Thayer and Chandler A Elite: A variant of a legend

tatocorvette

Detail Decepticon!
Hello,

Bear with me as this will probably take more than 1 post because of the number of pictures.

Brief history
As we have discussed elsewhere, Thayer & Chandler played a pivotal role in the history of airbrushing. While the name still exists today as a sub-brand of Badger, The original company closed around 1999 or so, after almost 110 years of airbrush manufacturing and about 120 years of business. Badger acquired it about 2 or 3 years after the shutdown but that's a whole other story.
The Thayer & Chandler Model A airbrush was by far their most popular product and was in production for pretty much all of the 20th Century. A variation of the Model A was the Model AA from the 70's. Another variation is the A Elite: A gravity feed variation/evolution of the Model A.
I frequently use catalogs to get an idea of timeframes of offerings. But Thayer & Chandler catalogs are not very easy to find.
I did find a 1977 price list/order form and the Elite was not listed. Only the A, AA and models E, C and G. So I'd guess to venture the Elite was after that? I'm sure Dave can provide more info.
I recall seeing also a model AA Elite which I would think is the same variation but of the AA which was essentially a medium size nozzle setup of the A which was a fine setup.
Not sure if Elites came in different cup sizes, but as you will see, mine listed the cup size as part of the description.

My specimen
I recently acquired this Thayer & Chandler A Elite from a fellow forum member along with the Wold A-1 we discussed elsewhere.
Based on the case, I'd guess this is from around the 1990's. The case can use some TLC. Notice the label "A ELITE 1/16 oz." That suggests that maybe there were other cup sizes.
IMGP8562.jpg

The "hinge" was held by a thread. About to break.
IMGP8563.jpg

But the important part is there. The brush is in good shape.
IMGP8565.jpg

Minor traces of use and a few small scratches here and there. It can benefit from a bling session. ;)
IMGP8567.jpg

No need to take it apart. It can... never mind. I can't help it. :)
Everything was carefully cleaned and polished.
The super pointy and thin needle had a small bend at the tip. Carefully brought it back the best I could.
IMGP8574.jpg

Presenting the Thayer & Chandler A ELITE

Notice how the needle extends beyond the cap in this pic. more on that in a moment.
IMGP8578.jpg

IMGP8588.jpg

This airbrush is interesting. While not a revolutionary design, you can see it was designed to be a very fine piece of equipment. However, the machining and manufacturing process show signs of possible cost control. While not necessarily interfering with the operation or functionality, you can clearly see machining marks. The exterior finish is acceptable.
IMGP8585.jpg

IMGP8592.jpg

But you can also see the importance of that tactile feel in the design.
This is one of the most beautiful needle chuck nuts I've seen.
IMGP8594.jpg

(to be continued...)

(continuation)

While it works and most likely the correct type, I suspect the needle may not be the original. I think it is shorter. The back of the handle has what I think is a needle stop to adjust the travel, but even all the way in there is no effect on the trigger travel. I'm thinking about a possible contraption of an insert to the back handle to work with this needle.
IMGP8597.jpg
IMGP8599.jpg

Back to the needle protruding. Playing with it, I found that just like it's father, the model A, the regulator works best at 3 1/2 turns back from full tight. This type of micro adjustment can help to really dial based on the paint dilution.
IMGP8601.jpg

Ran a quick test with paint not-properly diluted with Dihydrogen Monoxide. I was able to get very fine lines. Far superior than my abilities with it.
IMGP8604.jpg

Back to the case, it received much needed care.
The hinge was protected by 2 aluminum tape strips that may eventually be painted black. I will eventually do a proper foam insert.
IMGP8605.jpg

IMGP8608.jpg
IMGP8614.jpg

And there you have it! A very nice performing Thayer & Chandler Model A - ELITE

I hope you like and approve.
Your comments and feedback are appreciated.

Thanks,
Ismael

Nice write up, I like these old thayer and chandler brushes. You do not see many in the uk though, the chuck and guide are all so delicate looking, and the spring tension adjuster is such a simple addition but great for those who want to make a brush feel their own. A real shame all those brushes are now history and the design features left behind.

I'll have to get a few pictures to help illustrate what I know... There as another website that is now gone that indicated that the Model A Elite and AA Elite were introduced in the later half of the 1960's. They were originally offered in nice, wooden boxes (I have a few, maybe?). Hints as to the approximate age were markings on the brush body. The Thayer Chandler stamping was wrapped around the body in front of the handle, same as found on the Model A Side feed brushes. First with Chicago, then just Thayer Chandler, then not at all closer to the end of their run. The A Elites that I have acquired all came with fine heads and needles. The AA Elites I have are a larger color cup, and medium head and needle. The one I have that has the smaller color cup that came in the same case as the one you have (1/16oz sticker) still has a larger cup than your example...

The needle stop buts up against the needle chucking nut, not the needle. So, it is probably the needle chuck that is not original.

AA Elite on the top, A Elite bottom. These two brushes has maybe the softest, easiest triggers to use out of almost all the brushes I own. The A Elite on the bottom will produce perhaps the finest line out of everything I have as well. If not the finest it certainly is in the running. That is one of the wooden case styles they came in - it is a later one, though. The earlier ones were made of a better quality wood, (maybe even cedar?,) were a bit smaller, and made a little nicer.
aa and a elite brushes1.jpg
aa and a elite box1.jpg

Congrats on your recent acquisitions! They are all very nice additions to any collection.

Just got back.
The needle chuck is 33mm long.
Dave, just to compare, when you get a chance, can you measure it on your A Elite?

Thanks,
Ismael

I FIXED IT! ;)

Before reading Dave's reply I had measured a roughly 3mm - 4mm difference.
So I took a styrene rod roughly the size of the back stop. Drilled a hole about the size of the needle as centered as possible by hand.
Keywords: Roughly, about, as possible by hand
IMGP8615.jpg

Sanded a little taper and simply slide thru the needle.
IMGP8616.jpg

Should work in theory...
IMGP8618.jpg

GO FIGURE! It works like a charm!
Full travel
IMGP8620.jpg

Half travel
IMGP8622.jpg

"You ain't going nowhere!" travel
IMGP8621.jpg

Where is that number of the patent office? lol

Thanks,
Ismael

They are very nice handles? Which material is it? I assume its a type of plastic..

Are they a nh style badger 100 and a TC 2000?
Thanks, and almost - the body started as a 100, but it is an early prototype patriot. The handles are acrylic pen turning blanks with brass inserts.

https://airbrushforum.org/threads/early-badger-patriot-arrow-prototype.24817/

Not far off with the 100 but I got 2000 completely wrong! That was a syphon feed vega, what i was thinking of was the 1000 and yet it was a 5000!

I am quite surprised by how much it looks bigger than the patriot prototype.

Not far off with the 100 but I got 2000 completely wrong! That was a syphon feed vega, what i was thinking of was the 1000 and yet it was a 5000!

I am quite surprised by how much it looks bigger than the patriot prototype.
couple more shots for comparison - The Omni body is the same as the Thayer Chandler AA Elite with a different head boss soldered to the body at the front. The trigger slot is a little larger, also - on the Omni vs. the AA Elite.

DSC_3743.jpg
DSC_3740.jpg

Back