Hello my name is Lisa from Seattle

-Are there major points to keep in mind when trying to put together the power-wheel-housing so it will spin again?
-Is there a recommended cleaning solution to be used on its inside parts, or is carburetor grease, ok?
-Is there a recommended lubricant for the AB Turbo, and if so what types/brands do you recommend, and where should this be applied?
-Are there specific "type-of-metal" tools that one should use that will not damage the tiny screws. The small screwdriver it came with doesn't do well when screws are too tight (it was done this way by the previous owner.)
-Is there a recommended solution for removing rust from some of its parts, and also for removing a greenish tarnish due to its prolonged storage?
-There is some silver peeling that happens to it, a very thin coating, why is this? As long as it works, I'm happy to be honest.
-Are there major points to keep in mind when trying to put together the power-wheel-housing so it will spin again?
The main thing is that the top and bottom pins on the turbine wheel have to drop into the sockets in the base and in the top. These are the holes where the adjustable bushings are. I do not shake mine, just take care when putting the cover back on that everything is lined up. Sometimes you have to poke a small screwdriver in there to move the turbine wheel a little before everything drops in place.

-Is there a recommended cleaning solution to be used on its inside parts, or is carburetor grease, ok?
I use acetone for the most part. I don't use carb cleaner because it is pretty harsh on the plastic, and if it gets into the brush can effect the air valve seal. For the most part, alcohol or airbrush cleaner specific for the paint you are using is more than enough to keep everything clean.

-Is there a recommended lubricant for the AB Turbo, and if so what types/brands do you recommend, and where should this be applied?
For grease, I have had a guy that used to repair them for Paasche mention that they used to use Vasaline as the lubricant on the bearing points (top and bottom of the turbine wheel - as well as on the shaft where the walking arm reciprocates). I tend to use a clear polyurea grease on mine.

-Are there specific "type-of-metal" tools that one should use that will not damage the tiny screws. The small screwdriver it came with doesn't do well when screws are too tight (it was done this way by the previous owner.)
I use a larger screwdriver with a small blade, so that I can actually feel it in my hand. It offers a much better feel on the screw, adn allows you to keep even pressure to keep from slipping out, and rounding corners off. You need to keep in mind the larger tool offers more leverage, so reduce the amount of torque you apply, or you could twist a screw off... The one screw that gets turned the most, is the one that holds the color cup. This can be replaced with a #2 socket head screw so you can use a small allen key to loosen and tighten.

-Is there a recommended solution for removing rust from some of its parts, and also for removing a greenish tarnish due to its prolonged storage?
The brush is made mostly from brass, and then chrome plated. Any decent metal polish will aid in keeping it clean - I like Flitz, personally. The greenish color is generally from the corrosion of the brass base, and Flitz should clean that up (and help prevent it from happening again).

-There is some silver peeling that happens to it, a very thin coating, why is this? As long as it works, I'm happy to be honest.
If the plating is peeling, there is not much that can be done... it happens. I stripped and re-plated some of the parts on a few of my older ones, but this is not something most will do at home.

The main thing is that the top and bottom pins on the turbine wheel have to drop into the sockets in the base and in the top. These are the holes where the adjustable bushings are. I do not shake mine, just take care when putting the cover back on that everything is lined up. Sometimes you have to poke a small screwdriver in there to move the turbine wheel a little before everything drops in place.

I use acetone for the most part. I don't use carb cleaner because it is pretty harsh on the plastic, and if it gets into the brush can effect the air valve seal. For the most part, alcohol or airbrush cleaner specific for the paint you are using is more than enough to keep everything clean.

For grease, I have had a guy that used to repair them for Paasche mention that they used to use Vasaline as the lubricant on the bearing points (top and bottom of the turbine wheel - as well as on the shaft where the walking arm reciprocates). I tend to use a clear polyurea grease on mine.

I use a larger screwdriver with a small blade, so that I can actually feel it in my hand. It offers a much better feel on the screw, adn allows you to keep even pressure to keep from slipping out, and rounding corners off. You need to keep in mind the larger tool offers more leverage, so reduce the amount of torque you apply, or you could twist a screw off... The one screw that gets turned the most, is the one that holds the color cup. This can be replaced with a #2 socket head screw so you can use a small allen key to loosen and tighten.

The brush is made mostly from brass, and then chrome plated. Any decent metal polish will aid in keeping it clean - I like Flitz, personally. The greenish color is generally from the corrosion of the brass base, and Flitz should clean that up (and help prevent it from happening again).

If the plating is peeling, there is not much that can be done... it happens. I stripped and re-plated some of the parts on a few of my older ones, but this is not something most will do at home.
Oh my goodness, I haven't read your reply DaveG but thank you so much for taking the time to respond! I will be working on all that you have mentioned here. I am very excited to get to work! I'll keep you posted with any challenges that may arise. Have a nice evening DaveG!

