Soft Jaw Pliers

palk

Needle-chuck Ninja
I made a set of specific soft jaw pliers for airbrushes the crown cap, air cap and air valve housing.
I used a low melt plastic Polycarpalactone(PCL) or it's trade name on 👹Bay poly morph.
It melts at +60 degrees celsius in hot water and turns into a clear toffee consistency. When it touches a heat conducive surface at below 10Deg C the PCL solidifies a thin skin rapidly.
I will be making a couple of mk2 versions when I find a set dual opening size pliers from a Toyota cars tool kit
Here is a link to a +7 minute youtube clip of "what i did" more than "how too" video below
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230730-030001_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230730-030001_Video Player.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230730_012420.jpg
    20230730_012420.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230730-015719_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230730-015719_Video Player.jpg
    683.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230730-021533_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230730-021533_Video Player.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230730-021701_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230730-021701_Video Player.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230730-011526_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230730-011526_Video Player.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 7
@Pepa had posted this stuff on my thread trying to fix the handles on a couple of my brushes.

Seems it may have many uses.
It's a little problematic using it on airbrushes, as it's sensitivity to hydrocarbon solvents. Becoming sticky and tacky when dripped on it.
And solvent based and waterbased paints stick to it like crap to a blanket in some respects you can use that to your advantage.
I have not tested it on a lot of plastic but these few I have tested polycarbonate and acrolatebutnylstrene it sticks to it and is near impossible to remove hot or cold.
To Nylon, polyethylene, polypropylene and cutting mats. There is no adhesion upon curing.
While above 60deg Celsius it will wet to just about and surface
I love the stuff for prototyping. I don't recommend making a coffee cup out of it though 😂🤣😂

IMG_3363.jpegI actually bought these to change Fuse’s, they are made of ABS and withstand 1000volt. I tried it on the Airbrush and they are great. They are from the German company Knippex item number 98 62 01. I gues that other tool company’s manufacture something similar in other countries. 😉

View attachment 84459I actually bought these to change Fuse’s, they are made of ABS and withstand 1000volt. I tried it on the Airbrush and they are great. They are from the German company Knippex item number 98 62 01. I gues that other tool company’s manufacture something similar in other countries. 😉
I don't know for sure but looking at the surface finish I would say they are glass filled ABS to strengthen the ABS.
Glass fibers will srcatch chrome surfaces but they are way better than a standard set of pliers thats for sure.

They are pure ABS they don’t scratch the Chrome, not even soft metals like aluminum or copper. I have been using them since years and never had any issues with them.

Well I would have lost money on that.
Glass fibers leave a surface finish a lot like that. I Google Knipex but couldn't find anything on the material they are made from.
And experience give the best advice👍👍👍

I was skeptical at first, that they would scratch the surface too. So I tested them on soft metals and looked at it under magnification, there were no marks or scratches. I would never have recommended them here if I weren’t sure they are safe to use. 👍😉

Knipex Tools 98 62 01 Snipe Nose Plastic Pliers 1000V Insulated, Red/Yellow
For meter assembly and meter blocking
Constructed of fiberglass reinforced plastic

Knipex Tools 98 62 01 Snipe Nose Plastic Pliers 1000V Insulated, Red/Yellow
For meter assembly and meter blocking
Constructed of fiberglass reinforced plastic
Thanks busanga
I can get my money back 🤣😂🤣 but in all fairness depending on the melt flow index(MFI) of the polymer the glass fiber s can be in the surface layer or just below the surface but usally only just visible when higher MFI's are used. But either way the glass is way harder than chrome on moe's scale and at some stage will scratch the finish of chromed brush

Back