Yupo/blair

Wishbone

Triple Actioner
Hi all just a quick question are synthetic papers all alike ? Eg yupo and blair as I've just received my first yupo synthetic.if I was to then ab on blair would there be a different response to the paint? Please excuse my ignorance thanks

Hi all just a quick question are synthetic papers all alike ? Eg yupo and blair as I've just received my first yupo synthetic.if I was to then ab on blair would there be a different response to the paint? Please excuse my ignorance thanks
Blair has a very slight tooth to it vs yupo. If you take a 400 grit sandpaper and lightly abraid yupo it is functionally the same as the Blair.

Terra slate or terra skin are slightly different. They include calcium carbonate in the mix, so they already have a subtle tooth to take paint and have many of the same qualities as blair or yupo. However they can stain and it is not always possible to erase to white again.

That makes some techniques easier and some more difficult.

Mostly I myself buy large sheets of yupo and very lightly sand them. I like terra, but it is harder to find in large format.

Sent from my SM-N981W using Tapatalk

@musicmacd would be your best answer for this, he uses Blair paper a LOT!
Blair paper is very good, it’s got a little more tooth than Yupo I just find the cost a bit steep.
Lana Vanguard has a good following, @SiRoxx may be able to suggest a UK outlet for you.
I’ve used yupo with Createx and it’s ok, I’ve found an Aussie supplier of synthetic paper that I get on well with so I stick with them.
Search Google for ‘synthetic paper’ and you may be able to source some free samples to test and find one you get on with. “Yupo” is a brand more than a type.
Synthetic paper is a non porous surface and very unforgiving with spiders and splatters so be warned :)

Thanks for the replies yeah I have fallen foul of the spiders and blow outs my ultimate goal is to spray custom bikes/cars and the like so I thought yupo might be similar to spraying a petrol tank regarding smoothness

Thanks for the replies yeah I have fallen foul of the spiders and blow outs my ultimate goal is to spray custom bikes/cars and the like so I thought yupo might be similar to spraying a petrol tank regarding smoothness
I haven’t tried many synthetic papers so the others with more experience have got you covered there.
I was able to source some Terraslate Paper, but it involved emailing TerraSlate in the US and asking about their trial pack. They were good enough to send some over so that might be worth a shot.
I’m also shooting for painting Tanks, helmets and such so I moved onto Aluminium panels. I did like Terraslate and it’s good for practice, but I’d guess experience leads folks to like one rather than another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all . Siroxx I'm still practicing I'm just doing another skull I'll post it soon it's on yupo with createx wicked that stuff is way different from standard printer paper

Practising on glass is good too, you learn control on hard surfaces, stick a line drawing under the glass and colour it in :)

Thanks all . Siroxx I'm still practicing I'm just doing another skull I'll post it soon it's on yupo with createx wicked that stuff is way different from standard printer paper
Nice job man. Looking forward to seeing it. It’s a big difference to standard paper and it has its own elements to conquer. But it’s worth doing to avoid the misty look you get from printer paper and struggling now just makes it easier later down the road.

In my experience they’re all extremely different. I’ve had 4 types of yupo all different and behaved differently too. The Blair paper is the most superior the tooth is there but you can erase smoothly. The Yupo has a more plasticy feel and spiders easier. Tape also effects the Yupo where the Blair has no issues.
I know it’s expensive, I cut it into 4 and that does me for a month or two. Compared to drinking and drugs it’s a much cheaper habit!

Thanks musicmacd for your help/advice I aspire to be half as talented as you.I know a lot of people must come and go on this site having tried and found it not to be for them but I am hoping to stick with it and improve with every new attempt
That’s what a lot of us hope for man. You’re in the right company.

Thanks musicmacd for your help/advice I aspire to be half as talented as you.I know a lot of people must come and go on this site having tried and found it not to be for them but I am hoping to stick with it and improve with every new attempt
A lot of newcomers come for an answer then disappear, it’s a shame because you don’t know what you don’t know and you’ll be surprised how much you can learn just by engaging in the threads. A simple statement or comment can lead to a sidetracked /somewhat related conversation about something you may not have considered

You’re welcome. With anything, it’s all about practice :)

Back