Hi DaveG,
Thank you again for all of your answers! These will be very helpful as I began to explore the insides of my AB Turbo. Your point about the top and bottom pins makes a lot of sense now! I will be cautious as I attempt these steps you have mentioned. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ˜Š

Hi and welcome to our little home for wayward airbrush connoisseurs. AKA the Asylum for the airbrush addicted.
As you have seen, everything from beginner to expert is to be found somewhere here. The helpfulness and respect we have here is unknown (to me at least) at any other forum on the net. Goes back to the Founder of the site who was fond of reminding all members to "Show the Love."
Now Dragonlady (JackEb) runs the show and exemplifies the original concept. I'm sure you will meet her soon. She's a busy girl.

There are no egos here. Everyone is here to help one another. It's a special place.

You leave JBtest alone, he's a diamond for sure.
Thanks RK, diamond in the rough perhaps...:D....I do know Kingpin well enough to laugh him off. Besides, I've said worse about him....lol.
He as well as you have good hearts.

Lisa, thank you for joining us. It's already obvious you are excited about the airbrush side of life and I can see you will be a wonderful addition to the fold.

Enjoy the ride,
-Joe

Hi and welcome to our little home for wayward airbrush connoisseurs. AKA the Asylum for the airbrush addicted.
As you have seen, everything from beginner to expert is to be found somewhere here. The helpfulness and respect we have here is unknown (to me at least) at any other forum on the net. Goes back to the Founder of the site who was fond of reminding all members to "Show the Love."
Now Dragonlady (JackEb) runs the show and exemplifies the original concept. I'm sure you will meet her soon. She's a busy girl.

There are no egos here. Everyone is here to help one another. It's a special place.

Thanks RK, diamond in the rough perhaps...:D....I do know Kingpin well enough to laugh him off. Besides, I've said worse about him....lol.
He as well as you have good hearts.

Lisa, thank you for joining us. It's already obvious you are excited about the airbrush side of life and I can see you will be a wonderful addition to the fold.

Enjoy the ride,
-Joe
Hi Joe,
Thank you so much for your wonderful welcoming! I'm really looking forward to being part of this great forum, and also to meeting Dragonlady (JackEb) when I see her. I know we all can be busy with our jobs and personal lives, but I will definitely make time to come and visit this forum since I enjoy everything shared here! I myself have a full-time job, in addition to a part-time, so it leaves me little time for my art. This gives me a good excuse to research and collect future airbrushes I guess lol Boy am I happy I found this wonderful Asylum! ๐Ÿ˜

Thank you again ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™for your very nice greetings Joe, and for offering us a great place to share our airbrush interest! Have a wonderful Holiday Season๐ŸŽ„!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

and for offering us a great place to share our airbrush interest
I feel the need to clarify something, JackEb is the one offering and providing the site. I am relatively new here and even newer to airbrushing.
Our much loved and respected JackEb has been here for years, as has many others. She has a staff, most of whom have been here for years too. Some longer then her, I think.
They are the ones who have been here all along to keep the Love flowing so you, as well as I can enjoy the ride.
I'm the'new guy' - just here for the donuts, sweep the floors, dust the furniture, post a joke or two, welcome new members.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season ๐ŸŽ„as well, Thank you.
-Joe

Hi Lisa,

I feel the need to clarify something, JackEb is the one offering and providing the site. I am relatively new here and even newer to airbrushing.
Our much loved and respected JackEb has been here for years, as has many others. She has a staff, most of whom have been here for years too. Some longer then her, I think.
They are the ones who have been here all along to keep the Love flowing so you, as well as I can enjoy the ride.
I'm the'new guy' - just here for the donuts, sweep the floors, dust the furniture, post a joke or two, welcome new members.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season ๐ŸŽ„as well, Thank you.
-Joe
Hi Joe, thank you for your clarification. I'm very grateful to JackEb, and her staff, for providing such a great site! ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ™

With that said, where are the donuts? You missed a spot, and where's the humor!!! ๐Ÿ˜ Have a very nice night!๐Ÿ™โ˜บ๏ธ

You can go off people You know!

Sooooo what brushes do You have ? ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜‚ Post pics, We love pics :D
Sorry I missed this question Kingpin. I'm still learning how to use this interface. I have the Sotar 20/20, Paasche AB Turbo, Iwata HP A, Badger Anthem 155, and the Aerograph 63. I also have a vintage Wold double action, I think from the 1950s. I almost forgot the GSI Creos 270. โ˜บ๏ธ

You mean that spot? Sorry I must have gotten
dis-shiny-trac-oooh so shiny-ted, it happens some times....squirrel ๐Ÿฟ๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€ oh just a chipmunk, never mind.....what were we talking about?

Back