Devilbiss AB

L

littlerick

I have a Devilbiss aerograph that isnt working too well... Somebody suggested getting it serviced. Can anybody point me in the direction of a UK company that provides a ab service.

I have a Devilbiss aerograph that isnt working too well... Somebody suggested getting it serviced. Can anybody point me in the direction of a UK company that provides a ab service.

It was me who suggested a good service for your Devilbiss littlerick, I suggested this on the basis that since your starting out, maintenance of your equipment will still be new to you.

Unfortunately most shops who supply airbrushes will generally only supply the brushes themselves and parts for the ones they sell, even this service is sometimes not the best, some parts they will and some parts they won't.

If after contacting any suppliers you find if they can't do a service for you, your best route is to find a seasoned airbrush artist as local as possible, generally good artists with long term experience will maintain their own equipment and tune it to get what they find important for their own needs, these guys will be proficient such that any make of brush they could do with their eyes closed.

For anyone starting out with airbrushing, as well as learning all the tricks and techniques related to actual painting, it is important to get know your equipment, if you have a little patience you can spend some time learning all about your brush, just don't strip it until you are confident enough to do so and you understand what parts are seriously fragile and need to be handled with the utmost care.

I would suggest you try to contact Devilbiss directly and if there are any approved or recommended service points they will usually know and advise accordingly, after a doing a little research on your brush with the intention of buying one myself, I can tell you that is a very good brush and a precision tool, therefore well worth spending a little time and money to have it tuned.

In the meantime you can plod away with the other brushes you have, it's also likely that even if the brush was in tip top condition, you might struggle to get the best out of it until you build your confidence a bit, for everyone success is based on a good knowledge of all of their equipment, airbrush, paints, thinning, compressor, air pressure, substrate and techniques, and of course the ability to adjust all of these factors in most cases without even thinking about it.

Thanks Madbrush... I have stripped and rebuilt the cheapo chinese ones i have a number of times... I figured i would need the knowledge at some point.. I havn't touched the devilbiss, just incase it was different. I have been stripping and cleaning the cheapo's, and they all work as good or bad as they did before, usually a little better for a while.

I presume that most AB's are the same or similar construction, would it be worth me getting new seals, needles and nossles and replace all of them. If its a good brush, its gotta be cheaper than a new AB.

Thanks Madbrush... I have stripped and rebuilt the cheapo chinese ones i have a number of times... I figured i would need the knowledge at some point.. I havn't touched the devilbiss, just incase it was different. I have been stripping and cleaning the cheapo's, and they all work as good or bad as they did before, usually a little better for a while.

I presume that most AB's are the same or similar construction, would it be worth me getting new seals, needles and nossles and replace all of them. If its a good brush, its gotta be cheaper than a new AB.

You assume correctly, but knowing a little more about your brush will save replacing parts you may not need to, if you have the confidence to brake it down, inspect the parts and only replace what you need to, but there is also no harm in having some spare parts at hand icluding th eones you didn't replace, if you do that keep asking the guys here to avoid calamity.

If I get the full set of parts I can always compare old and new.. gimme a better idea of what im looking at, About £60 for the lot... Not sure what the devilbiss retails at.. but cant see many good brushes for that price.

If I get the full set of parts I can always compare old and new.. gimme a better idea of what im looking at, About £60 for the lot... Not sure what the devilbiss retails at.. but cant see many good brushes for that price.

That's very true, you can indeed simply replace what's needed and you still have the other parts if and when you need, I have no idea what the parts cost, but as you say it's always less than a new brush.

Keep us up to date whatever happens, as I mentioned before the brush is well worth the attention, I plan to get one myself in the future.

Had it apart this morning to give it a check... No visible sign of damage and needle is clean and straight. The tip is a slot fit and is held in place by the needle cap. I can see a teflon O ring that looks ok as far as i can tell. Made sure everything was clean and lubed up.

Put in a few drops of very reduced black autoair.. When i press for paint.. I'm getting a blow back in the paint well. It does blow the paint out but only if i open it up. I'm thinking maybe a new O ring at the tip or a dodgy tip.

You can put a little Chapstick on the o-ring and see if that fixes it. If so bad o-ring.

Had it apart this morning to give it a check... No visible sign of damage and needle is clean and straight. The tip is a slot fit and is held in place by the needle cap. I can see a teflon O ring that looks ok as far as i can tell. Made sure everything was clean and lubed up.

Put in a few drops of very reduced black autoair.. When i press for paint.. I'm getting a blow back in the paint well. It does blow the paint out but only if i open it up. I'm thinking maybe a new O ring at the tip or a dodgy tip.

Sounds like all it needs is a good clean, the little cap that holds the nozzle in place needs to be checked from the inside, there is a good chance that there is the tiniest speck on the inside, that's all it takes, the nozzle protrudes slightly from the middle of the cap, there is a ring of space around the nozzle between it and the cap, it is important that this space is the same in distance all the way round, a jeweller's loupe is handy for checking stuff like that, or a very powerful magnifying glass.

It's also possible that the nozzle is sitting too far back so that some of the air is being sent back into the brush, your nozzle should have a little ring seal around it at the back where it joins the brush, check the integrity of this, if this has deteriorated or is damaged it will cause misalignment and therefore blow back.

Also if you have a magnifying glass (an absolute must in this game) check that the nozzle isn't splayed, and check the needle tip for pits or discrepancies, sometimes there can be damage that can't be seen just with the human eye, but no matter how tiny it is, it is enough to cause bad performance.

Sweet.. I'll give it another going over and get some magnification on it.. It does feel nice in the hand though.. Think a definate to get sorted.

Sweet.. I'll give it another going over and get some magnification on it.. It does feel nice in the hand though.. Think a definate to get sorted.

From all the reviews I've seen about it it's a great brush, I want one myself but they are definitely not cheap new, so I need to save up my pocket money, and since I only get 50 pence a day it might take me a while, lol

Do you know the exact model you have, e.g. aerograph 63, 93, or sprite, you will need to know this if you need to order parts, perhaps you can put up a photo of it, so I can drool over it, lol

Restripped... Looked at all of it through a decent magnifier... all looks ok except for a bit i'm not sure about... In the end of the body, where the tip sits and the nozzle cap screws in... There is a small groove in the thread, it is on the bottom dead centre of the body thread.. It looks like it is machined in, but I could be wrong.. It just seems to have no reason to be there!

Restripped... Looked at all of it through a decent magnifier... all looks ok except for a bit i'm not sure about... In the end of the body, where the tip sits and the nozzle cap screws in... There is a small groove in the thread, it is on the bottom dead centre of the body thread.. It looks like it is machined in, but I could be wrong.. It just seems to have no reason to be there!

We need a photo of the part your concerned about:)

Back