Mahl stick

ausf

Needle-chuck Ninja
Anyone use one airbrushing?

If you're not familiar, oil painters use extremely long handled brushes and to steady their hand, they use a stick that is usually held horizontally to rest their hand for fine control.

After doing hours of lines on graph paper, I grabbed my stick and immediately was doing perfectly straight lines without the slightest waver. I proceeded to try different things, a triangular machinist ruler, normal ruler, steel rod, small dowels. All offer precise control and work better than a brush since you can slide the airbrush along by resting the nozzle cap area before the body.

At first I thought I was cheating. But then I thought 'hang on, its just a tool'. Instead of spending weeks trying to get (as the Russian airbrush woman says) my weak and trembling arm to do them, why not just go ahead and paint? I still need the trigger control. Its still me painting.

Thoughts?

It is still another help, like stencils, erasers, frisket film... I tried it once and the perfect lines came out. Steve Gibson from Air Oil ans Lead appears in some videos supporting the airbrush on a stick to make some perfect straight lines.

Back