Iwata CM-CP2 or Iwata CM-SB2

I was thinking the same.thing
Who looks down the airbrush like it's a rifle? ?? It's an airbrush I usually have it to the right side of me because I'm right handed

Maybe not as straight down the body like a rifle but holding it straight ahead of you and lining up the trigger and tip is common.

Maybe not as straight down the body like a rifle but holding it straight ahead of you and lining up the trigger and tip is common.
It's definitely not for me. I tried it about every way to see what people were taking about. Every time it was really uncomfortable for me.

My brush is off to the side, just like when I am writing with a pen /pencil

IMG_5628.JPG

DO I DARE TO BE HAPPY????
YES, I DO.
I GOT MY IWATA CM-B v2. THE BABY IS HOME.

I got it from a Japanese seller, the same I posted at the beginning of this thread. After some thinking, and reviewing all the answers, I decided to go wit CM-B, because I had HP-B and had the on-hands feeling of it. Maybe next one will be one of the others, but that is another topic altogether.

Anyhow, I have paid on 3/24, seller informed me that he shipped it on 3/26 and I GOT IT IN MY HANDS on 3/30 midday. Japan to East Coast USA, New Jersey in 4 days???? Man, crazy fast delivery. He had two shipping options $15 and $24, and I went with the $24 to make it faster, but was not aware that will be this fast.

The production code on the item is RM, which stands for December 2014.

Here are some pictures from my un-boxing of the AB, and one quick test done in exactly 15 minutes. So, please, don't judge me for the quality of the hand (the hand on the unboxing pics is pencil, only the pic of hand alone is AB. I will try to transfer my pencil drawing into airbrush picture next) . It was done by looking at reference, but with no transfer lines on the paper. I used the AB for laying down the whole image. The hard outlines were made on purpose, for me to see how easy it is to draw them. Otherwise I would not go that dark on the edges.

The second picture (with the hobby knife) is to show the tiny lines that were made on poster board, with heavily reduced paint. No splatter, no spider webs, nothing. The faded points above the line, were made to splatter on purpose, as test to see how much paint will be too much paint on the poster board, that will ruin the effect.

Doing the same with my Badger Sotar is much harder (yet not impossible), and more stressful, because it is very easy to go over and make small spider webs over the poster board.

Atomization is amazing. It is so easy going, and smooth, too. Confidence buster for sure, since it so easy to guide the AB, instead the AB guiding you.

Now I have no reason not to practice. Man, I just need to find free time from all the other obligations I have, :-(

Hope to be able to show you something much better soon.

Attachments

• IMG_5620.JPG
    IMG_5620.JPG
    878.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5623.JPG
    IMG_5623.JPG
    899.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5624.JPG
    IMG_5624.JPG
    829.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5626.JPG
    IMG_5626.JPG
    719.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5630.JPG
    IMG_5630.JPG
    828.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5631.JPG
    IMG_5631.JPG
    878.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5632.JPG
    IMG_5632.JPG
    862.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5633.JPG
    IMG_5633.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 36
Great stuff. Congratulations.

I give every new gun a good clean first. I know the excitement is huge to get going but they actually need a cleaning.

Yes other guns can produce the same detail but the Microns just do it with a lot less effort.

I give every new gun a good clean first. I know the excitement is huge to get going but they actually need a cleaning.

Great advice, which I kind of skipped partially.
I ran a cup of airbrush cleaner, and I wiped the needle with the same cleaner before I put paint in it.
When you say cleaning, do you refer to disassemble it completely and soak it in cleaner (or soap and water), or even deeper cleaning, like ultrasonic?

I did not want to take the head assembly if I don't need to. Also, the manual is recommending using the lube in couple of places, which after reading some threads, is not that recommended by the users. Some were recommending WD-40, which in the manual is explicitly not recommended. So, I went with not lubing anything at this point.

With the paint I used (reduced Wicked Detail black), I got one tip dry during the whole testing, which was amazing. Most of the time I had the needle protector on, just to get used to the new AB hands-on feeling.
At the end, I took it of, and I kept looking at the needle top to see paint build up, but there was none. :)

You have done perfectly in my opinion. I use etac paint which cleans out fairly easily..... so at the end of the day, a cope of cups of water flushed through, a cup of cleaner, a cup of water. Back flushes inbetween and I'm good to go again the next day. Don't take it apart if it's working fine is my opinion. Some people spend more time cleaning than they do painting???

