Pasche vl air valve housing removal

Sbuchho345

Young Tutorling
So I've had this pasche vl airbrush for 15? or so years. I originally used it to paint buildings on my ho train layout.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to break it out and try using it to paint and weather an rc plane I'm building...
I took it apart to clean it before I used it. Used it, extremely happy with some of what I did, some..eh.. it's OK..
My question is:
I got a piece of Teflon tape in the air valve spring, which I removed. After reassembly I had an air leak out the trigger. Pulled apart again this time spring went "boing".. I found an air valve assembly, but it's the whole housing.. I was going to change it just in case.. but... how do you get the retention nut off on the inside of the brush body? Needle nose pliers? Special wrench? I understand I may not need to pull the valve housing off, but as long as I got it....
Thanks,
Scott

So, I just got my parts, I left the original housing in the brush. Replaced the packing seal, spring, and brass valve itself. No air leaks at hose, and no leak at the trigger, body slot, until I pull tiger back to pull paint then it bubbles quite a bit.
What did I do wrong?
And yes I'm a noob both using, and cleaning these things and on this forum.
Thanks advance
Scott

Hi Scott.
Welcome to the forum. There will be some Paasche experts along shortly to help you out.

Actually it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. Paint bubbles in the cup are caused by air getting into the paint path. Typically around the nozzle, air cap, area.
If you could name the paints your using, your reduction, and how old it is. Also the working air pressure ( measure working air pressure with the trigger pressed down to deliver air) it would help.

Until better help arrives, you could remove the Air cap and put some chapstick on the threads and see if that helps. Not a lot, you don't want a gob inside the brush. This has solved it for my VL.

I'm not getting bubbles in the paint cup, I get bubbles out the slot that the trigger comes out of. It happens whether I have the paint cup on or not. I did read on one airplane forum where he changed from the old style air valve to the new style and that took care of the problem. Unknowingly I ordered a rebuild kit today with the new style valve.
So I guess I'll wait and see.
The brush still works I'm just trying to get it to work right.

The VL was my first airbrush I started making money. T-Shirts, 30 years ago. I still have it some where. I was amazed back then when meant a guy doing t-shirts with the same brand airbrush. He was fast and work was amazing. What got me he never changed the nozzle. It was split/crack. About 1/8" crack. You would never known that the way his work looked.

I'm not getting bubbles in the paint cup, I get bubbles out the slot that the trigger comes out of. It happens whether I have the paint cup on or not. I did read on one airplane forum where he changed from the old style air valve to the new style and that took care of the problem. Unknowingly I ordered a rebuild kit today with the new style valve.
So I guess I'll wait and see.
The brush still works I'm just trying to get it to work right.
There is a trick to using the new air valve parts on an older brush, but I unfortunately cant remember it... I will get one out tomorrow morning to refresh myself and chime back in.

any way you can post a picture of the air valve parts, and trigger you are using? There is no seal at the top of the Paasche air valve assembly, but rather a very close tolerance fit with parts. Now, there should be nothing in that part of the brush to "bubble". What is bubbling out of the trigger slot when in use? Paint? Water?

any way you can post a picture of the air valve parts, and trigger you are using? There is no seal at the top of the Paasche air valve assembly, but rather a very close tolerance fit with parts. Now, there should be nothing in that part of the brush to "bubble". What is bubbling out of the trigger slot when in use? Paint? Water?
After use I do a complete breakdown and thorough cleaning. When I reassemble the brush, I take soapy water to the tip, around trigger and at hose connection to make sure I reassembled unit correctly. This slight air leak around the trigger may be normal but I don't know, that's why I'm asking. When the trigger is not pushed there is no air leak, it's only when I start to add paint do I get the bubbles but just around the trigger.

I get bubbles out the slot that the trigger comes out of
Does it leak all the time or just when you press the trigger? If it's constant, it's probably the valve washer. The new kit will solve that. Did the kit come with a new trigger as the old trigger won't work with the new kit.
You'll like the new trigger/valve, they're smoother than the old one and it's much easier to put the trigger in place. No more trying to get the shaft of the jointed trigger in the valve casing, a real pain.

Does it leak all the time or just when you press the trigger? If it's constant, it's probably the valve washer. The new kit will solve that. Did the kit come with a new trigger as the old trigger won't work with the new kit.
You'll like the new trigger/valve, they're smoother than the old one and it's much easier to put the trigger in place. No more trying to get the shaft of the jointed trigger in the valve casing, a real pain.
It only leaks when I start the air. And the first kit I ordered had the old style valve with the piston on the bottom of the trigger. The kit I ordered today is the new style kit.

Well, I got the rebuild kit and finally had a chance to throw the parts at it....
I replaced the needle packing in the body, I replaced the air valve housing that holds the air valve and where the hose attaches. I replaced the old style valve and trigger with the new style valve and trigger. Replaced all the parts behind the needle.
At rest with 20 psi all is good. I spray glass cleaner into the slot for the trigger in the body, and when I push down for air I still get bubbles out of the trigger slot on the body....
Now I just ran a few cups of alcohol threw it and siphoned fine no bubbles in cup and seemed like a nice even spray and pattern. I just get a slight leak from the trigger.....

with no actual seal in the air valve housing, it will be normal for a small amount of air to exit the trigger area. Some brushes do use an O-ring in this area - Paasche is not one.

Well I thought about that.. the seals seal the air coming in from the hose. And I did notice nothing seals the foot of the trigger to the body....... like I said I ran a few cups of alcohol through it and I'm not seeing any of the medium leak out the trigger. Just when I spray glass cleaner in the trigger slot...

Some brushes do use an O-ring in this area - Paasche is not one.
Sbuchho & Dave,
I noticed Paasce makes a trigger for the VL that has an O-ring on the lower paert of the trigger (VL-229). I just placed an order and I'm going to see if I can add a couple of these on. The only reason I can think of for this O-ring is the leakage problem you're having.

Attachments

• VL-229.jpg
    VL-229.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 12
That is exactly the trigger I put in. However it also needs the correct needle valve assembly to make it work.

I couldn't add them to my order. I had ordered some parrts from OpenTip. Samll order and they took PayPal. Prices were great and it just shipped, so I'll keep everyone posted. I attached the prices and the shipping info. It shipped from Kenosha, WI! Paasche?

Attachments

• Kenosha.jpg
    Kenosha.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Clipboard_04-02-2024_03.jpg
    Clipboard_04-02-2024_03.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 6
Back