Are There Any Tricks for cutting Airbrush Box/Case Foam?

Schick

Double Actioner
Greeting fellow pigment pushers.

The case foam for my very old Paasche VSR90#2 has deteriorated quite a lot. Sadly, I had to toss it, as it was coming apart. I now need to come up with some new foam for the airbrush and its accessories. They deserve better than just jostling around in the plastic case. Cutting a rectangular shape seems easy enough. I assume there is some source for a proper foam that matches the thickness required.

Is there a good way to create a new foam insert for the plastic case? My tests with a razor did not turn out well. Has anyone here created new foam inserts? I notice that some lucky folks are getting their hands on really great, classic airbrushes, and assume someone may have refinished a box or created a new foam insert. Are some foams better suitable than others?

Any tricks, videos, or howtos? Any advice is truly appreciated.

Rock did a thread recently Where He ended up using a laser cutter for his cutouts

I once worked in a studio that made monster costumes. They had a home made device that used a nichrome wire held vertically and very taught.

some dc power was applied and that wire would get very hot. You pushed the foam into it and it was cut (melted}. just like using a band saw.

Could be a fun tool to make. Bet it is out there on the internet.

Yep they are available but are also easy to make, plans are available on your favourite search engine :)

I have a few pyrography machines which are a similar concept, they just use very short nichrome wire that gets very hot to burn wood :cool:

Back