It's a beautiful gun :love:

I love mine so much I bring it inside with me each night, and tuck it in on my night stand before I go to bed!

I didn't take mine apart to clean though before using, I ran a cup of water then airbrush cleaner then started painting with it. Should I have taken it apart to clean it before painting? I haven't had any issues other than some tip dry last night but I think the fan I have blowing in the direction of where I paint might be causing part of the tip dry? Either way I love this AB so much, so smooth feeling, it feels like paint is flowing out from my soul and onto whatever I'm painting :D:thumbsup:

It's a beautiful gun :love:

I love mine so much I bring it inside with me each night, and tuck it in on my night stand before I go to bed!

I didn't take mine apart to clean though before using, I ran a cup of water then airbrush cleaner then started painting with it. Should I have taken it apart to clean it before painting? I haven't had any issues other than some tip dry last night but I think the fan I have blowing in the direction of where I paint might be causing part of the tip dry? Either way I love this AB so much, so smooth feeling, it feels like paint is flowing out from my soul and onto whatever I'm painting :D:thumbsup:
I'm of the if it aint broke don't fix it school. Had my cm almost 11 months and haven't taken it apart yet. But I do pet it and stroke it and tell it I love it, but its all done with respect, I wouldn't want to interfere internally without reason, I'd feel bad about it the next morning.

Except for removing the nozzle from the head, I strip my guns completely. I don't soak but I do give it thorough cleaning. I put wax around the packing nut and also the packing seal before I place it back into the nut. When I rebuild I put wag around the threads of the head and the nozzle cap. Needle cap does not need wax. Lastly I inset the needle, lube it and drag it through so that it lubes the packing seal. I wipe the needle off and the job is done. You do not need lube anywhere else on the gun.

Just remember one thing.... that the ab is capable of some extremely fine work. There's also a bit of a learning curve to it. When I first got mine I thought I got a bad ab I was like ferret cursing lol. But now even with a less than perfect needle in it it paints lines so fine the only way to describe them is almost non existant.
Not sure if your using etc ex but the only paint I would put in mine is etc efx, com art and hok. Lastly you shouldn't have to water down efx unless you want to. And com art is the same. Anyway congrats on the new toy and good luck with it

Just remember one thing....

Thanks, @airbrushingferret , I am still climbing that learning curve, bit for the process itself as for the CM-B2, too.

I am still trying to find the happy medium for the AB. When I reduce it heavily, there is no tip dry at all, and the flow is amazing, very responsive, just too fainted. If I don't reduce it too much, I get tip dry too often (or maybe not, since on all the videos I have watched, people don't show how much they get tip dry, lol).

At this point, I am only using Wicked Detail. I have some gray/black Wicked Illustration ordered, too. Those are my starting sets in color exploration. Since I am doing my spraying (cannot say it airbrushing yet, :) ) in my basement, with limited ventilation, so, I am staying away from solvent pains, like HOK. Hopefully in near future, but not there yet. :-(

Once I tried to find a source for E'tac efx paint in the USA, but it was kind of difficult, and I gave up.

Any suggestions on the source?

Thanks, @airbrushingferret , I am still climbing that learning curve, bit for the process itself as for the CM-B2, too.

I am still trying to find the happy medium for the AB. When I reduce it heavily, there is no tip dry at all, and the flow is amazing, very responsive, just too fainted. If I don't reduce it too much, I get tip dry too often (or maybe not, since on all the videos I have watched, people don't show how much they get tip dry, lol).

At this point, I am only using Wicked Detail. I have some gray/black Wicked Illustration ordered, too. Those are my starting sets in color exploration. Since I am doing my spraying (cannot say it airbrushing yet, :) ) in my basement, with limited ventilation, so, I am staying away from solvent pains, like HOK. Hopefully in near future, but not there yet. :-(

Once I tried to find a source for E'tac efx paint in the USA, but it was kind of difficult, and I gave up.

Any suggestions on the source?
E'tac is available from USAirbrush.com.

Thanks AndreZA se I'm not needed around here , you guys can get along well without me ..lmao just kidding
Go to us airbrush they deliver pretty quick...... what's tip dry ?

Back