Hello I am SirSpider (Shaun)

S

SirSpider

I here to just say hello and tell what sort of things i hope to do and have as gear and any other detail people feel they need to know to give the best help they can. I should start and say i am a raw beginner, i have my brush, paints, compressor and all sorts of odds and ends but i have yet to power it up in anger yet because my area is not set up yet.

What i hope to paint; well starting with figure resin kits (1/4-1/8 scale) be it character or spaceship or monster, this path will be expanded upon because i have a couple of 3d printers and i expect to make my own figures. Also while this will be a small part in the start i want to do more and more art pieces on art board/paper, not bike/car panel work i mean in a frame art piece ( but i do have a guitar project that may get a airbrush treatment).
My gear, well my airbrush is a metal testor aztek dual action with all of the interchangeable nozzles, the paints i will be using will always be acrylic, i have a few paint sets from wicked colours and vallejo.

Where am i, well i was from Australia but i have been living in England since 98, i am trained as a computer programer and web developer but i have gotten ill (mental health, moderate depressive episodes and schizoid personalty disorder) so i don't work full time. I come from a musical family in fact if you listen to some early 'Bee Gees' (spicks and specks and other songs) you will hear my uncle playing, i play guitar, sax, flute and clarinet and been concentrating on jazz guitar for the last few years.

Well thats all of it i dont know what people wish to know but thats me.

Well your very welcome SA, usually all we need need or should I say would like to know is just what equipment you have and your approximate location, this is just so we can give you help based on your current set up and advise you where to buy equipment locally when you need it soares and stuff, I hooe you'll be happy here and we will do our best to get you underway.

Since you plan on using acrylics you can easily get yourself a decent mask and a little extracorporeal unit close to a window, you could even make your own extractor unit out of an old cooker hood and some plywood/MDF sheeting, you can use an old drier exhaust hose if your not near a window for your extractor, you could arrange everything you need within a day and get more complex at your leisure if you think you need to, but you'll at least get a quick start.

We like to have a laugh whole we learn so just join in on the fun and keep your questions coming as and when you need to;)

Welcome.

I wouldn't use a stove hood fan only because I'm not sure if they are sealed. I would buy a bathroom fan as they are designed not to arc with moisture this way if you use any enamels you will have a fan that can suck the fumes out. Just build a box around it and get exhaust tube to pump it out a window. Also put a filter on outside of fan to help trap over spray some.

Welcome.

I wouldn't use a stove hood fan only because I'm not sure if they are sealed. I would buy a bathroom fan as they are designed not to arc with moisture this way if you use any enamels you will have a fan that can suck the fumes out. Just build a box around it and get exhaust tube to pump it out a window. Also put a filter on outside of fan to help trap over spray some.

Cooker hoods are are designed to extract cooking fumes such as steam which was moisture at the school I went to, not to mention vaporised fats used for for cooking, and the more modern ones are already equipped with a place for carbon filters making them usable even for uros, of course I only have 43 years experience with such things so I could well be wrong;)

Cooker hoods are are designed to extract cooking fumes such as steam which was moisture at the school I went to, not to mention vaporised fats used for for cooking, and the more modern ones are already equipped with a place for carbon filters making them usable even for uros, of course I only have 43 years experience with such things so I could well be wrong;)
I really need to build an extractor before i kill the dog or something.

Welcome to the forum! I think you will like it here. So much information and advices to gather

My dogs arnt stoned just my cat. Dogs not aloud in the spray room cause one likes to chew on random things.

Back