Minimax Airbrush

Kingpin

AKA, SIR KingPin
Staff member
Mod
Managed to bag this bargain beauty, and actually managed to get a half decent spray pattern out of the old girl ๐Ÿ˜

She has had a bit of a clean and I have tried to coax the nozzle back into shape the best I could without damaging it beyond repair!

If I had any clue as to how to set her up properly I could probably get a better spray from her, but the adjusting screws on the needle are very worn and I will look at ways to try and repair them, maybe fill the holes with solder and re-thread them (if anyone has a better idea, please let me know :) )

Anyway She might be old but I think she is beautiful ๐Ÿ˜:love:
20240507_152329.jpg20240507_152340.jpg20240507_152356.jpg20240507_152417.jpg20240507_152235.jpg

That is a Lovely airbrush!
That looks like an external mix / gravity feed which is not a very common combination. It seems the trigger will pull on the needle. Does it also activate air valve? Is there a delay between air and paint?

Thanks,
Ismael

Managed to bag this bargain beauty, and actually managed to get a half decent spray pattern out of the old girl ๐Ÿ˜

She has had a bit of a clean and I have tried to coax the nozzle back into shape the best I could without damaging it beyond repair!

If I had any clue as to how to set her up properly I could probably get a better spray from her, but the adjusting screws on the needle are very worn and I will look at ways to try and repair them, maybe fill the holes with solder and re-thread them (if anyone has a better idea, please let me know :) )

Anyway She might be old but I think she is beautiful ๐Ÿ˜:love:
View attachment 89314View attachment 89315View attachment 89316View attachment 89317View attachment 89313
This is a beautiful brush, i am glad you were brave enough to spray paint through it. The gravity feed external mix as well as double action is like Ismael said a bit of an oddity. Great to see it works!

Thanks everyone, it does look a bit scary ๐Ÿ˜

That is a Lovely airbrush!
That looks like an external mix / gravity feed which is not a very common combination. It seems the trigger will pull on the needle. Does it also activate air valve? Is there a delay between air and paint?

Thanks,
Ismael
When it arrived it was blowing air all the time, however, as it is set up now the air comes on when the trigger is pressed and then the needle moves. as you can see in this pic I took when it arrived the needle is held between the 2 locking nuts on the trigger, whereas I have now moved them both behind the trigger. also, at the moment the needle doesn't seat that well and blows paint slightly when the air is blowing, which could be a combination of the nozzle being really dirty and in need of a good soak in proper cleaner and the nozzle not being in the greatest of condition, more work is needed to try and see if I can sort it :cool:

20240507_120505b.jpg

That looks like an external mix / gravity feed
It's a fabulous find and it's so cool that we get to shre in it! Thanks Ian!
It's also a single action. When you press the trigger you get air and paint.
Both Paasche and Wold had external mix with movable needle designs but they were double action like a modern airbrush.

Attachments

• WoldPatNo-00910341-Pg1.png
    WoldPatNo-00910341-Pg1.png
    90 KB · Views: 7
I have had a few hours playing around with her, fixed the handle as it was broken near where it connects to the body (I wont say how long it took me to figure out how to get her apart!! in my defence, I was unsure and didn't want to break anything:) )

I seem to be getting air all the time! and cant figure it out just yet, but thats enough for tonight ๐Ÿ˜

Here is the before and after pics of the repaired handle, not perfect but its all stuck back together now :)
20240507_120541.jpg20240507_223957.jpg

You'll get it sorted out. It is funny the similarities between brushes, even being a continent apart in an age when communication (sharing) between continents could be a very slow process. The patent Bob posted about is from the Wold Model N - Here are a Model M and N - I have a Model J which is similar, but single action. Paasche's was similar, but with movable needle mechanism on the right side. The Model N patent was is from 1908.
Wold Model N and M 1.jpg

The diagram you show is different.
The patent is the Wold variation that is a double action external mix brush. Push down for air pull back for paint. The photo above shows the Wold version.
Ian's Minimax is a single action external mix. When you press the trigger you get air and paint.
Modern single action brushes don't have moveable needles.

You'll get it sorted out. It is funny the similarities between brushes, even being a continent apart in an age when communication (sharing) between continents could be a very slow process. The patent Bob posted about is from the Wold Model N - Here are a Model M and N - I have a Model J which is similar, but single action. Paasche's was similar, but with movable needle mechanism on the right side. The Model N patent was is from 1908.
View attachment 89340
They do look a very similar setup :thumbsup: :cool:

The patent is the Wold variation that is a double action external mix brush. Push down for air pull back for paint.
Ian's is a single action external mix. When you press the trigger you get air and paint.
Modern single action brushes don't have moveable needl

what am I missing? If the needle remains stationary, it is a single action. If the needle moves, it is double action, no? On Ian's, the more you press the trigger down, the further back the needle gets drawn back, varying pattern size.

This was a great score. Iโ€™m glad it went to you. Itโ€™s a really cool brush, a great piece of history. So so cool. Great job getting it working, Iโ€™d still be scratching my head if it was me.

If the needle remains stationary, it is a single action. If the needle moves, it is double action
That's one way to look at it.
I was taught that "Action" refers to the trigger movements. The needle movement is a reaction to the trigger's movement.
On double action brushes the trigger can be pressed to get air and pulled back to get paint. Two actions on the trigger and 2 functions (reactions) performed.
Single actions have one trigger movement, down. That gets you air and paint. One action on the trigger and 2 functions (reactions) performed.
Ian's Minimax is a single action with one trigger movement, down. That gets you air and paint. One action on the trigger and 2 functions(reactions) performed. The needle is moved by the trigger.

That's my 2 pennies, spend it as you will

That's one way to look at it.
I was taught that "Action" refers to the trigger movements. The needle movement is a reaction to the trigger's movement.
On double action brushes the trigger can be pressed to get air and pulled back to get paint. Two actions on the trigger and 2 functions (reactions) performed.
Single actions have one trigger movement, down. That gets you air and paint. One action on the trigger and 2 functions (reactions) performed.
Ian's Minimax is a single action with one trigger movement, down. That gets you air and paint. One action on the trigger and 2 functions(reactions) performed. The needle is moved by the trigger.

That's my 2 pennies, spend it as you will

these all have a trigger that moves in only one direction, and all are either double or "fixed" double action brushes. The Wolds are just "down" -
3 wold model u.jpg
efbes2.jpg
hansa triggers1.jpg
Grafo t2-4.jpg

Congratulations Ian, what a beautiful brush you found there. I hope you get everything sorted out that it works properly. I really am curious how this one works so please keep us up to date as you progress through this one. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜

Congratulations Ian, what a beautiful brush you found there. I hope you get everything sorted out that it works properly. I really am curious how this one works so please keep us up to date as you progress through this one. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜
Thanks Nightwish :)

Back