For Every Airbrush Artist!

Want to see more forum, less google ads ? Then register for free

Register

Ape Skull

Discussion in 'Artwork help and showcase for newbies' started by Llew81, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Llew81

Llew81 Double Actioner

I've had the kit for a couple of months now, but with the whole Covid situation I haven't been able to actually try and do anything yet (other than v quick dots and line sessions).. having to go into work as a key worker and then teach the kids at home left no time for anything else. Summer camps are open now and so I have a little more time.

Here is the first thing I have tried to actually spray or paint (what's the correct term?). I've also managed to somehow bend the needle of my airbrush (Iwata HP C-Plus) during some snatched practice time doing dots and lines so I don't suppose that helped much.
    It's not really finished as I haven't gone back in with either white or black to finish off some shadows/highlights... I'm finding both black and white really tough so figured I'd quit whilst I was ahead rather than risk spoiling it too much.
    I just used Comart trans black and trans smoke grey for it on regular cheapo printer paper. Thumbnail is what I was trying to copy.

633123988e710a371d9e1c715fda88b2.jpg
    Ape-Skull-small.jpg

Thanks
    Rhod
  2. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Staff Member Admin Very Likeable!

Enjoy? :D

Sry to hear about your needle. I guess bending a needle is a part of this sport I guess. When I am not sure what I am doing I am using prong guard for needle.

There are also ways how to fix needles. Anyway, good job on your first try. :thumbsup:
    Llew81 and jord001 like this.
  3. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

It came out looking pretty good looking at the reference. Would look even better if the sides were dark like the ref. You will get tip dry with black and white, its something you learn to minimise and manage it over time. All part of the airbrush learning curve. You will learn how to get it working better.
    As for your needle you can roll the very tip of it between the handle and another hard flat surface to get the bend out of it as long as its not too badly damaged. Good work.

Lee
    Llew81 and huskystafford like this.
  4. Llew81

Llew81 Double Actioner

Thanks.. just given this a try and it seems to have worked pretty well.
    jord001 likes this.
  5. musicmacd

musicmacd The Createx Bandit Very Likeable!

Looks good