Xtreme© Mac Valve Delete

Ken posted the following on facebook, in a discussion about the Xtreme:

---
"regarding the PAC Dial we have a correction for the loose setting screw as well. It is part of the product change distinction that will be announced with the launch of the Xtreme Arrow in a few weeks. It and another change, that has been requested numerous times, are incorporated in the Xtreme Arrow's design and will be retrofittable to the Xtreme Patriot."

---
So It looks like they have something in the works to address the issue.

cool. I know with the release of the Slim, that Badger had listened to a good number of end users and made some smart changes to the Sotar build. My Slim may be my best built Badger right out of the box - I am hoping that they will carry the changes through a good bit of the rest of the line.

If they did something with it, it's not visibly different. Here's the Xtreme arrow
View attachment 56754
I'm pretty sure they will be releasing a new version of the brush Robby... Like they did with the Slim. In the parts list that came with it, it also shows the regular Sotar body with the adjustable needle packing, and brazed head- although they have not yet made any statement about them. I would think on the Xtreme they will be going with the adjustable needle packing as well.

There is also a photo in an add on one of their pages that has an Xtreme Arrow with no visible PAC screw at all...

I run all badgers with valve on qd, I never tried any other way, but guarantee I would not like a crappy little plastic screw down there. What's up with that?! I thought they were at least brass....

If I had to guess based on the xtreme arrow pic on their Facebook and the statement about it being retrofittable to the Xtreme Patriot....I'd suspect some sort of valve built into the spray head like on a y2 dash.....but idk.

If I had to guess based on the xtreme arrow pic on their Facebook and the statement about it being retrofittable to the Xtreme Patriot....I'd suspect some sort of valve built into the spray head like on a y2 dash.....but idk.
I don't think their manufacturing processes are sophisticated enough for those sort of adjustable pieces. The did away with the adjustable regulator head all the way back when they took over producing the parts for Thayer Model A's. The 10o is based on all the same starting pieces at the Model A, just without as much detail and finesses ;).

There is no telling what they will come out with - the end users have solved the issues they found with the PAC valve by adding a spring between the screw head and brush body (which is pretty silly), but they seem content with the home made solution... is this what Badger will provide? Possible, but as I said, who knows? I will wait and see...

I actually like the way the nozzle and needle set up work in the Xtreme. With the long, tapered nozzle, it should have been easy to come up with an elegantly tapered nozzle cap and regulator, which would have really opened up the view of the work at the front of the brush - but they chose to keep it Patriot/Anthem sized - really missed an opportunity there.

I don't think their manufacturing processes are sophisticated enough for those sort of adjustable pieces. The did away with the adjustable regulator head all the way back when they took over producing the parts for Thayer Model A's. The 10o is based on all the same starting pieces at the Model A, just without as much detail and finesses ;).

There is no telling what they will come out with - the end users have solved the issues they found with the PAC valve by adding a spring between the screw head and brush body (which is pretty silly), but they seem content with the home made solution... is this what Badger will provide? Possible, but as I said, who knows? I will wait and see...

I actually like the way the nozzle and needle set up work in the Xtreme. With the long, tapered nozzle, it should have been easy to come up with an elegantly tapered nozzle cap and regulator, which would have really opened up the view of the work at the front of the brush - but they chose to keep it Patriot/Anthem sized - really missed an opportunity there.
I almost said that seems a bit complex for badger...but....idk.
I just guessed mainly by the spray head being the only part that isn't visible, and nothing else really having any visible change. Only other thing I could think of is that they have made it optional, and are including a delete plug of some sort, as well as a screw.

[

Well, no need to wait. I guess the last guess was correct.
Screenshot_2018-10-17-17-57-22.png

Last edited:
Just ordered some 5 extra MAC valves incase I lose one only 2.50 a piece off USA airbrush supply.
The ones I got were the bigger flying saucer types which I really don't mind I mean I have less chance of losing them.
Too bad the micro air control wasn't set in the airbrush or had a thicker thread anyway. I can live with it have enough needles for my X3 Patriot Extremes to last a very long time now. I just need to get back into airbrush end up spending way too much time on the PC.
Picked up some Regdab as well which works pretty good was using some old superlube.

I picked up two Arrows because I'm a big fan of the Badger Xtreme original. The plug is just like the old MAC valve the threads are just cut in half. It comes with the smaller version and the larger version but the larger Mac valve has the full length of threads. I plan on using the Badger Arrow Xtreme because of better visibility. I need to get my ass in gear though and produce some artwork.20181117_081413.jpg

Back