Hybrid airbrush design

Those U type wolds look fascinating, i am intrigued by these designs when people were trying new things when the airbrush was young, its similar with most things, for example the early days of the internal combustion engine saw some wonderful and unique designs before everyone began to settle on a standard sumilar design.
I love the Model U. I have several which encompass some of the development and growth of not just the model, or brand, but theory of the airbrush as a whole (head designs changed and developed over a couple of decades landing on what we still see today). It was a fantastic time in American airbrush development. I think because they were so different, even visually, people were hesitant to give them a chance. Keep in mind, at this time period and airbrush could cost as much as a months rent. Advertising moved at a snails pace compared to today's vial markets, so they perhaps never really got a fair shake.

Wold Model N-2.jpg

... What makes this brush different is that the needle does not move. The front of the brush (nozzle and paint supply) move forward as the trigger is manipulated.
That was my first thought when I read RK's push forward idea. Keep the needle fixed and move everything else.
Since we are throwing design ideas (and I think Wold or Paasche had something similar), I recently thought of a dual action external mix where the cone may be adjusted by the trigger, leaving the needle in place.
I am pretty sure that almost every contraption we can think of, O.C Wold did try already over a century ago:)

Thanks,
Ismael

That was my first thought when I read RK's push forward idea. Keep the needle fixed and move everything else.
Since we are throwing design ideas (and I think Wold or Paasche had something similar), I recently thought of a dual action external mix where the cone may be adjusted by the trigger, leaving the needle in place.
I am pretty sure that almost every contraption we can think of, O.C Wold did try already over a century ago:)

Thanks,
Ismael
yes, that is exactly how the pictured prototype works. The trigger pushes the cone (along with a sleeve and paint cup) forward, while the needle remains fixed.

Wow, what a time to have been an airbrush engineer. I had thought about the nozzle and head moving but I thought a rack and wheel would be a great idea to move the needle backwards. Roll it forward and the needle and rack moves backwards. so it does not move too far away from convention.

Do you think you will ever bring a book out Dave?

OC Wold toyed with the idea of a push forward trigger in the 1904 patent included in this photo. By the time he made the prototype below he had made the decision to orient the trigger in a normal fashion, in that you pull it back. What makes this brush different is that the needle does not move. The front of the brush (nozzle and paint supply) move forward as the trigger is manipulated.

View attachment 87539
It looks like the owner gave this a fair bit of use. They look excellent like that.

People always ask that question - about a book. Between here and my FB page I a not sure what more I could put out :rolleyes: . In all seriousness, there has been a few things come about over, say, the last 6 months that is they actually come together may open the door to allowing me to fill in some of the blanks in the history I have been searching for. If the pictures becomes clear, it may be worth trying to publish. Not there yet, though.

It looks like the owner gave this a fair bit of use. They look excellent like that.
That brush is an anomaly. It is unbranded aside from a three digit serial number. Patent drawings tie it to Wold, so we are guessing it was actually a pre-production prototype. The model never actually saw production. It was in pretty dismal condition when found. It was sent to me for photographing and examination. When I originally had it here, I tried to see if it could be made operational. In attempting to grasp the air valve casing, it shattered like a piece of glass. Needless to say, the owner was MAD. He asked me to return it as is... Fast forward a couple of years and I have gotten good enough on my lathe to take a stab at making the replacement part for the piece that broke on the brush. I contacted the owner, and made the offer to repair the brush - and he agreed. I am so glad he did, as I was able to make the brush 100% operational again. While we were at it we decided to go ahead and make some of the other pieces that would go with it, based on the patent drawings we could find. Some of it is reproduction (including "wear"), but it has new life now. It was a thrilling project.

OC Wold toyed with the idea of a push forward trigger in the 1904 patent included in this photo. By the time he made the prototype below he had made the decision to orient the trigger in a normal fashion, in that you pull it back. What makes this brush different is that the needle does not move. The front of the brush (nozzle and paint supply) move forward as the trigger is manipulated.

View attachment 87539
More each day I understand why you, and others, enjoy Wold brushes Dave. Don’t get too many over here unfortunately.

What a story, you definately are doing your part to keep the history or airbrush alive. Is that one a total reproduction or the repaired one?

More each day I understand why you, and others, enjoy Wold brushes Dave. Don’t get too many over here unfortunately.
I'm pretty sure there was a trade agreement that kept Burdick's/Aerograph's on your side of the pond, while Wolds, TC's and Paasches tended to stay this side of the pond.

Is that one a total reproduction or the repaired one?
That brush is maybe 85% or so, original, The air valve casing, valve, trigger, springs, color cup and handle accent are reproductions.

I still see a lot of room for airbrush development in particular variable air flow from the trigger not a clumsy mac valve and I know it is herersicy but electronics will come wether we like it or not, maybe ultrasonic needles that wiggle the tip so fast paint literally jumps off "the end of tip dry" and 2 psi of air transfers to the media with either linear or turbulant airflow you chose.

Back