Been gone...

W

Wayne Wickers II

Was using a Vega 2000 with regular Createx paint 15 years ago. First off, just recently saw Marissa and Airbrushtutor work. Amazing! Can someone give me insight on what brushes they use? I need a separate brush for t-shirt work to push thicker paints, then a detail brush for illustration. Are the Wicked paints good for both? Or should I go with the separate Illustrator line or Detail line of paints? Also, What about the Marissa line of paints? And an all around good illustration board please. Heard mixed reviews on Jamo or whatever. Money is of no concern I want the best. Was thinking about an Eclipse for shirts and Custom SB for illustration. Thanks.

Wicked will work for both, Createx Illustration is better for canvas painting.
The Eclipse BCS or CS(you may want to change the needle to .5) for t-shirts
I am not a side feed person they just do not fit my style of airbrushing. But you can not go wrong with a Micron.

Can't go wrong with a Micron. Recently I've been doing most of my work with the Eclipse and fine detail with the Micron or H&S Evo AL.
For paint, I'd definitely recommend trying some Createx Illustration and ETAC EFX.
ETAC sprays better out of the bottle with less tip dry. Createx Illustration requires more reduction, but has better coverage and goes further because of the high pigment load. That's been my experience.

Eclipse hp-cs and Micron c-mc = match made in heaven. Everything you'll ever need. This particular micron suits my needs perfectly, but substitute any version, and you can't go wrong!

I use wicked for painting on everything. But that's because I'm too tight to buy different paints lOL.

Thanks. Ive always been a Createx guy. Just seems crazy making the jump from $80 Vega to a $500 Iwata. But I want the best. I'm used to siphon bottom feed, was thinking about the gravity feed or the side feed on the microns. I know you can use lower pressure and get better detail just because of that, but any ideas or opinions on the gravity feed vs. side feed? Thanks. And what about that little air controller knob on the bottom of the the micron plus?

I personally like the side feed guns purely for them not being in my direct line of sight.
The air adjuster valve I have on an inline quick release, then any brush I fit to my line has the same option, I know @Madbrush has a valve on one of his brushes but he has a tendency to knock it unintentional when painting.

Thanks. Ive always been a Createx guy. Just seems crazy making the jump from $80 Vega to a $500 Iwata. But I want the best. I'm used to siphon bottom feed, was thinking about the gravity feed or the side feed on the microns. I know you can use lower pressure and get better detail just because of that, but any ideas or opinions on the gravity feed vs. side feed? Thanks. And what about that little air controller knob on the bottom of the the micron plus?

You don't have to jump to $500, you could go for any of the middle range brushes, I have the Iwata hi-line HP-BH+ and depending on where you get it you could get one for around $180 certainly if you chose the non"+" , I like mine very much and with it's 0.2 nozzle it's also a detail brush and would probably suit your purpose just fine.

It definitely won't like standard createx though, in fact I had 0.35 Neo for Iwata which didn't like createx either;)

And yes I do have the built in mac valve on it as @Smiler65 says and because it was too loose I was constantly knocking it, but whether or not that happens to you will depend on how you hold your brush, I hold mine like a girl, lol, but seriously you would be better off with an external version which you can place anywhere you want to avoid accidental nudging.

Also there is no Gravity fed Micron,
I live my SB version for the same reason Smiler does and also the fact my finger has more room around it!

In regard to the questions.

Both marissa and airbrushtutor use a cm-sb (though marissa has a "pimped" version). For illustration work marissa uses E'tac (marissa paint is E'tac changed a bit to suit her purpose). I'm not sure which paint airbrushtutor is curently using :). For "fine art" I'd advice either E'tac or createx Illustration, these are most often used for that kind of work (paint is very pesonal though and oppinions will differ :p)

I myself at the moment am down to using just 2 guns, CM-SB for detail work and a Iwata revolution BCR. The BCR is bottom fed and can do some reasonable detail eventhough it's a 0,5

There's been a few (ok more than a few :p) topics on the micron. Besides it's excelent performance one of the main selling points of the cm-sb for me is the you can use more cups and easily switch between paints (I have one filled with water, quick spray through and get another color in another cup). the cups are a tad expensive, but monies where no concern :D (there are plastic cups avaliable which are a lot cheaper and also work fine).

Another nice thing compared to a gravity feed is you can change the angle of the cup (I wok a lot on bikes and with that you just can't get around having to paint at angles which would be very hard with a gravity feed)

As to the + version, you can also get a quickrelease with an air regulator (mac-valve). I find this more convinient as that way you automaticly have one on all your brushes.

re read post and it mentions suction feed, my brain has been compressed for.nearly eight hours of intense pain so go easy!!!

I too prefer the quick release mac valve, it suits how I hold the brush, and I can attach it to any brush. I chose the cm-c because I didn't want the internal valve (didn't like the position of it, and also more to go wrong. If the external one dies, just clip on a new one), plus I like the cup size. It has the small channel in the bottom which is great for just a few drops, but also has room for a lot more paint if needed. I paint on bikes a lot, so this is great for me. Plus I don't like the balance and feel of a side cup, although the quick colour changing aspect is great, it's not comfortable for me. A quick wipe and squirt of reducer between colours and it doesn't slow me down much at all :D

Feel better music, migraines suck!

Money is of no concern I want the best. Was thinking about an Eclipse for shirts and Custom SB for illustration. Thanks.

I prefer side feed models for they have shortest bodies and this feature gives more control over AB and also side feeds are most convenient when holding an AB. I would never buy CM-C Plus for its longest body among microns. I don't understand why to buy precise AB for detail works which is inconvenient to control:) If one prefer gravities it's better to buy CM-C. It's only my opinion you don't have to follow:)
It was said above about midranges, that you can achieve good results. Yes you can, but micron gives control over spraying than none of mids can never provide. Micron it's just another level of AB. I thought before that mid range iwatas give almost the same results as microns do, but when I tried micron, all suppositions of mine have dissapeared after a couple of minutes of using a micron. I have all High Perfomance series airbrushes but all of them wouldn't ever be able to perform like one micron:)

You've said in general that you need smth for Tees, but there are different types of work you can do on Tees. Those "beach" type Tees with simple letterings ets and there also could be detail works on them. In the first case Eclipse will completely do, but in the second you'll need something more precise. I like my HP-BC Plus. It can provide me with both backgrounds and also details which are very ofter pretty enough for Tees. Its 0,3 mm nozzle is versatile. And I should say the model is convenient to hold.
And again these are only my preferences:)

Thanks. With that iwata 0.3 are you pushing Wicked? And at what like 60 psi on tees?

Sorry I can not answer as I've never used Wicked. For textile I use Javana (Germany) and this paint goes through 0,2 mm nozzle without any issues.
About the pressure I can say that I put 3 bar on the compressor gauge and then regulate the pressure by MAC installed on the hose (it does't have manometer). So I don't actually know exact pressure I use:)

Back