New Additions To My Toolbox

Electric Cat Dude

Needle-chuck Ninja
I received two new airbrushes in the mail yesterday.

The first is a Harder & Steenbeck Colani. I bought this brush for doing large backgrounds where I need to lay in a lot of paint evenly and quickly.

C0-FE22-C0-81-AD-4-C66-BB3-C-7-B2300-E7-FD63.jpg

After having used the Colani, I can’t say I have any complaints with it. Like all Harder & Steenbeck products, the quality and craftsmanship are excellent. The ergonomics are amazing and it’s really easy to use. Bonus points to H&S for including needles with a mirror finish which reduces tip buildup and improves performance. I also like the fact that the fluid channel is kept separate from the rest of the airbrush mechanism, which reduces dragging paint through the gun when I have to remove or change a needle. it is also easy to change out the needle packing with the provided wrench, as well as use the same wrench to switch the trigger over for left-handed users (it is offset from the AB centerline). Speaking of which, the Colani is highly adjustable. You can alter the length of trigger pull before you get paint using the same wrench and the needle tension by removing the palm strap handle and adjusting the needle spring tension. You can also just the size and feel the brush in the hands using included metal spacers, which may make it more comfortable with four people with larger hands to hold the Colani.

I bought mine with the 0.8 mm nozzle and an additional 1.2 mm nozzle and needle set for it as well as a 50 mL color cup. Those big bore nozzles go through paint like crap through a goose. That brush will very quickly drain the included 15 mL metal color cup. Now that I’m scaling up to 20” x 30“ paintings and beyond, it’s a great choice and offers detail spray gun performance in an airbrush. That being said, you can also buy nozzle and needle sets all the way down to zero. 2 mm, allowing your Colani to spray hairlines. Another advantage to the Colani over spray guns is that I can still use the Colani with my Olympos Clean Pot for color changes, though I have to replace the filter often when cleaning the Colani with it as the volumetric flow rate is so high that it can saturate the filter if I don’t. The pistol grip, trigger pad and palm strap handle or nice, the one gripe I have about them is that H&S could stand to do a better job trimming and finishing the mold lines of these plastic parts before shipping. All in all, the Colani is an excellent airbrush and meets all of my expectations for its intended use.

The second one I got was a ostensibly new in box Toricon-Homi Y-3 Dash. I suspect it was a late 80s - early 90s production run brush. There aren’t many left, and this is a unique find.

43179-B92-0-EA4-41-BE-AE78-459909-F9-F469.jpg

First impressions about this thing are that it is built like a freaking tank compared to my more delicate Iwata and Olympos airbrushes. It’s a sturdy, hardcore piece of machinery. My other impression is that the finish, machining, and attention to detail are not nearly as nice is my Iwata and Olympos guns. It’s extremely rough and unpolished. The inside of the color cup looks like it was just removed off the endmill it was made on, without any kind of deburring and finishing work done on it. The needle spring is STIFF and it takes a lot of force to draw the trigger back - I wonder if I can find a lighter needle spring for that brush these days. No matter. And well the needle has an excellent taper to it there appears to be no attempt to polish it either. It still has the machining marks on it. The air pressure at the nozzle is adjustable by simply turning the needle cap, but this does not function totally like a MAC valve as I thought it would. Rather it allows the artist to control the atomization on the fly i.e. go from a soft vignette spray pattern to spattering or stippling with a wide range of variations in between.

Once I cleaned it and attempted to test spray it using some Magenta Gouache, the brush’s spray pattern was rhythmically pulsing when spraying paint. I suspect there’s some kind of leak or some other kind of deviation and I will continue to troubleshoot. Still this is kind of disappointing as I’ve heard a lot of accolades about the Toricon Homi Y-series before I got my hands on one.

63-F6836-F-63-D3-4224-A4-CA-42-C9-CD1-B02-D9.jpg

Last edited:
I have not had much problem softening the trigger and air valve feel on the Holbeins. Much will depend on your needle packing, as it is easy to squeeze the needle too tightly - which will make the trigger feel very heavy. I don't know what you may have been anticipating about the build, but for me a good functioning Holbein can be a fine insturment to use. I don't think I would ditch my Micron because of them, but I sure don't mind using one from time to time. It took several purchases before I got one that was actually in good working condition. Here's a few of them... I also have a nice selection of Y-2's (both Dash and non-Dash,) that span a pretty good bit of their production history.

holbeins.jpg

Last edited:
I really like my Y3 Holbein and am keeping an eye out for more. Especially the Dash series.
And after it arrived, I was surprised at how much more I liked it's aesthetic's
There was a vast difference, from how the pictures looked and the feel of it in my hand
I do agree the finish is not the likes of Iwata and H&S.
The electroplating is nowhere near as thick or complete. The overall substrate has not received the finishing to remove all scratches befor being electroplated.
And I think it was a very conscience decision to focus more on parts that would benefit performance. Like the aircap paint nozzle and where it fits. And the strange practice of grinding the aircap free of chrome in a move that I "think" to help with linear air flow by providing a clean cut edge. I only know one other airbrush that "kind of" dose the same thing.
Ohh DaveG I am liking your colection:D:D green smilies are right LoL

Last edited:
I have not had much problem softening the trigger and air valve feel on the Holbeins. Much will depend on your needle packing, as it is easy to squeeze the needle too tightly - which will make the trigger feel very heavy. I don't know what you may have been anticipating about the build, but for me a good functioning Holbein can be a fine insturment to use. I don't think I would ditch my Micron because of them, but I sure don't mind using one from time to time. It took several purchases before I got one that was actually in good working condition. Here's a few of them... I also have a nice selection of Y-2's (both Dash and non-Dash,) that span a pretty good bit of their production history.

View attachment 67206

what was the model number of the side fed Toricon pictured there?

None of these brushes were really identified as "Toricon", until near the very end of production from this particular manufacturer. At about that same time Holbein switched to Fuso Seiki manufactured brushes (those Toricon brushes look very much like Iwata HP series brushes - same basic build between them). These particular Holbeins were labeled as "Hohmi", with many being identified with the letter "Y" followed by a number. The side feed version of the brush was called the "Neo-Hohmi". It is a non-Dash version that uses the same nozzle and needle as the non-Dash Y-1, and Y-2 models (0.2mm).

@palk, I am with you! I really enjoy the Y series. I have a few of both the Dash, and non-Dash Y-1's and Y-2's that I could use any day of the week and be completely happy.

DSC_2177.jpg

As a side note - Early models had a black handle. This trio is from the early half of the 1970's. The earliest had rounded backs, and a more rounded profile overall on the handle shape. Outside of Japan, they tended to be branded with other names. The Y-2 version here was a mail order item from Montgomery Ward in the States up until the mid-1970's.

DSC_9671.jpg

Last edited:
Back