ROYAL SOVEREIGN airbrushes

Choutos2

Young Tutorling
Hi to all,

I just registered because I got a question regarding 2 old airbrushes I got from my father. I just found little info about them.
They are a Royal Sovereign super 73, probably from 70s. They were probably manufactured by Fuso Seiki and is quite similar to Richpen and Iwata airbrushes. The thing is that I got 2 models, one with a big cup and other without it, and both uses same needle size. I would be interested in changing one to a bigger size to use it on bigger jobs or thicker liquids like varnish or polyurethane primers.
IMG_1853.jpeg
Did anyone got luck getting spare parts for this manufacturer? Its a pitty if not, because they perform really well and are in a great shape.
IMG_1854.jpeg
Thanks for your time.

I would agree they were manufactured by Fuso Seiki - Pretty sure you will not find any available spare parts in their name. The issue you will have trying to go to a larger size nozzle is finding a corresponding nozzle cap to go with it. You will have to see if Rich made a corresponding size for a different named brand. It looks like the two choices you can try are either the Olympos SP or Richpen Phoenix models. I think just by looking at the photo I would say the Phoenix, as it is a larger diameter build than the SP.

Hi, thanks for reply.
I did a quick search for the Olympos SP cos I didnt heard about it (sorry I am quite newbie).

It looks very similar but nozzle is not exactly the same.IMG_1855.jpeg
IMG_1861.jpeg
By the way, I also tried a cheap chinese needles and the issue comes with a nozzle that gots an o ring, making all the part fits further, so the cap hits the nozzle and doesnt allow air to flow around.
Other thing I didnt mentioned before is that I also have a Richpen 212, with a nozzle that fits. Problem here is that I want a bigger nozzle, like 0,3 or more, and I dont think there would be any spare kit of this size.
So I will continue searching.

Other question, maybe should be in other post but… I tried a Steenbeck with 0,4 needle and went really well for big jobs, after being very frustated with my other 0,2 or less when priming. I am overestimating a big needle, or I was using incorrectly the thinner ones?

among brushes that use a screw in nozzle, there is basically only two sizes of threads used... so finding a nozzle to physically screw in is not really the issue. There are three parts that need to work together - a nozzle, nozzle cap, and needle. When changing sizes, they generally have to be changed together. The exit bore in the cap is calibrated to work with size of the nozzle opening. So, a .3 nozzle will be too large to work properly in a .2 nozzle cap (the nozzle cap may even crush the nozzle).

The photograph of the SP nozzle could very well just be a generic nozzle, and not a specific one...

Interesting airbrushes. I wouldn’t mind getting hold of one some day, so please do let us know if you figure anything out with parts. If it was me I would forget Chinese parts and instead try japanese parts, as Dave says nozzle, nozzle cap and needle. Again, as Dave says, the Richpen Phoenix looks quite similar.

. . . .

Other question, maybe should be in other post but… I tried a Steenbeck with 0,4 needle and went really well for big jobs, after being very frustated with my other 0,2 or less when priming. I am overestimating a big needle, or I was using incorrectly the thinner ones?
I'll leave the airbrush question alone because that it way out of my knowledge zone. It looks like DaveG has got you heading in the right direction.
As for your 'other' question.
the larger needle size accommodates thicker paint, Primer is a thick paint. the .2 is designed for finer details and as such the paint will need to be much thinner (milk consistency) so yes, you were incorrectly using the thinner one :)

Hi!

Thank you all for your answers.
I'll leave the airbrush question alone because that it way out of my knowledge zone. It looks like DaveG has got you heading in the right direction.
As for your 'other' question.
the larger needle size accommodates thicker paint, Primer is a thick paint. the .2 is designed for finer details and as such the paint will need to be much thinner (milk consistency) so yes, you were incorrectly using the thinner one :)
Yea I am new but no so much so yea, I was wondering how to improve the experience while doing this thicker jobs so thats why I started to research about improving my heritage airbrushes. They work very nice and is a little part of the story of my father so would be great to make it work with bigger needle.

among brushes that use a screw in nozzle, there is basically only two sizes of threads used... so finding a nozzle to physically screw in is not really the issue. There are three parts that need to work together - a nozzle, nozzle cap, and needle. When changing sizes, they generally have to be changed together. The exit bore in the cap is calibrated to work with size of the nozzle opening. So, a .3 nozzle will be too large to work properly in a .2 nozzle cap (the nozzle cap may even crush the nozzle).

The photograph of the SP nozzle could very well just be a generic nozzle, and not a specific one...
Yes I understand that all components work together. I will try to have some more feedback before buying any part, as theyre a bit expensive. Lets hope that someone answer with any experience with this models.

Thanks

Beautiful airbrush @Choutos2 , it looks like the perfect mix between an Aerograph Super 93 Model E and a Richpen. To me, that's a jewell. The paint cup is very similar to the Super 93/63 and it looks nice. If I were you, I didn't change/alter any part of it, keeping in mind perhaps you can buy the airbrush you want by spending the same amount of money than a good quality parts you want. :)

Hopefully this will fully answer your question(s) - I picked the two brushes that I know of that are similar in construction to your Royal Sovereign brushes. The fact that they are "A" cups is not important (they were just the easiest to reach). The way the head is constructed is unusual in the realm of airbrush builds. It is basically a Micron head with a non-removable base. They use the same nozzle caps as a Micron head does. There are very few models out there with this sort of construction.

Finding a nozzle and needle that fits your brush will be easy. You want to go larger, so I would think your only real options will be a .3. Coming from Fuso Seiki that would lead me to looking at the HP-C for nozzle and needle (other .3 or .35's in this age range use different thread pitches). The issue you will have is that you also will need a nozzle cap to work with the new nozzle. I am certain the Olympos SP's are smaller (actually, just a guess), which leaves only the Richpen nozzle cap from something like a 223C as a possible choice. Finding one will be next to impossible...

Bottom line (as someone else mentioned,) your best bet will be to put the money towards something that will be better suited for spraying Primer. The RS's were intended to be fine detail brushes.

DSC_3642.jpg

DSC_3643.jpg
This sort of nozzle cap to body assembly is not a common one in the world of airbrushes. It is basically a Micron nozzle cap on a conventional body. There are very few models assembled this way.
DSC_3644.jpg
This is the part you have the most difficulty replacing. Due to the unique structure of the overall build, there is just no real options out there.
DSC_3645.jpg

Back