Best detail airbrush 2023

I guess it also depends on what one might mean by "detail"... scale of the work would have a lot to do with that, too. A 24"x36" piece photographed and posted in a 4" window on the internet can look jam packed full of detail. Working on smaller pieces can make the need for detail a lot less important, because what really needs to be accomplished is enough of a suggestion of detail to sell the idea to the eye/brain... I tend to work 12"x16" or smaller, these days.

11X14 started with a Badger Patriot 105, but done mostly with an Iwata HP-B
bee on iron weed1.jpg

@8"x10" done mostly with Iwata HP-BH
cardinal1.jpg

8x10 on canvas using an Aerograph Super93
violet sabrewing1.jpg

12"x16" done with an HP-B and Infinity CR+
goldfinch sunflower1.jpg

scribble done fooling around with a Creos 770 head on Chinese brush body - pretty sure this was on yupo
1st creos experience1.jpg

I guess it also depends on what one might mean by "detail"... scale of the work would have a lot to do with that, too. A 24"x36" piece photographed and posted in a 4" window on the internet can look jam packed full of detail. Working on smaller pieces can make the need for detail a lot less important, because what really needs to be accomplished is enough of a suggestion of detail to sell the idea to the eye/brain... I tend to work 12"x16" or smaller, these days.

11X14 started with a Badger Patriot 105, but done mostly with an Iwata HP-B
View attachment 89118

@8"x10" done mostly with Iwata HP-BH
View attachment 89117

8x10 on canvas using an Aerograph Super93
View attachment 89121

12"x16" done with an HP-B and Infinity CR+
View attachment 89120

scribble done fooling around with a Creos 770 head on Chinese brush body - pretty sure this was on yupo
View attachment 89119
Fantastic demonstration of skill and that there are a whole range.of.brushes out there capable of detail or atleast making your eye perceive it.

I have a whole bunch of pollen laden bee photos and I hope to airbrush one, one day!

Are you getting a new brush @thelittlesheep ? Or still pondering/just browsing?

I made a choice. bought the 0.15 needle for the Evolution. AND, ordered the micron. I am getting the hang of the evolution with the 2 teflon ring hack. But I will need a good detail brush. So, next week I will have a general brush : Evolution 2023, and and a detail brush.
So, I am set for a long time. No need for other brushes. Actually I should have bought the Iwata Eclipse from the beginning.
But, H&S is working. Although I do feel the metal scraping, due to the golden lever. Just aint that smooth.
But a good brush. At this moment it is me that cannot handle the evolution..... ^_^) //... yet.

Need to find good ratios between air PSI, paint and thinner. Getting too many spider webbing. I am using Createx airbrush colors, thinned paint:demi water, 1:0.6. Trying to make continuous circles, pendulum lines, with gradually thickening and thinning of the line (dagger stroke), with help of the trigger.

Attachments

• 20240507_010308.jpg
    20240507_010308.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 15
I am glad you got your brushes sorted (ie. Settled on the micron and are content with the evolution). The micron was a big commitment, Iwata customer service, back up, performance and quality are extremely good from what I read on the forum so I think it was a good buy.

The Evolution has been a very successful brush for harder and Steenbeck so I hope you start to get good results as you learn more about its characteristics.

It looks and sounds like you have got the bug and are looking at improving the right things.

The best detail brush is the one your comfortable with using and gets the job your doing done. Sometimes my Eclipse is all I need, other times it could be the micron, Evo or Infinity ect. It’s all about preference so there is no one best detail brush that suits everybody. 😀👍

Yes, I agree, that depends what are you painting, what style and size... for example, I don't know exactly what was the measurement of this one but not much, maybe 15 cm/5'9 inch in high maximum. It was done with the Super 93 Aerograph on grey card board covered with Liquitex transparent Gesso.
IMG_2439.jpg

I love painting birds as well like @DaveG, ... sorry for the comparation, their's are astonishing... 😲🥲
In this one I rise a little the colour to give him a touch, love this humble bird named "mosquitero" in Spain.

Source original picture: https://www.pajaricos.es/galerias/galeria-m/paginafotos-m/mosquiterocomun028.htm

Above birds are very nice. Some made with a Creos 770. A professional detail brush. Really like the art. My art still in backorder. o_O
I just did not have any trust in my brush, the evolution 2023. There are ways to work around it:

Try spraying on a piece of test paper first, then immediately onto your artwork. I had to do this because sometimes, it would not spray paint. Those are the moments, I must not force it to spray by pulling the trigger more back: result, mega amount of paint splatter. Secondly, spray simple dots. You would say, that someone who had a sprayed for about 6 months would be able to do such simple task. Well, Even that was tricky. Why?
When I pulled the trigger a bit back, no dot. So sometimes I had to pull a bit more back. It was so inconsistent. I really didn't like the Evolution 2023.
Started to think, is it me? The evolution will work great if you use shields because extreme precise control is not that important. Spraying very thin layers is also no problem. It is just that I am a more of a pencil, free hand person. I like to paint with it.

I did some research about the best brushes. Creos, Iwata. S&H I skipped completely. I have no confidence in them. I am sorry H&S. When I pay quiet some money for s brush I expect it to work when I want it to work. I eventually made an decision to visit a airbrush shop that was working from a private home. He had a few google 4 / 5 stars. And the customers were happy about the way this shop owner communicated, just to the point and giving valuable info, that is really useful. So I ordered and went to this shop. Was a long drive. The brush was just too expensive to trust package companies. It happened before many times that it was delivered to another address with the same number.

