Another Oly HP-101

palk

Needle-chuck Ninja
Well I picked up for $29 AUD
My first Olympos brush was aiming a little higher
But I take what I can find/afford
She is in pretty good Nick though the internal plating of the cup is a bit dodgy.
But all the bits and original box are there except for the lose tag.
It was a little locked up with old paint and some sort of dried out lube.
The paint was only a single color,,,, so not a lot of use.
So in true impatient form. I ran a little thinners through it then mixed some white in varying viscosity's,, with confusing results for a 0.3mm.
It was hard to get "defined" fine lines so I went for shading and it was a little grainy and light. But paint flow via the trigger was predictable, linear and smooth. I varied the psi up and down with my 6 mixes. There was not a pressure that transformed the results to a "got it" state.
The only thing I didn't suffer from was tip dry. So I am hoping a paint brand change, to resolve the issue I am using a Baslac solvent basecoat auto paint. All my waterbased paints are to old and crusty now to realy rely on
Just one excited squirt is not enough too make a conclusion on the 101,,, but it was surprising for a 0.3mm brush to act like it was starving for paint and may need a full pull down and clean soak. To cover anything I missed
I will post my progress after a clean and better testing

Attachments

• 20231204_193805.jpg
    20231204_193805.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231119_135226.jpg
    20231119_135226.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231204_194026.jpg
    20231204_194026.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231204_193935.jpg
    20231204_193935.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 20
Congratulations on the purchase, whenever I can I get an Olympos, I have a weakness for them, now I am waiting for one of the 200 series to add to the collection.

get 'er cleaned up. That .3 is quite a capable combo. I have the 101, and as well as a couple others using similar setups from either Olympos, or other Japanese brands. I was surprised at the detail they will allow, while also moving some paint at larger openings. I was not such a fan of the weight of the cup, so made an adapter to allow the use of the smaller color cups, like Iwata

Congratulations on the purchase, whenever I can I get an Olympos, I have a weakness for them, now I am waiting for one of the 200 series to add to the collection.
Thanks Fran
Oly's where the first lust in airbrushes 😛 after picking up airbrushing again 7 odd years ago. The price, surprised me especially from a hockshop.
I"m a patient man🤣😂🤣

get 'er cleaned up. That .3 is quite a capable combo. I have the 101, and as well as a couple others using similar setups from either Olympos, or other Japanese brands. I was surprised at the detail they will allow, while also moving some paint at larger openings. I was not such a fan of the weight of the cup, so made an adapter to allow the use of the smaller color cups, like Iwata
I am with you DaveG on that, it is a large and thick, clunky design But if you look at the solder joint from the pipe to the cup. I hoped it's 75%+ silver content,,,,, I'll be rich🤣😂🤣

Olympos? Did someone say Olympos? Several years ago I was doing some testing and wound up making a bulk purchase of several models. The Olympos MP200B was my first introduction to them, purchased as an Iwata Micron (mid-1980's). Everything was branded Olympos with just an Iwata hang tag and some literature. I still have a soft spot for them. Although, I generally wind up modifying them if they are brushes I intend to use daily.

stands2a.jpg

Nice group of brushes Dave. I see one side feed sticking off the end.:thumbsup:

My eyes aren't great, looking at the four in the front center row the cups look to be tapered squares. Are they? If you could post a pic of one by itself that would help.:)

Hey Ian, stop drooling.lol

Side feed on the left is an HP-100SB that has been heavily modified. The 5 small cup brushes along the front are MP200A's, each set up with a different head, needle and nozzle combo for comparisons sake. There are two SP-As, 1SP-B, an MP200B, 1 200b and an HP-100A.

this is an MP-200A(Micron) with a trigger (and a few other bits) I made for it -
olympos_MP200A.jpg

this is a modified HP-100SB -

Olympos100 200sb Iwata hybrid.jpg

He's a shark. Smells blood in the water and he's on it.

I looked at my Olys yesterday. Think I'll keep 'em. Neither one looks used.
Ahhh you where just chumming the water
Congrats on the bite
You used the right line,,,too🤣😂🤣

Thank you sir.

The cup style on the Micron is cool. I like it.

I love the 100SB too.
The MP200 "A" cup always looked like they just ground down a "B" cup with a 1½ inch diameter belt linisher.
And went "oowhhh that'll work" WHO said we forget an "A" cup size
Or it maybe my guilty conscience 🤣😂🤣
And I love the SP-B cup and it holds the longest drool🤤 for me

Back