AB Turbo questions.

ausf

Needle-chuck Ninja
I'm starting to get into illustration and decided it's time to start putting my Turbos into real use, not just the novelty they've been for me since getting them about 10 years ago.

I ordered a small fortune of parts from Paasche to rebuild them to new. It was a small revelation to realize Paasche uses the same turbine shaft and bearings (threads at least) over time and the only difference between my 1940 and 1980 is the walking arm slot is slightly wider on the newer ones as the cam bearing changed slightly.

Paasche literature recommends Vaseline for the bearings. My limited background with mechanics balks at that, surely there must be a better grease for this application. I've tried wheel bearing grease, but think it might be a bit too thick. I've also used ceramic grease, which may be too light. The wheels fly with a dab of synthetic oil, but that won't remain in place for any length of time. Starting fresh, I want to use the best to keep wear to a minimum. These parts are expensive and not sure how long they'll be available.

What do you guys use?

Second, any idea what Paasche used on joining the 1940s parts? Do I assume these are lead solders or is there some other process in assembly?

Vaseline has worked for them for a couple of decades.... just saying ;). That said, I have been using a clear polyuria grease on mine for several years. Works a charm.

Solder would be the way to go.

Not to hijack the tread but I had a some questions along these lines.

What is a good brand for the grease to use for the AB. For the small amount used I am sure what ever it is will last several lifetimes.

Also about spare parts. Are there any parts that are more prone to wearing out like the bearings or flywheel?

I don't know how much longer spare parts are going to be available. So it is probably a good idea to get them sooner rather than later.

Vaseline has worked for them for a couple of decades.... just saying ;). That said, I have been suing a clear polyuria grease on mine for several years. Works a charm.

Solder would be the way to go.
Thats Dave. I just ordered some.

Not to hijack the tread but I had a some questions along these lines.

What is a good brand for the grease to use for the AB. For the small amount used I am sure what ever it is will last several lifetimes.

Also about spare parts. Are there any parts that are more prone to wearing out like the bearings or flywheel?

I don't know how much longer spare parts are going to be available. So it is probably a good idea to get them sooner rather than later.
My exact thoughts, I gritted my teeth and paid through the nose to Paasche to get a few sets of needle bearings, turbine shafts and upper and lower bearing. Unfortunately you have to buy the whole wheel assembly to get the shafts, but those wheels shouldn't wear. Plus some air valve parts and an extra walking arm. Particularly disturbing is using the Paasche parts list where most items were under a dollar compared to $30 today.

The parts cost more than both of my Turbos together, though I got them years ago as a bargain compared to today's prices.

I was going to get a spare turbine cap, air blast tube and some others that they still stock, but didn't want to break the bank on parts that shouldn't be a problem over time.

They still have needles too, but honestly, those can be easily fabricated from music wire. I still have a pile of Paasche needles, but also made a few years ago that work better since I could get the taper extremely thin. You can't really do much shaping to existing needle with the bend, but a straight piece of wire can be chucked and spun via a drill or lathe. I'm also going to try different wire types, like nickel that guitar strings are made from.

The beauty of the design, different needle lengths can be accommodated by adjusting the cup and blast tube position. When I first got the brushes, I messed around with all different setups and needle travel. I even changed the orifice size of one of the blast nozzles via a brass tube insert and had an extremely thin needle taper to get incredibly thin lines. Ultimately there is no practical reason to use an airbrush for such fine lines, it was just more of 'because it's there' type of attempt.

Yeah I get that the have you by the short hairs since they are the only to get the parts. But with prices like that I need to be more selective about what to get.

Heck even ABs that are a just a body and some parts go for a good amount of money.

I'm starting to get into illustration and decided it's time to start putting my Turbos into real use, not just the novelty they've been for me since getting them about 10 years ago.

I ordered a small fortune of parts from Paasche to rebuild them to new. It was a small revelation to realize Paasche uses the same turbine shaft and bearings (threads at least) over time and the only difference between my 1940 and 1980 is the walking arm slot is slightly wider on the newer ones as the cam bearing changed slightly.

Paasche literature recommends Vaseline for the bearings. My limited background with mechanics balks at that, surely there must be a better grease for this application. I've tried wheel bearing grease, but think it might be a bit too thick. I've also used ceramic grease, which may be too light. The wheels fly with a dab of synthetic oil, but that won't remain in place for any length of time. Starting fresh, I want to use the best to keep wear to a minimum. These parts are expensive and not sure how long they'll be available.

What do you guys use?

Second, any idea what Paasche used on joining the 1940s parts? Do I assume these are lead solders or is there some other process in assembly?
Hi Ausfwerks, I have tried silicon grease thinking I was being hi-tech, however I have discovered that vaselene not only lubes the tungsten bearings, it also helps prevent the internals of the turbine housing from drying out. I repack it frequently with that in mind.

Back