I went, talked the the owner, really nice guy. Explained to me about paints, cleaning. Showed me a few examples like motorcycle tank painting. Really awesome. Learned a few things. Took the time to explain it. A really nice bonus was the price. He said, because he has the shop a living house, there is no rent, no salary to pay to employees, etc. I could buy the brushes sometimes for 60 euro cheaper. That is huge!
I asked if I could sell my 2nd hand brush (+ all spare parts) to him to get a discount. That was possible.

I decided to buy the Iwata Micron Takumi + Iwata Eclipse Takumi. with some spare parts for the eclipse. He gave me even more discount and a bottle of Candy color on top. Man! What a guy! So the discount was way more than 60 euro.....

I have been trying the Micron now for 2 days. I am really amazed. I am speeeeeeechless almost. This is exactly what I wanted.
Below attached A4 paper you see I tried the simple dots, with the needle cap on, I am not that good , to do it without. Every single time I wanted a dot, it would spit the exact same amount out. A tiny but more pulling back is a tiny bit more. Then I tried getting closer to the paper. Even tinier dots as you experts know. I did maybe 50 dots? All 50 spot on!!!! Jaw open! Then I tried without 2 parts, the needle cap and 0.18 mm Nozzle cap. According to the manual it will produce spots. Well. ok, I thought, let me give it a try. See those perfect round black dots on the paper? It was just pull back and release to create 1 ore more of those dark round dots. Easy job, a kid of 2 could do it. The needle will then be full of paint, coated evenly. I got a cotton swab with demi water and gently removed the paint from the needle. Then screwed back the 2 parts. And continued sprayed lines.

Tried both the Micron and Eclipse. I am a slow worker and the Eclipse just sprays so fast, it is a bit hard for me to control. So, for me the go to airbrush is at this moment, the Iwata Micron. Shame I had to waste money with a brush I did not know I would "hate": Evolution.

Ah yes, Iwata screws the caps way too tight. I tightened the caps by hand, tested with some soapy water, no leak.... don't understand why a Iwata soft plier is required.... yes I damaged coating a bit . Tried with a plier with duc tape, but the metal just pressed thought. Had to use soo much force to unscrew it. A rubber seal does not require high amount of Nm to seal airtight. Kinda like the motorcycle oil filter. It is the little bit of oil on the black seal that completely seals it perfectly.....

It is a pity that some people I know said, ahhh you don't need an expensive brush. H&S is good, it is you.
So, advice should be taken by a grain of salt..... because people don't know others, they only know themselves.

Every person is different. Best is try cheap and middle and expensive, have a look at your wives bank account. LOL. Joking here... And decide, which will be be for the next few years....

Attachments

• 20240512_170547.jpg
    20240512_170547.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 7
in reply to post #1: I am guessingm but someone is truly biased. Or paid to say that a H&S with 2 teflon hack is the same as the Iwata Micron. There is no way! Now , that I tried both, I can 200% say. Dream on!

A lot also comes down to experience, a few years down the line You would probably find you could spray equally as well with a H&S as the micron

Everyone will have a different opinion. And that also has to do with ability to control the brush and paints. I'm a big fan of Olympos the first Microns and Iwata Microns. I've been airbrushing for over 30 years. But even today if I get new Iwata Micron I still have to tweak/replace the Air Valve spring with a $30.00 soft spring and mod the needle spring. This is to get a smooth and soft feel. Now on the Harder & Steenbeck brushes. They are sweet airbrushes. I have the Ultra 2024 which I just wanted to see how they made the trigger not go back until you push down on it. It was designed for beginners. That don't realize you must push for AIR FIRST and pull back for paint second. I also have the Evolution 2024 which I like very much. I replace the Air Spring and o-ring. And modded the needle spring. From DaveG. This is the samething as I did to the Iwata Microns for the same purpose smooth and soft feel. I am waiting on the New Infinity 2024 it's suppose to have a very new nozzle design.

As for you saying someone is geting paid to say good things about Hard & Steenbeck. Is Funny. Their is no one on these forums that are being paid.

As for prices. The Harder & Steenbeck cost less is a good thing for the customer. Forgot. Do you know that Iwata own's Harder & Steenbeck? :):)

@Airbrushkid : true, 1000 people, maybe 1000 opinions.

Just wanted to share my thoughts. I just didn't like the trigger response. Lag I can manage. Then I will learn to pull faster or pull a bit earlier. No problems there. Understand. But, if it is not consistant, yes that is huge! So, proberly I will never ever try H&S again. Yes, I heared, Iwata and H&S...
Creos I could have bought. But, I was really not into the buy and don't like again....just tired of it all.

Well, no on on this forum is paid, because we actually do it for our hobby, semi professional / professionally, but we are just too honest to sell stories. I am pretty sure I do not want to be a salesman.....I sell what I believe, tested myself and know it is good.

Yes H&S looks great, prices are competitive, but function is not as good as Iwata. I tried the Evolution 2024 for a minute. Just dots for the trigger response. It was a few months ago. And I was not particularly amazed by it. Was really thinking to upgrade from Evo 23 to 24....but after trying it...felt almost the same for me.

But the Iwata.....this is the real deal..... best of the best (as far as this noob knows)

Now, that would be something.... that means my skill has surpassed any brush... Looking forward to that moment sir kingpin!
As do all of us 😁

I am quite sure that the likes of Dred and most of the members here can produce better and consistent dots and lines with a cheap .5 brush than I can with my sotars or 771, doesn't stop me churning out stuff I am mostly happy with though 😂

Sotar are good brushes I hear, just need a bit more love to keep them operating it seems. No idea why. As for the 771, is that not Iwata Miceon twin brother? Who looks a bit different but almost the same?:cool:

Back