Needle spring?

Colin F

Double Actioner
I got my HP-SBS off Iwata’s close out page and it’s a fine brush but this thing needs a weaker needle spring. Is there a source? Tricks?

The spring retainer/chucking guide should be able to be screwed out some to soften the preload on the spring. There is a pretty wide range of adjustment there. You will know when it is too far out, as the handle will hit it before going on all the way...

The spring retainer/chucking guide should be able to be screwed out some to soften the preload on the spring. There is a pretty wide range of adjustment there. You will know when it is too far out, as the handle will hit it before going on all the way...

I tried that. It doesn’t loosen enough. I’ve seen reviewers make the same observation about this brush…

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Iwata uses the same spring in just about every brush. Check to make sure the needle packing is not too tight, because that will for sure influence trigger feel. You should be able to pull the needle out and press it back in just feeling the lightest amount of resistance.

That said, I made lighter springs, but these days it cost more to mail the things than they are worth. Pens seem to be a favorite place to look for optional springs...

Iwata uses the same spring in just about every brush. Check to make sure the needle packing is not too tight, because that will for sure influence trigger feel. You should be able to pull the needle out and press it back in just feeling the lightest amount of resistance.

That said, I made lighter springs, but these days it cost more to mail the things than they are worth. Pens seem to be a favorite place to look for optional springs...

I’ll look into pen springs. There’s no more packing bushing drag on this brush than my others. Annoying...

I bought a small spring assortment from Amazon. Just to have options. I've also just cut the original a tad to give a lighter feel. Probably mentioned above.

Back