A better Airbrush

J

Jonny Dexter

I am considering another airbrush (or 2, birthday and Xmas :) ) and would like some opinions on entry to mid range brushes for water based paints only. I want something that can provide good detail with a small cup (prefer gravity fed brushes) that is easy to maintain and has a good availability of parts. I'm not looking to go for a Kustom Micron or anything in that price range, and would probably be looking between £100-150 per brush.
I don't have much experience of different brands and know that everyone has a different point of view, but i keep looking at different writeup's on sites and never manage to settle on anything.

any comments welcomed. thanks in advance

Hi mate....I'm new to the game myself but if it's any help, I found the Iwata Eclipse HP - CS to be a perfect fit.... performs brilliantly, it's well built and covers a broad range from detail to broad coverage with a .35 nozzle.

It's easy to maintain and seems to be a work horse brush for many.....it also won't break the bank.

All the best

Jays

HP-CS Will do what you want to do for starting out as well as after you improve at airbrushing,
And if you get a 2nd airbrush the badger Krome is a great brush also and will do very fine detail without breaking the bank as both are about 100.00 U.S.

If you need more paint than what the CS can hold. Quicker colour changes if you have multiple bottles available.

HP-B+ or HP-C+. The .2 nozzle of th B may help you with finer lines as long as you do not have the practice in using AB but the cup will certainly hold less paint.
You are looking as you want to take AB serious. Take the best you can afford! This will help to avoid disapointment. If you find AB is not your cup of tea -there is always a market for top level brushes.

that's for the guidance - I'm going to look in to the brushes mentioned. Will probably go for the Iwata and a badger so i can get a feel for both brands. lets see how my performance with the AB is over the next month or so. I though the Rich pen i have was a .2 but i don't feel like i can achieve good detail without too much spidering but its probably my lack of knowledge and control and reduction :S

@ any Evolution (Silverline) users - how do you rate these brushes and also the 2in1 ?

that's for the guidance - I'm going to look in to the brushes mentioned. Will probably go for the Iwata and a badger so i can get a feel for both brands. lets see how my performance with the AB is over the next month or so. I though the Rich pen i have was a .2 but i don't feel like i can achieve good detail without too much spidering but its probably my lack of knowledge and control and reduction :S

@ any Evolution (Silverline) users - how do you rate these brushes and also the 2in1 ?

Any of the brushes mentioned are good. The Evo is a great airbrush, the only drawback is that it has no trigger tension adjustment. I modified mine my swapping out the stock spring assembly with the one from the Infinity.

Not as low as a gravity gun but I'm sure you you can go as low as 15psi if the paint is thin enough.

I have just got the iwata hp-c for my first brush and as people say it's ideal at. 35 and easy to maintain maintain

Have airbrushed with Badger 150s for several years then graduated to Paasche VL and found it a great brush as well. Am moving to a Paasche Talon Gravity feed gun with a .2 needle / head assembly for the fine work. Will eventually move to the Iwata or similar as my skills and airbrush needs warrant.

I can vouch for the iwata eclipse and the hp-b and hp-c and also the chrome and even a talon. Had good results with all of them.

Lee

Back