Iwata hp series and its variants

Because of the way the forum is formatted, every time I log on one of the first things I see is "Latest Resources" with the first line being "Richpen Jupiter & Comet..."

I am immediately reminded of how much I enjoy these brushes! Although, I don't have a Jupiter (yet) - they are the gravity feed versions of the brush. I do have a 303C Comet that is just a gem of a brush to use. It is a bit larger than the similar looking Iwata HP-SB, and uses a .3 nozzle/needle combo. Even still, it is capable of some really fine detail, as well as some wonderfully smooth atomization. The constant reminder of seeing the name every time I log on had me grabbing it off the shelf this morning, and spending some time playing with it. Just love the brush. I sure wish they were still producing brushes like this one.

As a side note - The gold bits are pieces I made to personalize the brush a bit more. Also, should anyone ever come across a Richpen AS-2 in decent condition, please let me know! This is one I would also like to add to my collection.

303c_Comet1.jpg303c_Comet2.jpgDSC_8433.jpg

Because of the way the forum is formatted, every time I log on one of the first things I see is "Latest Resources" with the first line being "Richpen Jupiter & Comet..."

I am immediately reminded of how much I enjoy these brushes! Although, I don't have a Jupiter (yet) - they are the gravity feed versions of the brush. I do have a 303C Comet that is just a gem of a brush to use. It is a bit larger than the similar looking Iwata HP-SB, and uses a .3 nozzle/needle combo. Even still, it is capable of some really fine detail, as well as some wonderfully smooth atomization. The constant reminder of seeing the name every time I log on had me grabbing it off the shelf this morning, and spending some time playing with it. Just love the brush. I sure wish they were still producing brushes like this one.

As a side note - The gold bits are pieces I made to personalize the brush a bit more. Also, should anyone ever come across a Richpen AS-2 in decent condition, please let me know! This is one I would also like to add to my collection.

View attachment 87585View attachment 87586View attachment 87587

It doesn’t surprise me you have so much good to say about Rich/Richpen because you like all the good stuff. When I spot a brush I like the look of I look it up and invariably find posts/photos from you confirming my eye has spotted something worth having.

I will keep my eyes peeled for a jupiter. They appear very rare. I would like one myself but they are not top of my list at this time so if I see one I will certainly let you know. I myself am searching for a few others including a Phoenix, which I know you have yourself.

I love your customized Comet. It’s absolutely stunning. Your customized parts like these always leave me in awe.

The Rich AS-2 does look a great brush, doesn’t it. Again i will keep my eyes peeled for you.

It doesn’t surprise me you have so much good to say about Rich/Richpen because you like all the good stuff. When I spot a brush I like the look of I look it up and invariably find posts/photos from you confirming my eye has spotted something worth having.

I will keep my eyes peeled for a jupiter. They appear very rare. I would like one myself but they are not top of my list at this time so if I see one I will certainly let you know. I myself am searching for a few others including a Phoenix, which I know you have yourself.

I love your customized Comet. It’s absolutely stunning. Your customized parts like these always leave me in awe.

The Rich AS-2 does look a great brush, doesn’t it. Again i will keep my eyes peeled for you.
Yes, I have a few of the Phoenix (and Gemini) brushes. They are lovely. Mike Learn is selling .2 versions of the Phoenix 223C as a "Mojo", but those are about the only ones readily available. I think there is a retail store in Cali that has a few Gemini's left. Likewise, I will keep an I out for used. Shipping across the Atlantic has become a pricey affair, though. I think I purchased the Comet from a guy in Germany for something like $20 plus $12 shipping -

When did Iwatas switch over to PTFE seals? 90s?
They did continue to sell the original HP line alongside the Plus series for some time. I have a original HP-C my girlfriend gave me for Christmas one year in the 00s, I can't remember specifically what year that was, but I'm pretty sure it was new off the shelf from the local Hobby Lobby. It has a build code of DH so August 2004 which would probably make it Christmas 2004.

It has a flyer in the box advertising the rest of the Iwata line at the time but doesn't mention the original HP models or the Neo or any of the pistol grip trigger style brushes Iwata currently have. The included instruction manual is copyright 1983.

They did continue to sell the original HP line alongside the Plus series for some time. I have a original HP-C my girlfriend gave me for Christmas one year in the 00s, I can't remember specifically what year that was, but I'm pretty sure it was new off the shelf from the local Hobby Lobby. It has a build code of DH so August 2004 which would probably make it Christmas 2004.

