In your view which air compressor is BEST?

A

Artista

I have been thinking of picking up an Iwata air compressor.
Any suggestions?
Im a professional portrait artist and have a decent art studio.
I NEED a decent compressor because the one I have now is quite antiquated and LOUD.
Thanks all:adoration:

If you are a professional, I'd go with the SilAire TC-50. Ultra silent and reliable. It's on my wish list.

EDIT: I have an Iwata Power Jet, it was over $500. For just about $200 more, you could get a silent compressor. I wish I had. The Iwata is not real loud, but it's not silent either.

Last edited:
Hi Jagardn Thanks for your point of view.
I was at the 'Hobby Lobby' art store near our home. I ALMOST purchased the Iwata 'Ninja Jet' on a whim! Glad i did not.
Not to say that it isn't worth it, I need a compressor for a lot of studio work.
Also I do need to have a silent compressor as well. Ill check out the SilAire TC-50 as you had suggested.
Anyone else care to share???

I have the super silent TC-50 http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M22590
If fact I actually have 2 of them but only bought one and made the University I work for by the other for the machine I run.
Both are still working great after 7 years , Granted the one here at work runs 8 hours a day 5 days a week which is a lot more time running then that one I have at home.
But I love it.

Sil air 50 are very good ones. There's a lot of different brands using the same technique just under another brand. Most of them here are werther compressors of italy.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk

Sil air 50 are very good ones. There's a lot of different brands using the same technique just under another brand. Most of them here are werther compressors of italy.

That is what the machine here at work had when we first got it . The compressor only lasted 3 years running it 8 hours a day 5 days a week .
It was not as silent as the silentaire TC 50 is ,
Not saying they are bad compressors just saying for what the machine I run does daily it would not hold up and even thou the compressor stated it had a 5 year warranty the company told the University I work for that the warranty did not apply ..

More silent? Not bad, didnt think that's possible. They are already quite quiet. Anyway I dont have it but many airbrush brands got them so I thought it cant be bad. I got a similar one of hansa (H&S).

Warranty in professional use..*shrug* they always say it doesn't cover! :) Got that at work a lot.

More silent? Not bad, didnt think that's possible. They are already quite quiet. Anyway I dont have it but many airbrush brands got them so I thought it cant be bad. I got a similar one of hansa (H&S).

Warranty in professional use..*shrug* they always say it doesn't cover! :) Got that at work a lot.

Yeah I knew they would tell them that when the thing went out.
But having used them both yes the Silentaire won on being silent . Now if the vacuum table that holds the stock on could be that silent I would be happy and less deaf....LOL

I really appreciate everybody's comments thus far!! Thanks all keep them coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey artista..... Not sure where you are located But you can not go wrong with any compressor from the bambi range. ... These are the ones that are used in dental surgeries and are literally silent. .... I don't know if you can get them stateside bit is worth a look. ... If not then take a look at jun-air..... They will actually build from a range of parts to your own spec then ship to you

hey again mate.... that site is also a u.k site..... if you are serious about one then they run at about £300 ($500-600)

I have recently been speaking to someone from a different distributor..... they are having a meeting with bambi this week..... when the time comes and if you are serious i could see if it could be shipped to the states... and at what cost

It all comes down to what and were , because all compressors are pretty much equal , I work in my basement so noise is'nt an issue so I went out and bout a small contractors model samsung from Home Depot for finishing nails for $80.00can , with a 5 gallon tank, and to be honest it's pretty quiet. Online non tank kits are $80.00 and I have something I can use around the house as well.What you wanna spend and want out of it , and were your working.

It all comes down to what and were , because all compressors are pretty much equal , I work in my basement so noise is'nt an issue so I went out and bout a small contractors model samsung from Home Depot for finishing nails for $80.00can , with a 5 gallon tank, and to be honest it's pretty quiet. Online non tank kits are $80.00 and I have something I can use around the house as well.What you wanna spend and want out of it , and were your working.

I would disagree with that, not all compressors are equal, to get the job done for airbrushing, yes just about any compressor will work. Quality, dB Rating, Type(single piston, dual piston), etc. I personally would not put all compressors in the same basket. A well maintained Lubricated compressor will probably last a lifetime, where the Oiless compressors were designed to lower cost.

I would disagree with that, not all compressors are equal, to get the job done for airbrushing, yes just about any compressor will work. Quality, dB Rating, Type(single piston, dual piston), etc. I personally would not put all compressors in the same basket. A well maintained Lubricated compressor will probably last a lifetime, where the Oiless compressors were designed to lower cost.
I have to echo that Jeff, It is kind of like saying all cars are the same..
I run a Silent-air at home and at work but those are not cheap by any means 700 USD . but the one at works pretty much 24/7 and is over ten years old now.
But their is no right answer being we all have our shops in different places, In my Garage I have a huge IR monster of a compressor that I use for everything from running the lifts for my car to airbrushing . in the studio I set up for the winter months I use the Silent-air but I also have some contractor compressors I use around the farm off generators for when I have a flat on the tractor.
Every tool has a certain place it will shine the most like every car has a road it will handle better on.
Mainly look for a brand that will fit your budget , be at a noise level you and if others are around them too can live with.
Read reviews from people who have bought them.
Also most small studio compress that are tankless build up heat and moisture. with air off they will show about 40 PSI but once you hit the trigger you have about 20 at the compressor and maybe 15 at the airbrush.

i have a 1 hp ca air tool compressor its not exactly quiet as they say it is but i plumed it to a 7 gallon tank so it hardly runs and the cfm is high enough it fils the tanks in a minuet or less never timed it because i realy dont care to bebothered

Back