Best detail airbrush 2023

thelittlesheep

Double Actioner
Still learning. But was curious about the best easy to use detail brush. Taking the price a little bit into consideration.

Dred FX custom paint Youtube: He modified the H&S Infinity with 2 rings. Creos 771, and the Iwata custom micron.
Is short he is saying that all 3 are most capable in doing detail work.

But at the end he decides that H&S Infinity with 2 teflon rings + finger trigger hack, makes it almost exactly as a Iwata Micron.
Can someone with both these brushes please reply if that is true?

If it is true, then H&S Infinity wins in 2023 for best detail aibrush in all flanks. It's price is 1/2 of an Iwata micron.

It will be interesting when the new infinity comes out to get some real world reviews before jumping on it. The 2023 infinity is tried and tested, you may get a good deal on the older model when the new one comes out.

It sounds like the 2024 evo is very good, and it can take the same head, needle and nozzle as an infinity. What has dredfx had to say about that brush?

I own 5 H&Ss (Infinity, Giraldez, Grafo T1 and T2 and I just got me the new 2024 Evolution), a CM Takumi, a PS771, a Sotar and a Paasche Raptor (I would not recommend this one).

Detail is not only related to how thin can an airbrush lay down color but mainly the control over the point that an airbrush starts to spray.
You need consistency and repeatability.
Infinity/Giraldez did not cut it.
It can produce very thin lines but it is not consistent with respect to the trigger control.
Adding the teflon seals does sliiiightly change the response but it still does not solve the problem and in no way makes it equal to a micron or the ps771.

For detail if you consider spending the money for an infinity then I suggest to either wait for the new 2024 infinity or get a 2024 evolution which resolves the only objective problem (repeatability when you start to pull the trigger) that the H&S brushes had (pre 2024) and that is on par with any high end airbrush.
The new Evolution is leaps ahead the pre 2024 Infinity.

That sounds like a good contender to me. With your mention of considering budget you should take a look at prices of micron nozzles and needles🤯

I think what harder and Steenbeck have done with their universal nozzles is great and it shows a supreme confidence in them. Their top of the line brush has the same nozzle and can compete with brushes twice as expensive.

Tonal holds the 2024 evo in high regard by the sounds of it, I would be tempted to look towards that or hold out and see what else the 2024 infinity has to offer if you can wait before making a final decision.

I would also ask what kind of detail are you wanting to produce?

Also the Sotar if you live in the US ($100 now at amazon) is a very good option .
Consider adding the two prong air-cap 20-102 if the stock aircap is not concentric and it adds protection to the needle.

@tonal : how does the 771 compare to the others? Does this mean, Evo 2024 is king, trigger response + price wise ?
The 771 is really good but spare parts might be a problem.
Custom micron needle and nozzle fit but an Iwata matched head and nozzle cost as much as an Infinity or the 771...

H&S offer much greater versatility and at a reasonable price for the brushes, the spare parts or optional needle and nozzle sets, color cups and all the available accessories.

I prefer the 771 over the Evo 24 for fine detail work and use the Evo in a more general purpose role. Creos parts have not been hard to obtain in my experience. I have bought various headsets, needles and other bits from a range of suppliers. Just got a 771 head winging my way at the moment from Spray Gunner which I'll use to pimp out another Chinese brush

the best easy to use detail brush.
75 people will give you 75 different answers to this question. My answer is the brush that you get most comfortable using. That can, and usually is different for everyone. All of the brushes you mention are good, for sure.

I have plenty of high end brushes to choose from, but find the ones I use most often are actually an Iwata Eclipse Takumi, Iwata HP-B, and now I have to add the H&S Evolution 2024 to the mix. I have been working on a few tweaks, and I believe the trigger on the Evolution is maybe one of the best have ever put a finger on. My Infinity Cr+ will remain a display piece on shelf, for sure. It sits next to a number of Microns from more than one maker...

Experience using a brush will lead to more potential detail than any amount of money will bring in in a day... practice, practice, practice!

Hmmm, Iwata Eclipse seems to be a very good candidate if your trigger finger is good at controlling paint. It sprays detail as good as a micron does, but at a closer distance between needle and paper. It has a 0.35 mm needle. Can spray any acrylic paint right out of the bottle. No thinning needed. Price is about 1/2 the price of a micron. Youtube "The art workshop " nomintates it as the number 1 brush.

Edit:
@DaveG : interesting you mentioned Iwata Eclipse.

Hmmm, Iwata Eclipse seems to be a very good candidate if your trigger finger is good at controlling paint. It sprays detail as good as a micron does, but at a closer distance between needle and paper. It has a 0.35 mm needle. Can spray any acrylic paint right out of the bottle. No thinning needed. Price is about 1/2 the price of a micron. Youtube "The art workshop " nomintates it as the number 1 brush.

Edit:
@DaveG : interesting you mentioned Iwata Eclipse.
For what it’s worth I find my eclipse can achieve surprising detail. Surprising because it does everything else well too. So I totally agree with this comment.

The only brush I would also mention to OP (again like Dave) is an iwata hp-b - or in my case I use a Rich ab-200 variant most often.

Any brush (within reason, no .5mm or above) can achieve detail with the right distance, control, paint/air mix.

But sticking with the 3 you mentioned, of which I have them all, here's my thoughts (plus what I paid):

771 sprays nicely. With very thin paint, you can get tiny dots and lines all day long. It's a long brush and that big connected color cup can be an obstruction and the length can be a bit much ($148 from Japan).

Infinity CR plus. .15mm can spray a nice tight line, its a well balanced brush, offers good versatility by swapping out nozzles ($300 a few years ago).

Iwata Micron Takumi. Wow. I've avoided these for years, thinking it wasn't worth it for doing models, etc, but when I decided to start illustration, I grabbed one. It almost brough a tear to my eye. Seriously, I wasn't prepared for the leap in quality. It's such a precise instrument, you can just feel the difference. It's like getting into a Benz after driving a VW all your life. Performs as expected, no let down. I paid $380 a few months ago from Art Supply Warehouse in CA, all in. Considering the moisture trap and case you get included, plus the warranty, at only $80 more than the H&S, its a no brainer.

Out of curiosity. Has anyone tried putting their trigger from the new evolution 2024 into the current infinity?

Wondering if that would be a good upgrade to get better trigger response out if the older Infinity.

Out of curiosity. Has anyone tried putting their trigger from the new evolution 2024 into the current infinity?

Wondering if that would be a good upgrade to get better trigger response out if the older Infinity.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Back