hooking up Air brushes to non AB compressors....

M

mrsuthern

I have just received my first AB (Thanks strictlyattitude) and have a decent budget compressor from a supply store (tractorsupply). Now... with my AB being a Badger and ..... well... just the AB. I am catching all kinds of crazy trying to get something that's manageable and reasonable to get them to work.

I mean I could go ghetto with it and just cut the threaded portion off the supplied hose that came with the compressor and hose clamp it onto the adapter that came with the AB (the one that lets you use Iwata and other hoses). But I don't want that....soooo tomorrow more shopping , grrrrrrr

Sooooooo if anyone can for both here in the States and over there In Aussie land and beyond make a video of setting up your air brush straight out of the box.

Something along the lines of "so you just got your Air Brush, now what?!"

I hope you know what I mean. Y'all have done awesome on the compressor options, how to control air brushes and all. Just kinda need one from Box to what to do to hook up (and as many trouble shooting spots you can think of) your air hose. Any connections, adapters, sizes, thread pitches...the whole shabang. A member had some pictures of what he used and I was trying to reference it again while I was out today trying to beat the clock to maybe try some dots tonight ...but all I have are a compressor, hose (that came with compressor) a shiny Badger Velocity and a whole lotta spoiled kid in my head screaming "I wanna play with my toy!!!!"

You need an airbrush hose for your Badger. One end will connect to your brush the other end will have the right thread to connect to your compressor. Micheals Crafts will have the hose as they sell Badger products.

You need an airbrush hose for your Badger. One end will connect to your brush the other end will have the right thread to connect to your compressor. Micheals Crafts will have the hose as they sell Badger products.

Ironically... that was my first stop today. I have a new found dislike for Cake boss, cupcake wars, and the likes due to having to compete with decorators for supplies. The airbrush section got ravaged, all that was there were some primary color sets for spectratex ( I snagged one for $15) the cards to show to the cashier if you were buying an AB and some needle conversion packs, thats it.
I actually did three laps around the store hoping to see if someone just dropped a hose line somewhere being lazy....no luck.

I even cleaned my garage dang it!!!!

Edit: Thanks for the info though! I was hoping that was the case! Now... to work up the nerve to take the motorcycle on the Terror of a main road long enough to get to the only other Michael's in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will try and find a good pic I have, think AndreZa posted it in another forum previously, lays it all out connection wise with a simple pic and a what you may need. Watching the World Series, think the pic is on my computer or phone, will check in a bit an post it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6ara3evy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Look to you local Michael's craft store and just buy a air hose that not only will fit the airbrush but have the other end already set up to screw into a male nipple attachment that goes to you compressor ..

Badger 6' Braided Air Hose

Hey mrsuthern, Ive just had a thought - something I have done on more than one occasion. If you dont come right with Michaels'S then find a local pneumatic truck brake supplier. Mine has almost always found me the things that the hardware shops and other "shops" didnt have. BUT make sure you take the sample threads you need joined with you. they may even be able to make up a hose for you. I have seen AndreZA using a "hydraulic" hose and it actually looks more comfy than those blue ones.

@wmlepage - great find dude. +1

Thanks all! I finally got one from a Michaels wayyyy across town today! Will be shooting dots shortly, just got a pizza to polish off.

That picture wmlepage gave needs to be part of some sort of sticky as I am sure I aint the only.... waterhead that will be asking.

I have thought that pic should be in a newbie section somewhere. Its why I saved it. I believe it was our very own Andre who posted it almost a year ago on another forum. I saved i then on my computer and have since put it in my phone so I can pass it on. I have also seen one from Grex that is ok just not as easy to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hope you have a pressure regulator and a tank or else youl be having the thing constantly on and at 100 psi. which gun did you git

Thanks Andre, that diagram helped me quite a bit in the beginning, just keep sharing it.

Hi, all.
Safety point first!
Remember to ALWAYS lower the pressure regulators on your tanks, lines etc BEFORE YOU TURN ON THE COMPRESSOR.
This will save you from having to replace diaphragms or seals on a very regular ( reads: EXPENSIVE !) basis.
Just thought I'd share (from experience) with the group.
Thanks,
Splasha

Hi, all.
Safety point first!
Remember to ALWAYS lower the pressure regulators on your tanks, lines etc BEFORE YOU TURN ON THE COMPRESSOR.
This will save you from having to replace diaphragms or seals on a very regular ( reads: EXPENSIVE !) basis.
Just thought I'd share (from experience) with the group.
Thanks,
Splasha

Splasha, please explain. It's not like the tank is under instant pressure as soon as you switch on the motor and there is a one way valve so that the motor is not under any pressure when it starts.

When I first started working in a factory [more years ago than I care to think about now!] I was told to connect a hose [shielding gas] to the welder I was using.
There was already gas in the hose, under pressure, and when I did as I was told, the pressure in the line blew out the diaphragm in the pressure regulator, when I turned it on!
Could not control gas pressure from then till they got it replaced.
The same would apply to water traps/pressure control valves and the like, being fed from the compressor tank, when you turn the air pressure on.
Don't know how much it would cost to repair/ replace a water-trap diaphragm, but I reckon it would be cheaper these days to replace the unit.
Splasha

Back