Most versatile, all in one airbrush?

S

Smucker

Hi,

New to airbrushing and about to purchase my first one. I've been using a regular HVLP gun in the past to spray this red burst effect around the edge of guitars (paint is cellulose, metallic) as in the picture.

I'd like to start doing it with an airbrush instead for more control. But i'd also like the airbrush to be able to handle full lacquer coats / colour coats as well (so I can make it a one for all brush) and relegate my HVLP gun to retirement!

I figure i'd need larger needle and fan pattern (and I guess a large cup for when doing full clear coats). And also something that can handle solvent paints.
Can anyone suggest some models that can do all this? ie. detail and larger coverage?

Ones I'm looking at are
-Iwata RG3 (with fan cap)
-Paasche Talon (with fan cap) - will this handle full lacquer / colour coats??

Also looked at Vfan but can't seem to find any in the UK (and parts would be hard to come by too)

Much appreciate any advice as I've been googling like mad for weeks trying to decide!!

ta

Attachments

• IMG_1748.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG
    730.2 KB · Views: 29
I would suggest keeping your hvlp gun for clear coats. Nothing will give you a better final finish. Besides it is nice just to have one gun that does only your clear.

Now with that out of the way.
I would suggest an iwata hp bcs it is not a fan pattern but can easily achieve that starburst effect you are looking for. Get a few bottles for it and caps and you can keep your colors ready to go at a moments notice. And it can also do some pretty fine lines, stippling effects and much more. As well as easily provide coverage.

I would suggest keeping your hvlp gun for clear coats. Nothing will give you a better final finish. Besides it is nice just to have one gun that does only your clear.

Now with that out of the way.
I would suggest an iwata hp bcs it is not a fan pattern but can easily achieve that starburst effect you are looking for. Get a few bottles for it and caps and you can keep your colors ready to go at a moments notice. And it can also do some pretty fine lines, stippling effects and much more. As well as easily provide coverage.

Thanks. The general consensus is that HVLP work better for clear coats, true. The only reason I was hoping for an airbrush that does both is that I wanted to invest all my cash on a fairly decent silent compressor with 1.8CFM (as I want to keep noise to a minimum) and then not have to buy another HVLP/compressor (my current one is junk and noisy!!).

Is it just not feasible to use airbrush for clear coats on a guitar? I was thinking the since the iwata RG-3 is a larger brush, almost half airbrush / half spray gun, it would handle clear coat with the 6mm needle and also take care of the subtle burst effect.

Maybe I should stop being stubborn and accept the fact they're not suited!?

Okay here is the deal , Airbrush = round spray pattern / spray gun = flat spray pattern , While you can shoot clear through an airbrush you run a larger risk of having runs in the clear coat due to the way the paint will build from having a round pattern .
You can use a cheap mini HVLP spray gun for clear coats , The one I use for small projects I think cost me 15 bucks but lays out as good of a clear coat as the mini sata I have .
Have a look at Svee's page he main does guitars and has a lot of killer videos .. Plus he is a really good bloke :D https://www.youtube.com/user/svee

Thanks. The general consensus is that HVLP work better for clear coats, true. The only reason I was hoping for an airbrush that does both is that I wanted to invest all my cash on a fairly decent silent compressor with 1.8CFM (as I want to keep noise to a minimum) and then not have to buy another HVLP/compressor (my current one is junk and noisy!!).

Is it just not feasible to use airbrush for clear coats on a guitar? I was thinking the since the iwata RG-3 is a larger brush, almost half airbrush / half spray gun, it would handle clear coat with the 6mm needle and also take care of the subtle burst effect.

Maybe I should stop being stubborn and accept the fact they're not suited!?
Anything with a fan pattern is not really suoted for detail work. Now there are some amazingly talented people who can.
Fan patterns are great for nice even coverage.

Silent and high volume are achievable, but at a price as im sure you have become aware.
You CAN clear with an airbrush but it takes a while and the finish wont be as good. Most people use catalyzed clears the fear being if it kicks in an airbrush your brush is toast.

Check your cfm needs versus your compressor. I have a very small touch up spray gun i use for clear on helmets.. works awesome and i could run it sparingly from my old 1gallon compressor. I dont see the rg3 being less of an airhog.

Hi There, Airbrush is a specific tool for specific jobs. You can spray clear coat with it but that's not what it does best.
Can I also ask you to go along to the introductions page and give yourself a proper introduction... I mean it seems very forward of you asking questions when we don't know each other... :) We are a fun group here and like to know where people are in the world, what they use adn what they want to acheive. Makes answering questions a whole lot easier as well. Look forward to a proper introuction. Cheers Mark

Badgers patriot and anthem are pretty good all purpose units, they can handle a lot of different chores. But really there is not just one tool for a job.

Mmmmm, Have you considered looking at the Mini HVLP set ups? Many known names have a good selection of Needle/ Air cap set ups on offer. Tho you may limit your self with your air supply.
But if you need to push Solvent paint through anything. Your compressor is going to be your Problem.

IWATA, Harder Steinbeck, Grex, And others all have larger needle set up Guns. Remember, The bigger the Needle, the more air you'll require. Thinning your paint isnt ideal for clearing either.

Perhaps, go the compressor and suppress the noise issue. This can be done to unbelievable results. Tho look for a Cast iron compressor to handle the added heat from insulation- use a insulated box with port holes, and or add a fan to assist. Its feasible.

Dan

Back