents.

Thanks Immortal your insight is welcomed , yeah i do live in Australia have been qualified A grade now for 15 years ( also have a large range of Snap on/Blue point tools) I have 2 other brushes as well so looking for a detail brush, considered the Badger Krome and the H&S Infinity as well as the CM-C+, but would a detail brush be best to learn control with ? , sorry for the dumb questions but i thought i would ask the seasoned guys here ( seasoned doesn't mean old )

If you've got the cash, go for the micron. The whole idea that an airbrush is "too good" for a beginner is just stupid. You'll have plenty of things to figure out while you're learning, why not use the best airbrush you can and at least make things a little easier by not having to fight with a crappy brush.

Same goes with paint. The cheap stuff is terrible to work with, even if you've been doing it for years. Why not just start with the paint that will give you the least problems, and concentrate on learning to airbrush instead of learning to clear clogs every 2 minutes? (btw- I'd recommend E'Tac EFX or Createx Illustration. The Wicked Detail paints are pretty good, too. Any of the three are light years ahead of what was available back when I started. lol)

Immortal Concepts is right about one thing- never be loyal to a brand until they've earned it, and even then, your loyalty should only extend to the quality of their current products. Through a LOT of trial and error, I've found that Olympos and Iwata airbrushes are the ones I like to use the most. But, there are some brands and models I'd still like to try (because airbrushes, like tattoos, will multiply. I think I'm at 11 airbrushes, and I still want more. lol.) But, I've bought and tried pretty much all of the "micron killers" (the Mojo, Richpen 213, H&S Infinity, etc, etc). As far as I'm concerned, the only thing better than a micron is a tuned micron.

I say, enjoy it.

Thanks mate, as for the paints i do have wicked detail paints,detail line, and normal wicked line. ordered the dru blair kit today as well as the AA transparent and candy line so i should be ok with them, was just curious if the micron was too much to learn with. really want to get into fine detail stuff later on for the minute i'm content playing with my HP-C doing pc cases

My friend I don't even know how this airbrush look but my advice to you: you won't be a newbie for more than a month. Two? 3? It depends on u. The progress is fast . Take it under consideration

Hey guys as you know i have only been on the forum and airbrushing for a little while, my question is as per the thread title.
opinions please.
I highly recommend you a eclipse hp cp bp sb or what you like.

make your hand with the eclipse and buy then the cm-cp.

why? you will for sure broke needle or cap or something in 1st hours and eclipse is very cheap and the best in the business for all around jobs. then go to cm cp.
this is the path i did and started with eclipse and then cm-cp.

or you can go with http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/iwata-airbrushes/kustom-series/kustom-cs/

don`t be mad on me but .. this is the way I did. you can go for cm-cp from the beggining. it is an awesome brush but will not do an all arround job.

I's been stated before the cm-c is one of the top airbrushes and if you stick with it good equipement is never a waste.

That being said there are a couple of reasons I wouldn't recommend a cm-c to someone who is just starting out (unless money is no issue).
-You will break stuff due to inexperience in cleaning and handling the airbrush. Youll not be happy when you ruined your cm-c nozzle.
-The cm-c is pretty delicate and requiers verry good maintanace/cleaning and isn't the easiest airbrush to clean.
-You will (probably) not notice the difference between a cm-c and a slightly cheaper brush when starting out (H&S infinity/ Iwata hp-x for instance)
-The cm-c is a tool for fine detail work. You'll not be able to do that when staring out. Also you'll probably want a tool for larger area's also (you don't want to do a black background with an 0.18 nozzle :)). Here the H&S spring to mind as you can easily change nozzle/needles with them.

i use my micron for everything.....hard to put it down.
Likewise......I have no problem covering a background using a cmc either.......just need to keep the trigger open and move your hand hehe.....like the guys said though.....it really is focussed as a detail brush.....consider the micron and maybe an eclipse or badger patriot for when you want to hose the paint down

Just in addition.....the cmc plus is 0.21 mm. as standard although you can convert it to 0.18 mm. at the cost of a new head setup

Back