Black Paper

C

Cminion

I was looking trying to find Bristol Paper that is black with the smooth coverage because other is to absorbent and takes forever to layer color on it. I want to practice space and fire on black but cant find Bristol black smooth. Is there any other option besides black aluminum panel? those are not that cheap per piece and want to wait to do those when i get better. Is there a good option for smooth high gsm black paper? or something else? I know about the autoborne that nada made some panels for me but autoborne not that cheap and don't know how many pieces of wood can cover. Just trying to find a decently cheap options just to practice on till i feel decent enough to do nicer stuff.

Searched on forums but could not find anything.

This was too funny,I Typed in Dickblick.com on here with a space between D... and blick and got this..
Dick Blick.com

There is a product called 'poster board' here in Australia, not sure what the rest of the world would call it. Its used primarily for kids school projects. Full rainbow of colours. its likely enough for what you want without costing an arm and a leg. Large sheets too, so you can cut to size with a sharp blade.

This was too funny,I Typed in Dickblick.com on here with a space between D... and blick and got this..
reproductive organ Blick.com

I learned that peculiarity first time I tried to reference Blick. We also call it
poster board
although black is a little harder to find than white.

On the Hobby Lobby website they have 20" x 30" Black 400-Series Presentation Board for US $4.99

yer black gesso is readily available and you can then prime any hard surface pretty damn cheaply.

yer black gesso is readily available and you can then prime any hard surface pretty damn cheaply.
ive never done gesso, nada preped some white gesso board for me but do i just some particle board or something sand it some then paint it with gesso? primer first then gesso? sand gesso after? how to apply? with just roll on brush thing? just trying to figure out how to do it all.

On the back of hardboard it has some texture. I like to gesso that. It gives it more bite. With a scraper/spatula you can do the first layer level with the texture. Then a few more layers either with a roller or a scraper.

Gesso is primer my friend..... It should stick pretty well to anything, I've even gessoed aluminium sheet with reasonable durability

Gesso is primer my friend..... It should stick pretty well to anything, I've even gessoed aluminium sheet with reasonable durability
That makes more sense lol. Ty all for help i will get some hardwood that nada uses for guesso and autoborne for 18$ i want to say but its a huge sheet, i think lowes cuts how you want. I can not fit in my vehicle, even though its a suv it is a blazer with big system in the back lol, so i have no room. Anyways ty all again and will get it all as soon as i can afford it, one piece at a time.

Less than ten bucks for eighth inch thick stuff. Id prep ya some sheets but hopefully hanging sheetrock by weekend...

Less than ten bucks for eighth inch thick stuff. Id prep ya some sheets but hopefully hanging sheetrock by weekend...
ah cool if ya do would like to be there so can fully understand. I think i got it all down but yea lol hands on always helps. I hope you get to do it this weekend because i am sure you can't wait to finish your new space.

Its pretty easy, i use my orbital sander after with 320 grit its smooth... but not glassy. Very similiar to how i would prep a helmet.
For black i just spray them black, but black gesso is available.

The reason to go black gesso instead of black paint over white gesso it that if you scratch too deep, the surface below stays black. I would go as fast as to paint the board with black primer and then cover with a good few coats of black gesso.

As it says canvas sheets i would assume that it would be textured which would cause problems with erasing if you are intending to do any

Back