It has a flyer in the box advertising the rest of the Iwata line at the time but doesn't mention the original HP models or the Neo or any of the pistol grip trigger style brushes Iwata currently have. The included instruction manual is copyright 1983.

Were all the HPs rubber seals?

Coast Airbrush still carries parts.
I am pretty sure that there is a heading for the original HP series, but when clicking the link it directs the buyer to the new HP-Plus parts list (it didn't used to). I noticed this a few months back on most of the parts vendors I checked.

This thread has me getting all kinds of nostalgic ;). Ever wonder what would happen if an Olympos SP hooked up with an Iwata Micron CM-SB? Of you don't. Why would you? The SP was never really made very popular. In theory, it is the same brush as a Micron, just without a removable head base. Richpen Gemini and Phoenix series brushes are the same design as the Olympos SP series, only with proprietary specs keeping parts from being cross compatible. The Olympos is a physically smaller brush. All the more reason I so wish Richpen (Fuso Seiki) had put more effort into the marketing of their own brushes. This Richpen Gemini 312B is right up there with the Iwata CM-SB in terms of capability. Really smooth action to operate with fantastic atomization. I got this one out to play with, and have fallen in love all over again.

DSC_3671.jpg

I have found it easier to find parts for the old style HP models searching by part number instead of trying to deal with menus that seem to prioritize the Plus versions.

I saved a copy of this pdf Iwata Airbrush Parts Breakouts found on Iwata's webstite to my hard drive. It covers Iwata's entire line as of 2018 with discontinued models at the end. The old style rubber o-ring HP-C is around page 21. I tried to upload it here in the Resources, but uploading gave me an error it was too large.

I have found it easier to find parts for the old style HP models searching by part number instead of trying to deal with menus that seem to prioritize the Plus versions.

I saved a copy of this pdf Iwata Airbrush Parts Breakouts found on Iwata's webstite to my hard drive. It covers Iwata's entire line as of 2018 with discontinued models at the end. The old style rubber o-ring HP-C is around page 21. I tried to upload it here in the Resources, but uploading gave me an error it was too large.
Thank you. It looks like coast airbrush has them. I could be wrong. They seem to be in stock. I'm waiting on a reply from them.

I just checked.

https://www.coastairbrush.com/partsairbrush/hpparts.asp

Notice it is not High Performance Plus of the High Line. And the parts in my listing are not the same.
Hmmm, on my browser if I open the link you provided it is the correct parts list for the HP series (although the illustration is wrong). But, if I click on the menu on the left for airbrush parts, then click Iwata, then go to HP series, the wrong parts list come up. It is probably my internet provider as they find it all to easy to mess everything else up, too.

Hmmm, on my browser if I open the link you provided it is the correct parts list for the HP series (although the illustration is wrong). But, if I click on the menu on the left for airbrush parts, then click Iwata, then go to HP series, the wrong parts list come up. It is probably my internet provider as they find it all to easy to mess everything else up, too.
I've notice some links on their website don't work. But that can be said about spraygunner.

This thread has me getting all kinds of nostalgic ;). Ever wonder what would happen if an Olympos SP hooked up with an Iwata Micron CM-SB? Of you don't. Why would you? The SP was never really made very popular. In theory, it is the same brush as a Micron, just without a removable head base. Richpen Gemini and Phoenix series brushes are the same design as the Olympos SP series, only with proprietary specs keeping parts from being cross compatible. The Olympos is a physically smaller brush. All the more reason I so wish Richpen (Fuso Seiki) had put more effort into the marketing of their own brushes. This Richpen Gemini 312B is right up there with the Iwata CM-SB in terms of capability. Really smooth action to operate with fantastic atomization. I got this one out to play with, and have fallen in love all over again.

View attachment 87627
Yes, the guys at Fuso Seiki have a huge production potential. I can't understand why they won't release the Gemini and Phoenix series brushes at retail (wholesale only), while the Apollo series brushes easily retail to the end user. I think a lot of artists would love to paint with these brushes.

Yes, the guys at Fuso Seiki have a huge production potential. I can't understand why they won't release the Gemini and Phoenix series brushes at retail (wholesale only), while the Apollo series brushes easily retail to the end user. I think a lot of artists would love to paint with these brushes.
I reckon they don’t have them stocked so they need a big enough order to make a batch, either themselves or ordering from whoever manufactures them if not FS themself.

Back