California Air Tools 6310

F

foreveryoung001

So I have been having lots of nightmares with the little compressors I've been using. Just simple 2 gallon, $75 cheapos. I have a bunch of them around, do to my work, and figured they would handle airbrushing well enough, but I have gone through three of them in the last 6 months. One fried the motor, one snapped the piston rod, and the last one just started making some odd noises last night, but I haven't diagnosed it yet since my new one from Chicago Airbrush was scheduled to arrive today.

I go this model because the tank is triple the size as what I have around the house now (6 gallon), and it was supposed to be "ultra quiet" so it might bug my wife less during my late night painting marathons.

Thought I would just offer my first impressions...

I ordered through Chicago Airbrush, but it was actually drop shipped from California Airtools in Chula Vista, CA. Packaging was adequate. Nothing fancy, but protected well enough for shipping.

I had to attach the wheels, and filter, but that only took a couple of minutes. This model comes with a moisture trap and air regulator already attached, and I was happily pleased to see that they were nicer than the ones I currently have.

I set it up in the kitchen, and gave t a quick test run, just so my wife could listen and tell me if she thought it would keep her up at night. I was honestly expecting it to be comparable to some of the quieter compressors I already have, but was again pleasantly surprised when it was so much less noisy than I was expecting. It is definitely not "whisper" quiet, but the noise level was probably half, compared to what I've been using. Plus, the motor seems to run much smoother, so even that noise was not as grating on the ears. It just a loud hum.

I didn't time the initial fill, but am certain that it filled the larger tank quite a bit faster than I'm used to. I did time the refill, and with my finger held down on the airbrush, blowing about 30psi, it refilled the tank in 29 seconds.

The only fault I can find so far is the vibration of the entire unit. We live in an old farm house, and when it was running in the kitchen, you could feel it vibrating through the floor on that entire level. Now that it is in the basement, its not noticeable on the concrete floor, but if I was going to use it on the upper floors, I would probably put a foam pad under it to lessen the vibrations.

All in all, I think it was a great purchase for $249 with free shipping.

Nice little review there buddy!! I have had my eye on them and was wondering about how loud they really are. I have seen the video where they compare ten to others, but video noise and live noise is 2 different beasts.
I have always had a crush on the iwata Kustom set and coastairbrush.com has a deal going that if you buy the set you get a California air tools compressor with it. I can't afford the $1800 price tag for the set just yet, so I will have to keep the crush going, lol!!

Josh

Air compressor

It's better to have a big compressor mine runs up to 143 psi at 6.5 gal air tank if he's completely filled up and I have my pressure at 15 psi then it takes 16 minutes before the compressor start running again and stops within 24 seconds at constant use of air

http://www.airbrushforum.org/members/ferdinand-albums-foto-s-picture9706-my-air-compressor-143-psi-6-5-gal-tank.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a DeWalt from Lowe's with a 3 gallon tank, its not to bad.

I have this one , and when the Italian made compressor went out at work I ordered this one to replace it. The one at work runs 10 hours a day and runs the air for a machine @60 PSI , Had it 5 years now and no problems on it , The one at the house is about 6 years old but I only use it for airbrushing.

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M22590

In the garage I have a 20 year old 2 stage 80 gallon compressor that runs all my air tools and car lift. I am spoiled from my mechanic days...

Last edited:
That California Air has the same pump as my Lab-Air. I managed to drop the noise a bit more by covering the intake hose. I did not shut it completely, just a bit of perforated kitchen rag folded double. Air can still get in easy and you will be surprised how much more dirt it captures before it gets to the filter.

compressor_intake_sml.jpg

I just received this compressor today from chicago airbrush supply. So far I am very satisfied with it! The wife and I was able to talk,not shout, and hear each other plainly during the initial startup.I actually believe it was louder when releasing the air!
It is replacing a 5 yr old central pneumatic tankless diaphragm compressor...BIG step up!!!

Since this is my first "real" compressor I cannot compare to any others out there! I do believe that you cannot go wrong with this line though! Can't wait til the weekend...the paint is gonna fly :triumphant:

Dan

That California Air has the same pump as my Lab-Air. I managed to drop the noise a bit more by covering the intake hose. I did not shut it completely, just a bit of perforated kitchen rag folded double. Air can still get in easy and you will be surprised how much more dirt it captures before it gets to the filter.

View attachment 9875

Has anyone else tried this? Any problems with lower intake flow?

Back